Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
The area is interesting but I'm struggling to see how far £30m will get you in terms of a quality development.

Below is a development that cost 30m and is pretty uninspiring. I really hope we see a high quality proposal.

Fingers crossed!

It's encouraging that a pre-let isn't a necessity for construction to begin.

·
Registered
498 Posts
could be a fantastic development if the Locks & Mill on the Leeds-Liverpool got don up at the same time, and the land on the east of Otter Island (up to the IRR) could be developed. The potential, with 4 sites facing onto waterfront (either River Aire or Leeds-Liverpool Canal) is huge.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
yeah, although there is still a lot of light industry between Wellington rd and Armley canal bridge, in the future you could imagine a 'west bank' of similar schemes utilising the river and canal all the way to st anns mills kirkstall

that would be otterly fantastic

·
7,106 Posts
Not sure, but maybe you've answered your own question. They must be up to something from what you described, presumably some sort of site clearance?

Incidentally, just noticed it links right up to the back of the Premier Inn and TGI Friday site, as well as directly opposite the plethora of developments across Kirkstal Rd, so isn't too isolated from domestic type development.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I posted this on what was formerly the works/ bankside thread in March. Key points in bold...

Fresh plans for Leeds chemical works site

The sprawling site of a former Leeds chemical works has been sold off and looks set to be redeveloped.

And hopes are high that a project that could build offices or residential units may also see jobs created on the huge site on Kirkstall Road.

Earlier this week it was announced that Blenheim Developments has bought the 14-acre development site at an estimated cost of around £3m.

Yorkshire Chemical Works used to occupy the site before their closure in January 2006.

After the plant shut down, the site was cleared and since then the land has remained open.

Council planning bosses have already given the green light for the land to be redeveloped.

The site has planning permission for 1.5m sq ft of office space, residential units and a green urban park.

Sheffield-based Peter Burrows, the managing director of Blenheim Developments, said: “Kirkstall Road has an existing planning consent for some amazing development opportunities, although we will be looking to make alterations to some aspects of the original master-plan.

“The property market has changed dramatically over the last few years and the plans, which were first submitted back in 2006 just don’t make commercial sense in this current market.”

Blenheim said the site could be turned into office or residential space.

The Yorkshire Dyeworks and Chemical Company was founded there in 1900.

The company went into liquidation due to competition from abroad.

In August 2006, the site was acquired for £15m by developer Gladedale Group.

Gladedale has now sold the site to Blenheim.

Development of the vacant site is another boost for Kirkstall, where hopes are already high that the Kirkstall Forge development will create thousands of jobs.

As reported in the YEP, approval has been given for a new railway station at Kirkstall Forge paving the way for a £350m regeneration project to begin, creating 2,400 jobs.
YEP

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yep. It's definately a Greek haircut. We need more of this across the city for the development game to get started again. I think Otter Island, City House and Lumiere will act as a barometer for future development. All were bought post-recession at a realistic price.

Other key areas include council owned land such as Sovereign Street, International Pool site and Quarry Hill. And then there's Eastgate. Definately going to be some unhappy landowners when the CPO prices come in!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Sorry for dragging up an age old thread, but what with wellington place and all the talk with YEP building and bridge house and the like just wondered if any detailed plans or anything ever happened with this? I know at present an awful lot of the hoardings have come down and the site on kirkstall road has become a surface car park, but they have pulled down a lot of the adjacent warehouses as well and this in my opinion is such an important site that is often forgotten about, I mean it could be key to linking central Leeds with kirkstall road a bit more, which everyone knows is needed.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry for dragging up an age old thread, but what with wellington place and all the talk with YEP building and bridge house and the like just wondered if any detailed plans or anything ever happened with this? I know at present an awful lot of the hoardings have come down and the site on kirkstall road has become a surface car park, but they have pulled down a lot of the adjacent warehouses as well and this in my opinion is such an important site that is often forgotten about, I mean it could be key to linking central Leeds with kirkstall road a bit more, which everyone knows is needed.
You'd need to get rid of that god-awful motorway system / flyover before Kirkstall Road can flow into the city centre.

I do agree though, it'd be great if Kirkstall Road became an extention of the city centre.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts