SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this park is nearing completion, thought it would be good showcase what has happened to get it here...

Update: CJ Saunders Park

Park Avenue brings to Umhlanga international standards of the same quality as enjoyed by the Park Avenues of London and New York.

The Development is situated overlooking a 2 hectare landscaped park that has been designed around a large feature lake, surrounded by lush gardens, scenic paved walkways and terraced amphitheatre. The park will be the green focus of the new town center and will be surrounded by the most prestige office and retail developments available in KwaZulu-Natal.

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These werer taken in January...shows the pace of construction

Just some shots of the work in the parkside area. building on the left is lincoln on the lake and right is liberty life

more of the liberty development

looking from lincoln on the lake across the work on the park to the new protea hotel at the end of the palm boulevard

looking across undevelopment land in parkside across to the completed developments along palm boulevard

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These were taken on 1st May

Well here they start.

CJ Saunders Park

The park is coming along well. There is a racked amphitheatre in the one corner, with a stage that will almost be surrounded by one of the lakes. Great for concerts in the park and the racked setup will alleviate some of the viewing problems on experiences at the Botanic gardens

The building you can see in the next two pics is Lincoln on the Lake, commercial development by Growthpoint.

This is the building for the cafe in the park, right next to the lake and across from the Radisson development

Across the park you can see 3 developments. On the left is Lincoln on the Lake, the one in the middle is Liberty and Standard Chartered new offices and the site to the very right is the new Southern Sun hotel development. its a huge site so i dont think the whole building will be a hotel or else you are looking at 400 odd rooms

·
1 love to all...
66 Posts
great pictures that area is coming on quite quickly, just one thing abou the park, why why why would they build a wall around it???
it makes it feel so closed in with the wall, i really dont like that, parks are mean to give the feeling of open space not enclosed by brick walls...Sorry they got this bit wrong for me, other wise i like the parks design with trees ,steps and a great water feature...i really wish they brake those stupid walls down!!!

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost all parks of this nature anywhere in the world are surrounded by walls and fencing to control the movement of people. Look at any of the parks in london that are in a similar location surrounded by buildings and they have a fence with selected entrance points, this is no different

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
Yip even the famous Central Park has this type of wall/fencing. Its better than having a solid stone/brick wall.

...so how long you guys think this name will stay? I mean CJ Saunders doest sound like a ANC stallward to me :crazy:

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
This park will be a fantastic addition to the area. I drove through the area on Friday night but it was too dark to see anything. These pics save me another day-time trip there.

I am also not too happy about the walls, but as Mike said, almost all parks have boundries made up by walls or steel fencing. Between steel fencing (which remind me of a cage), I much prefer walls. In this respect, I very much like the stone walls they have used here.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Also, bear in mind that vagrants often try to sleep in parks at night while drug dealers use parks to peddle their trade, hence the fence and gates, the latter of which would likely close at a specified time. Otherwise there would have to be security to patrol the park 24 hrs.

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yip even the famous Central Park has this type of wall/fencing. Its better than having a solid stone/brick wall.

...so how long you guys think this name will stay? I mean CJ Saunders doest sound like a ANC stallward to me :crazy:
private park, not a city council park, hence no control over the name. Same applies to the roads in the area

·
1 love to all...
66 Posts
ok yo are probably right about the walls but remember central park is huge and the walls fade away in the background and you dont really take much notice of them.i understand from a security point of view its necessary, i just hope there is more trees to help forget those walls... I would have preferred hedges instead!!! that would have been better and greener...

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
^^ dont forget this park has a long way to go in terms of planting, settling in. It will still look "new" for a few years while all the plants settle in. BUT what is important is that we are getting new parks, and alot of praise for this needs to be given to the developers (in this case and at Arbour town in Toti) and the city of Durban (People's park, INK park in Bridge City). We really do have the best collection of parks of any city in SA and getting more is definately fantastic

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Old chairman of tongaat group. See they are just as in bred with their name as the city council... :)

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
^^lol, what ever the name the Park is an awesome addition to the area seeing the vast number of residential units being sold, I mean theres only a certain amount of times 1 can visit Gateway/ Piazza's & the beach :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got some pictures that i took yesterday of the park here, starting to shape up really well. If you click through the picture you can download a bigger version.

These are from Aurora Drive

These are from the opposite end.

Looks like it should be finished in the next week or so, but i wonder why so few tree's???

·
23,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the extra pics mate! Ya it is looking mighty good.

They are planting alot of tree's on the western side of the park, but the eastern side has no trees on purpose. that is designed as the concert side, as can be seen by the stage over the lake and the raked hillside. no trees to disrupt the views i guess...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Going to be fun when it rains during concerts... :banana: Slippery on those steps as well.

Any idea what the name is of the building to the right of Liberty? Is Madison on the lake going to be infront of Liberty?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts