SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this thread is for talking CityTrain (and to a lesser extent TransLink) in SE Qld.

Generally this is a reasonable network. Half-hourly during the off-peak and weekends, and 15 mins or better during peak periods on the majority of lines.

To be honest... other from the 15min off-peak service that operates between Corinda - Brisbane City - Northgate, any chances of off-peak frequencies on the other suburban lines being increased from the half-hourly schedule? Surely some lines such as Cleveland or Caboolture could support 15mins as far as Manly or Petrie.

The interurban commuters to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are lucky to get new rollingstock and track upgrades/extensions. Its much needed on the Sunshine Coast due to the congested track capacity beyond Caboolture.

And hows the update on TransLink and the smart cards situation, last time I've heard they are still in their testing phrase with selected Redcliffe to Brisbane City bus/train commuters.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
Here's an good map of the city network

Lets hope that the city underground plans go ahead, soon.

I'd like to see a rail line go to Redcliffe, and also the Sydney XPT line converted to dual guage and some suburban stations added.

In fact now I think about the XPT, I have never seen it in Brisbane, I don't catch trains that much (but I would if I was closer to a station), but you think I would have least seen it once. Does it terminate at Roma St, is that where the dual guage ends?

Couple of questions if we have any rail gurus,

1. Do passenger trains use the Corinda-Tennyson-Yerongapilly line? Is Tennyson actually a real station, or would you be waiting forever there to get a train. A loop serving those inner city stations would be a good idea, rather than having to run more trains to Ipswich/Beenliegh/GC.

2. Is the Exhibition loop likely to ever be more utilised? At the moment it only seems to be for the Ekka week and a half, and frieght. I sometimes also see country long distance trains (but not the tilt train) sitting there.

3. Do many people use rail on the Ipswich line past Ipswich, I notice it is electrified to Rosewood.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can answer Q1 and Q2

Q1. the Tennyson line operates limited services during the morning peak, and afternoon school hours. At other times during weekdays, Brisbane Transport runs the "104 Railbus" between Corinda and Yeerongpilly/Yeronga TAFE.

Q2, The proposed underground loop has one of its branching points at Spring Hill, so perhaps part of the Exhibition line will be used regularly in the future (but thats a long way away!).

·
25,838 Posts
@ Aussie Bhoy, did you make that map yourself, and if not where did you get it from???

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i think you would be surprised at the frequency - on the northern line up to north gate is fine
western is great

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
the exhibition line is important for removing freight and empty running trains from central station. can u imagine if there was a dangerous chemicals accident in central? also, this reduces delays.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I used Citytrain back in Feburary when in Brisbane and it was a good and reliable service. Unlike Cityrail in Sydney, the trains came exactly at their scheduled time and the carriages had air conditioning. It was like walking into a fridge :cool:

Arnzy said:
The interurban commuters to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are lucky to get new rollingstock and track upgrades/extensions. Its much needed on the Sunshine Coast due to the congested track capacity beyond Caboolture.
I caught an interurban service to Nambour (even though I was travelling Central to Brunswick St) and I was disappointed that they operated suburban trains on those services. It reminded me of the suburban tangaras that operate on some South Coast services here in Sydney.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
^^ they don have interurban trains that have curtains and private seating, however, there arent that many so they have to use the Brisbane trains as well

·
6,435 Posts
Aussie Bhoy said:
3. Do many people use rail on the Ipswich line past Ipswich, I notice it is electrified to Rosewood.
I know someone who commutes from Rosewood to Central everyday, after driving for a bit. But what about the people that commute from Gympie everyday! There's only one service each way each day. The train leaves at 6:00am getting to Central at 8:48am then leaves at 5:36pm in the afternoon, getting back to Gympie at 8:24pm. What kind of a life is that?

Maroon Grown said:
they do have interurban trains that have curtains and private seating, however, there arent that many so they have to use the Brisbane trains as well
Is that the InterCity Express? Apparentely ICE's used to run between Brisbane & Rockhampton until the Tilt Train was introduced. See here and here

heaps of photos of ICE's
PDF of the different trains CityTrain runs

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oriolus said:
I know someone who commutes from Rosewood to Central everyday, after driving for a bit. But what about the people that commute from Gympie everyday! There's only one service each way each day. The train leaves at 6:00am getting to Central at 8:48am then leaves at 5:36pm in the afternoon, getting back to Gympie at 8:24pm. What kind of a life is that?

Is that the InterCity Express? Apparentely ICE's used to run between Brisbane & Rockhampton until the Tilt Train was introduced. See here and here

heaps of photos of ICE's
PDF of the different trains CityTrain runs

if you finish at 5:30 you gotta sprint!

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,560 Posts
Oriolus said:
Is that the InterCity Express? Apparentely ICE's used to run between Brisbane & Rockhampton until the Tilt Train was introduced.
yeah the ICE runs between. it actually passes through my station in the morning on its way to central. its usually flying if if caught ungaurd will scare the shit out of u. All other Nambour services use standard SMU'S

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's also a 6-car IMU that regularly runs from Nambour to the City in the morning peak, and from the City back to Nambour in the afternoon peak. To be honest, Nambour commuters are lucky to get a diverse range of trains (ICEs and IMUs when possible) as well as the standard EMU/SMUs.

Its a shame that the rail line north of Caboolture is congested due to single track, but the duplication and upgrade of the line to Landsborough will fix things.

·
The Brisbane Edge
117 Posts
Anyone know when the new automated ticketing service comes online for city trains?? I see it ready at Coorparoo station every day and am amazed that its not damaged or ripped up yet by hooligans

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty good :) , but you forgot the Springfield Line and the Sunshine Coast/Maroochydore Line!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
There was a thing in the Courier Mail a few days ago saying they will be adding the extra station on the airtrain line.

·
New Urbanist
5,526 Posts
^^ Yeah for DFO...I think that is a really good idea! ALSO, there should be more stations on the Tennyson line...once Tennyson is built, maybe they will...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts