SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be an interesting idea for a thread. What are the stereotypes or commonly held generalizations about the main large cities (and their people) in your country?

For example, I'll start with the US:

New York: The ultimate city of all cities. Times Square, Broadway shows, yellow taxis everywhere, incredible street life, well you get the idea. Everyone knows NYC. Lots of ethnicities but especially Italians, Puerto Ricans, and Jews.

Boston: City of universities, Paul Revere, associated many times with Irish ancestry, thought of as a wealthy city with less urban problems than many other American cities. That godawful Boston accent "pahk the cah".

Philadelphia: Cheesesteaks, Italian people, the Liberty Bell, the impressive city hall, Ben Franklin, blue-collar folks.

Baltimore: John Waters, the Inner Harbor/National Aquarium, eating steamed crabs/crabcakes, the Star Spangled Banner (our national anthem) being written here at Fort McHenry, the Wire (and because of shows like this, crime unfortunately)

Chicago: Skyscrapers, Polish people, Sears tower, their professional sports teams, the elevated train, the skyline all lined-up along Lake Michigan's shore.

Seattle: The Grunge scene, cloudy weather, Pike's Place Market, the Space Needle.

San Francisco: The Golden Gate bridge, the gay scene, hippies, great restaurants, the cable cars, the steep hills, Fisherman's Wharf, liberals.

Los Angeles: The movie industry, Hollywood, superficial people concerned with image, smog, wealth, lifestyle.

Wow, there's too many to list. I could go on all night. Anyway, you get the picture.

What are the things associated with your countries major cities and their people? This is interesting to me because many people only know about only one or two cities in countries outside of their own. They may know the names of some of the other cities, but not really anything about them and what they are known for internally.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I just realized that this thread is probably better suited for Citytalk and Urban Issues (since there's a sticky here saying no "list" threads. Is this a list thread?). Sorry. I moved it there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts