Skyscraper City Forum banner
41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
30,778 Posts
The island development itself is not something I'm impressed with, but the density of the blocks planned for the Kirkstall Road side of the river is welcome. I don't think that element is part of this application though?

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Far better than run down back to backs, that Leeds inner city is plagued with... or derelict plots of land as this site currently is..
Again those are extremely poor comparisons upon which to justify this development. The something is 'better than nothing' or even worse, 'better than one of the worst forms of housing in the city' approach never leads to higher standards or levels of quality. In fact it actually facilitates and justifies mediocrity.

I'd heard Leeds city council had received a number of applications for very poorly designed housing schemes recently. This looks like one of them.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
This looks like a nice little development
Strata generally do 'different' compared to other out of the box builders. The blocks look like flats but they are mainly three floor town houses but with reduced footprints so the space is more akin to an apartment. There are done slightly bigger traditional town houses too. Looks good.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looks ok as a development, though if I lived there with my young family I'd feel a little isolated.

Interesting to see most of the house types are back-to-back's looking onto the canal and river. Can see it on the walk through.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Cycled past this the other day and it seems to be progressing quite quickly - a lot of foundation pads laid and walls going up on some of em. No camera I'm afraid so no pictures. Their website is a bit dross and I always worry when you read stuff like
http://strata.co.uk/flaunt/
'We are taking off plan reservations from our Instinct site at Ackworth where a showhome is available to view.'

Doesn't bode well for a distinctive approach - but having said that it is good the site is being developed a la the H2O site in Hunslet and this is probably better than the monolithic student block approach across Kirkstall Rd.

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
If that's the strata development in the video that will be going up next to city island, that's fantastic. It's a proper residential estate that many people love moving to, except it's very close to the city centre, and is more high density. Yes it's isolated but only as much as most other new build estates that you need a car for accessibility. This will attract families to buy. It's the type of city fringe development we've all been asking for rather than the usual cheap plasticy tiny 1 & 2 bed flats built for transient renters.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Had a walk down here and the development is indeed now called Strata. Its a nice little stretch of waterway as well with locks and some old buildings.

P5161872ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161873ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161878ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161910ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161926ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161912ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

They have completed a lot if not all of the foundations/footprints of the buildings and several are on their way up.

P5161954ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161945ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161891ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161898ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161905ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161922ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161924ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

P5161933ott by tigerman687, on Flickr

41 - 60 of 222 Posts