SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Families to be forced out in Clasper Village revamp
by Katie Davies, Evening Chronicle, September 20th 2011

Gateshead Council are proposing to knock down 258 two-bedroom flats in Clasper Village

MORE than 200 families could be forced out of their homes as council bosses say enough is enough on a troubled estate.

Gateshead Council are proposing to knock down 258 two-bedroom flats in Clasper Village, Gateshead, and rehouse the existing tenants, rather than spend money solving ongoing anti-social behaviour problems and refurbishing the homes.

The news comes despite 12,500 people remaining on the council’s waiting list.

The council will spend £2.9m knocking down the homes, saving them £100,000, as it would cost £3m to refurbish the existing properties.

Bosses say that it is difficult to find tenants to live in the village, which was named after Tyneside rower Harry Clasper, and 75% of residents who live there wanted to move out.

Currently, 64 two-bedroom flats stand empty and some residents say the existing anti-social behaviour is a huge problem in the village.

Instead of spending money to fix those problems the councils want to demolish the entire estate and try again.

Read More (A long three page article) - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/09/20/families-forced-out-in-clasper-village-revamp-72703-29453786/#ixzz1YVa5UHoS

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is it truly that bad at Clasper Village? Does the prospect of selling off a big slice of land within walking distance of the Central Station and 2 minutes drive from the A1, and which just so happens to boast incredible views up the Tyne to private developers not play a role in decisions such as these?

You know, declare an area practically uninhabitable in order to prep it for redevelopment as a young professionals' enclave at a time when councils are strapped for cash...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yes it really is that bad in Clasper Village and it affects the respectable people who live in the the surrounding areas. I know the area well but not by choice. It was an experiment that went badly wrong which is usually the case for council social engineering experiments. I know one father in the village who evicted his son because he got a job and adversely affected the family benefits. The lad had to live in the back of a friend's van for weeks until he could find alternative accommodation. It's a different world out there. I would hope that these "problem families" could be spread out through the region rather than being concentrated in one community though I must admit that is no guarantee that they would improve and might just infect all the areas to which they were rehoused.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Is this the place at the foot of the Redheugh bridge?

It certainly had an interesting reputation when I worked in Gateshead, nearly had to take a flat there once but glad I didn't when I heard some of the stories I was told at work.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Clasper Village, Gateshead - scheduled for demolition

This estate as has been mentioned earlier in this thread has now had the go ahead to be demolished - see article from Evening Chronicle 14/02/12

These pictutes taken by myself ( hosted on Photobucket) of the estate/ houses thereon

From top of Dunston Rocket on 12/01/12 - estate of flat roof properties in foreground

Pictures taken 12/11/11

and this one which from memory was once the "District Heating Plant" that supplied heating to the estate - not bad for late 1960's /early 1970's foreward thinking on energy use ( but unfortunately too early and was removed)

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Clasper Village, Gateshead - demolition & proposed replacement

Follow up post 565 of 14/02/12:-

This from Gateshead Council website Date: 30/10/2012

Plans for the major redevelopment of an unpopular 1960s Tyneside estate are set to be discussed with people living in the area.

Clasper Village, near the Redheugh Bridge in Gateshead, is set to be replaced with new homes, public open space and possibly a small supermarket. The redevelopment is being planned after the majority of people living in Clasper Village told Gateshead Council that they thought that the estate didn’t fit their needs for the future.

Residents of the estate are currently being helped to move to other homes in Gateshead. So far around 80 families have been helped to move.

The existing houses will be demolished in stages, likely to start in Spring next year.

Full story on http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Council and Democracy/news/News Articles/Residents-given-say-on-redevelopment-plans.aspx

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Clasper Village, Gateshead - demolition & proposed replacement

Follow up post 565 of 14/02/12 and 813 of 31/10/12:-

These scanned copies from pages 10 and 11 Newcastle Evening Chronicle 30/01/13 (hosted on Photobucket)

Talks about:-

Gateshead Council selling land to private developer hopefully appointed this year

Demolition of existing properties to start July 2013

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
When I saw the phrase 'and a supermarket' my ears pricked up! Yes there is an amenities shortage in the area and has been for years but please don't make yet another Tesco appear!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I hope they are going to rehouse the remaining tenants first. A friend of mine is still there and he is not alone. He has lived in Clasper Village since it was built and was born and bred in School Street nearby so he wants to stay in the area. So far he has not been offered a single alternative. He tells me that despite the problems he would have been happy to stay.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Clasper Village Estate, Gateshead - Demolition

Follow up posts 565, 813 and 898 of 30/01/13 on this topic:-

This from Gateshead Planning Portal 02/04/13:-

DC/13/00281/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: demolition of dwellings.

Palmerston Walk (9-16, 33-40, 41-48, 49-56) Wilberforce Walk (65-72) Tyne Road East Gateshead NE8 2LU

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MJ8PE3HK09O00

Assume these to be first of properties to be demolished - do not think have seen any notifications ahead of this one

These photographs taken by myself on 28/03/13 show the current state of some of the boarded up properties on the estate (not necessarily those on list) - hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Clasper Village Estate, Gateshead - Demolition, 11/10/13

Follow up posts 565, 813, 898 and 999 of 02/04/13 on this topic:-

This from Gateshead Planning Portal 02/04/13:-

DC/13/00281/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: demolition of dwellings.

Palmerston Walk (9-16, 33-40, 41-48, 49-56) Wilberforce Walk (65-72) Tyne Road East Gateshead NE8 2LU

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=MJ8PE3HK09O00

This photograph taken by myself on 28/03/13 and shown on post #999 shows the current state of some of the boarded up properties on the estate - hosted on Photobucket

On 11/10/13 when passing the estate noted that virtually all (probably 85%+) of the properties of the estate are now "boarded up" and I have been informed that work is likely to commence in near future ( approx 2 weeks time?) on those properties covered by "Planning" documentation above

The estate is as shown this screen copy of Google Map image - hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Clasper Street Housing Regeneration Scheme | Gateshead | Various | U/C

Separate thread now set up - so all future postings for Clasper Street Housing Regeneration Scheme | Gateshead | Various | U/C to this thread please.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
It's a shame this estate is going as it was far better built and more human than the other village( St Cuthberts) that was built at the same time. Might it have been better just to have evicted the anti social tenants.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
It's a shame this estate is going as it was far better built and more human than the other village( St Cuthberts) that was built at the same time. Might it have been better just to have evicted the anti social tenants.
Yes I like this estate. Used to be rough as hell but it seemed to have turned a corner a few years back. Would look fine with a refurb.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We lived in St Cuthbert's village for a while in the 70's whilst our house was modernised and it was awful. I had heard that the people in Clasper Village were generally happier with their homes though and agree that if the problem is the anti-social element then that should be dealt with rather than bull-dozing the estate.

Maybe Steve is spot on with his fears of another Tesco development.....

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
A comment on Clasper Village - from the Evening Chronicle, 20th September 2011 . .
I had forgotten about this until I reread it when the new thread was set up but I am happy to report that Moira was rehoused in sheltered accommodation and is happy in her new home. My other friend from Clasper Village was also rehoused and is content with his lot.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts