Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Sitting outside, waiting for my exam and looking over some notes last minute. Oh, and with this view as the backdrop..

One of those ''Dint it make ye proud?'' moments!

I've noticed that friends on Facebook have started taking pictures of the Clyde while walking into town, on the train, or while going over the Kingston Bridge. It's usually of the squinty bridge, and they'll caption it as ''Glasgow looking lovely today!'' or something to that effect. The regeneration of the Clyde has really made regular Glaswegians a little more positive about their city. It's a great thing!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
M_Riaz said:
For me it was the 1988 GGF that started all the regeneration of the city, we've never looked back since. :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSLd97CJOM">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNi_J7ipgcQ">YouTube Link</a>
1983 for me Mo. Glasgow's Miles Better was the starting point. Followed by Garden Festival 1988, European City of Culture 1990, City of Architecture & Design 1999, European City of Sport 2002, Glasgow Scotland with Style campaign, Commonwealth Games host city 2014! Many many more improvements in between but those were the biggies.

·
uberteeb
184 Posts
I'm too young to know what was there before the Garden Festival but the legacy is pretty non-existant, it's a bit of a toilet round there, I know because my office is on the former site. But my biggest problem with the Garden Festival was I was only 4 and too wee to ride the Coca Cola Coaster :eek:hno:

For me this stands out as a beacon of anti-sectarianism in our fair city... :banana:

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
The festivities start 18th Nov from 12noon with music from the vocal band Willow Moon then the parade kicks off from 1.30pm - 3pm.

Santa and his elves will lead the procession on a landtrain down Buchanan Street - expect all kinds of Christmas magic as snowmen, fairies, Christmas trees, toy soldiers and the Queen fairy help start the Christmas celebrations, the day is​ rounded off with a festive concert of Christmas hits by Santa's little Elvis!

The parade and concerts are free and open to one and all!​

Style-Mile-Christmas-Parade

FB Images

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Had to head into GU to do a bit of studying today. Got to Central, and I thought to myself, 'screw the Subway, I'll walk it!'. Got a fish supper and treated myself to a stroll through central Glasgow. It's amazing how good the city looks in the low sun. I really wish I had a camera with me.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
A while back while walking during a fine summers day, i turned the corner from Bath street on to Buchanan street, it was like i'd turned in to another world, the sun hit me from the shadowed bath st, it was a split moment feeling looking at the blue skies,the warmth of the sun, bagpipes blaring and the hustle and bustle of the world passing by.

I'm a Bit too proud of my city but i cant help it. :)

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Had to head into GU to do a bit of studying today. Got to Central, and I thought to myself, 'screw the Subway, I'll walk it!'. Got a fish supper and treated myself to a stroll through central Glasgow. It's amazing how good the city looks in the low sun. I really wish I had a camera with me.
I did this walk for over 20 years,as my mate lived next to Kelvingrove park,so i used to walk from Buchanan street-Sauchiehall st-Charing cross-Kelvingrove park(30 mins)

Then,i noticed that the Scottish Olympic medal winners,did the exact same journey back(starting at the Kelvin Hall)and it got the memories flooding back,on what a superb walk it is!Another weakness,in the Glasgow tourist board,that they dont market this walk and add another dimension to Glasgows image!Tourists will love it!

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
cosmictanya said:
would you consider it nosy of me if i asked why?
I'd imagine he'd consider it rude, rather than nosy.

The park is a wonderful example of Victorian planning, with Park Circus sitting atop the hill. The university sits atop Gilmorehill, looking down across the river Kelvin and you have the Kelvingrove Art gallery and museum at the foot. It's a very pretty spot.

Mind if I ask why you are so anti?

·
Banned
9,289 Posts
I'd imagine he'd consider it rude, rather than nosy.

The park is a wonderful example of Victorian planning, with Park Circus sitting atop the hill. The university sits atop Gilmorehill, looking down across the river Kelvin and you have the Kelvingrove Art gallery and museum at the foot. It's a very pretty spot.

Mind if I ask why you are so anti?
well, it's dated august and it looks bloody freezing. there are no flowers save for a row of dead daffodils. rather bleak.

That's Kelvingrove Museum in Kelvingrove Park. Next time you're in Glasgow take a walk through Glasgow Uni to the south side of the main building overlooking the park and you'll fully appreciate the view.
yeah i've been to kelvingrove, and the uni. it's very nice, one of my best friends lives in hyndland so i stay with her in her beautiful flat with stained glass doors and buy little treats from peckhams. byres road i find rather overhyped but i particularly like t'chai ovna by the river.

It's pretty. It's a fantastic view. There's a lot going on in that view!
i'll take your word for it :). if i had never been to glasgow, that view wouldn't convince me to.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts