Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which large US city have destroyed most of there old historic down town buildings for example with office buildings, car lots and so on.
And had it also destroyed the attraction of that city down town?

Troels, from Denmark

·
centralnatbankbuildingrva
2,608 Posts
Charlotte, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Houston all did some serious damage to their down towns.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Los Angeles still has a massive portion of its pre-war downtown. Phoenix and Charlotte didn't have much "history" to destroy. Houston is definitely a contender, though. Toronto (which obviously isn't in the U.S.) did a pretty "good" job of destroying historic buildings and replacing them with modern office towers. Granted, that clearly hasn't affected the prosperity of the city.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Los Angeles still has a good chunk of its old downtown intact despite massive urban renewal. Every major American city has done some form of massive urban renewal. But from what I've seen, I would have to go with Jacksonville Florida. Totally demolished everything in favor of parking lots and a few glitzy towers. There's only about a block or two of the old downtown still intact at the most. Jacksonville had an incredibly dense and vibrant downtown, today it's far from that unfortunately.

·
2,608 Posts
^^ The original Victorian sections were actually wiped out, for the civic center, and interstates (only about 1/2 of a block remains). And i don't even know where to start with Bunker Hill

·
2,608 Posts
Los Angeles still has a massive portion of its pre-war downtown. Phoenix and Charlotte didn't have much "history" to destroy. Houston is definitely a contender, though. Toronto (which obviously isn't in the U.S.) did a pretty "good" job of destroying historic buildings and replacing them with modern office towers. Granted, that clearly hasn't affected the prosperity of the city.
Charlotte actually had a decent sized historic CBD prior to the 60s and 70s

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Boston seems to have lost much of its historic core. Cities that were big in the 19th century and are even bigger today barely look the same.

·
2,608 Posts
Boston seems to have lost much of its historic core. Cities that were big in the 19th century and are even bigger today barely look the same.
But so much of it is intact (besides the west end, and where the expressway was put).

·
18,337 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is, what is "historic"? Before Modern architecture? Before World War II? Before the era of skyscrapers? The 1700s?

What makes this tough is that few cities have stayed the same. Things are kind of meant to change.

Newer cities did not have a large central business district, and it was likely lowrises or Main Street-type buildings. Places like Phoenix and Las Vegas were small towns about 100 years ago.

Older cities, on the other hand, have been around so much that central business districts have shifted. Philadelphia's historic business district is Old City, and Boston's very first business district is the North End, for example. Whether these old neighborhoods are preserved depends on the place, though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Of course it's no secret that Charlotte decimated it's central city...... as Charlotte seemed to be just in the worst place, just at the worst time, to "benefit" from LBJ's "Urban Renewal" era.

What many people don't realize is that most of what we now call Uptown Charlotte was primarily cotton mills, warehouses and modest wooden cottages until the 1940s-50s.

Yes, there were perfectly beautiful historic buildings on Tryon and Trade, that short-sighted people destroyed in order to build the bland 1970s glass box highrises we still see there. ( by the way, this tendancy still exists in Charlotte----there are rumblings afoot re: destroying the football stadium, and it's only 19 yrs old!)

Perhaps the Johnson Administration's "Urban Renewal Era" in the Queen City should be re-titled "The Rape of Charlotte".

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Philadelphia has the best preserved downtown. All other cities look "destroyed" compared to Philly.
Although Philly is well-known for historic buildings, it has still lost a huge chunk of structures that were cleared for Independence Mall and in other spots around Center City:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...A1BF723DF0F32CE2296A43EEAB908&selectedIndex=6

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...CCB0E3C4ACC33FACEE7D8BD4ACF46&selectedIndex=0

That looks pretty "destroyed" to me. :)

·
2,608 Posts
deleted

·
Journeyman
16,999 Posts
When I visited last May, it was remarkable how few people were in Indepencence Mall vs. parks like Rittenhouse. Empty, shadeless lawn vs. great design.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
The City of Danville, VA is pretty bad. Yes, not many people know of it, but it was the last capital of the confederacy, home to Dan River Mills (largest textile mill in the world at its peak, employing 14,000 in a city of 40,000), and has always been a major influence in Southern Virginia.

"City of Danville

In 2007, as a result of multiple pleas for help regarding saving historic structures within the City, Preservation Virginia’s Most Endangered List included a rare designation — the entire City of Danville. Committed in 2008 to supporting the preservation process in Danville and the region, Preservation Virginia located their Field Representative in Danville."

https://preservationvirginia.org/pr...s-2012-most-endangered-historic-sites-in-virg

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/tmimtw/1.jpg

Danville in 1940

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/mrbarney/2209067.jpg

I know it's not a big player on here.....but if you're bored, check out some stuff about Danville. Interesting little city.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.