SkyscraperCity Forum banner
181 - 200 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good to finally see some substantial development here but why on earth are we building a new surface car parks?

This scheme isn't the first to make this mistake and we really need to have a better approach to addressing streets. Kirkstall Road here is treated like some urban motorway with buildings facing inwards, side on to the road, creating a empty and hostile urban environment.

There's a great opportunity along with other sites along Kirkstall Road to extend the urban core of Leeds with a densely developed boulevard lined with apartments, hotels, shops, restaurants etc. running up to the railway viaduct and beyond. This isn't the way to do it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The detail on the render looks old. You still have Maxi's there and 3 new blocks are missing to the north of Kirkstall Road. I guess the problem with car parks is any basement car parks would perhaps be prone to flooding.

·
Back home
4,227 Posts

·
Registered
31,299 Posts
You could still reconfigure the layout so that the car parks sit behind the road though.

I wouldn't say it interacts with Kirkstall Road particularly well... the foreground building shows that the building pulls away from the road after only nearly reaching the pavement at the corner.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Can't spot any surface car parks which is an improvement.

It does look very nice when viewed from the river and liking the community aspects. It is all a bit 60s in plan however with blocks plonked in space and I'm still unconvinced by the Kirkstall Road elevation. It would be better if 2 or 3 wider blocks fronted this street rather than everything at right angles to it.

Still it's a game changer for Kirkstall Road and would be happy for construction to begin tomorrow.

·
Registered
31,299 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. If I had one comment about the overall design approach though, it would be that I'd probably prefer bulkier/larger/taller blocks closer together to give more space for one larger park.

I can see the 60s comment if you consider the way tower blocks were placed on council estates with the idea that every block needs its own open space around it. For the most part, these spaces are dead zones and not widely used for relaxation/leisure. Are we expecting the shadowy open spaces between each block to be any different?

·
Registered
887 Posts
That looks great! It’s a real shame the ring road absolutely slices this area away from the city centre.
It doesn't have to. With this scheme built along with new developments on the Yorkshire Post site and ideally one day the West Street surface car park this area will begin to resemble a cohesive urban area flowing from Wellington Street with the river/canal to the south and Woodhouse to the north.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It doesn't have to. With this scheme built along with new developments on the Yorkshire Post site and ideally one day the West Street surface car park this area will begin to resemble a cohesive urban area flowing from Wellington Street with the river/canal to the south and Woodhouse to the north.
That’s a good point. I am sure it is possible to redesign the junctions underneath the IRR to mitigate its impact.

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
Absolutely agree. I'm not sure why people believe that four lanes of road present such an insurmountable barrier in Leeds, whereas urban areas the world over manage to span them with ease and actually encompass them as part of the architecture of a city.

181 - 200 of 251 Posts