SkyscraperCity Forum banner
101 - 120 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Apparently most buyers are young professionals moving from rented city centre flats. So not buy to let.

This development is absolutely bang on for young people wanting a house but not ready to move to the suburbs.
I know numerous people looking to move out of rented and buy flats in the centre, with the changes to stamp duty on second homes coming in soon the government are trying to control the buy to let market rightly or wrongly

·
7,302 Posts
There was a report on the national news recently that the buy to let market is exploding out of control again and will soon surpass the pre-crash levels, and their recent tax changes about to go live are partly to try to dampen that particular market down a bit.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Good news - the outline application for City Reach 15/06844/OT has been approved in principle with the final decision delegated to the Chief Planning Officer (who recommended it for approval anyway). Not only that, the plans panel apparently quite like the scheme in general.
It all seems to be happening this side of Leeds this week, let's hope this moves ahead quickly!

·
Registered
363 Posts
There's a large outline application in for City Reach, ref: 15/06844/OT

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NXWBMIJB17S00

The third part of the Design and Access statement has a lot of detailed planning info, including building layouts and proposed landscaping schemes.

A couple of images from the document below:

Would be amazing if the finished article looked like this in 5-10 years time but the density/quantity of flats does seem awfully ambitious for Leeds. Wasn't there an article on here saying the scheme had backers as a PRS? Hopefully we'll see a full application soon and it's just as ambitious as the outline application.

My main reservation with the above design is that all the blocks fronting the road seem to be the same height so could look like a monotonous wall - easily resolved by adding 5 or 10 stories to the north-eastern block ;o)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
The main part of this looks complete but they are still finishing houses at the far end of the site and from the other side of the river you can see the existing bridge which will connect this to City Reach.

P5202423ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202447ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202448ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202432ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202450ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202453ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202456ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5202463ot by tigerman687, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Small windows, open plan living area seems to be pretty standard for new build town houses these days. Small windows helps keep the heating bills down, but means less natural light of course.

I like the materials, the finish and overall scheme seems be aiming at quality rather than purely price. They've sold well, which shows the demand is there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
With City Island being on one side of the scale and this on the other for this type of area it is quite underwhelming. If they make City Reach as per above this place will look out of place.
Also the site lay out with the bridge is a bit an error, the amount of potential cycle and foot traffic from the well used canal towpath as a cut though to Kirkstall road to the LGI and University side of town could have been better.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The fence along the towpath makes it look like a low security jail. This development includes the first back to backs in Leeds since the 1920's. They're now called something like 'two storey apartments that back on to each other'. I've lived in a decent back to back and they do have their benefits - I know many were substandard. The design of this scheme has zero architectural merit though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
May not be anything but just been for a run down the canal and the kirkstall road site had a digger and some site cabins on it that looked fairly new. No actual digging going on yet....

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
For the first time ever today I realised there is a bridge already there between these sites. Never noticed it before!

ere you go max, i knew i had a pic of it somewhere..:)
btw i noticed last week what looked like a toilet block had appeared here by the riverside, and lots of vans also. Hard to tell whether anythings afoot as the site seems to be used for car parking on the rest of the site nearer to kirkstall road.
Scratch that..it's the site on Kirkstall road next to it where those mega blocks were proposed long ago

·
7,302 Posts
101 - 120 of 235 Posts