SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buccleuch Press Release:

Fusion has been designed to be modern and contemporary whilst being respectful and reflective of its context.

Its distinctive entrance to the front of the building is a highly transparent, glazed envelope that surrounds the existing chapel.

The public space created in front of the chapel is to be a contemporary hard landscaped area with recessed ground lighting, incorporating a client drop off point and featuring a commissioned piece of public art. The south facing elevation of the building on Hanover Square combines glazing and masonry screen walls to the ground and first floors, with full height openings and deep reveals for solar shading. The upper second and third floors are curtain wall glazed offering dramatic long distance views across the river to Gateshead and the Newcastle city centre to the north and east.

Internally it benefits froma generous glazed reception and open plan floor plates plus the unique existing chapel walls creating an interesting working environment.

Website - http://www.fusion-newcastle.co.uk/index.html

what it is replacing:

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
The second picture is very bland and distasteful, other then that I actually like it, not many buildings can pull off the old building with a modern twist look, and especially in Newcastle where we seem to get it horribly wrong, but by the other pictures I actually rather like it.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it looks terrible from the rear- not helped by the surface carpark. I don't know whether that carpark is actually for the building or not as the website says it has 25 space underground parking spaces. If that plot was developed then it would hide the unsightly rear from view.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
80's municipal behind a surface carpark is ALWAYS a bad look. especially when you use that Eldon Square-esque brick with tiny slats for windows.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If i remeber rightly, the back section of the building was already ruined in the 1970's by a poor 'health/leisure centre' exterior. Still shame about the nice curved section that hugged the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The back reminds me of the Robinson Library with all the brick and the vertical emphasis on the windows.

Will look forward to see how this project develops.

·
dE/dm
2,397 Posts
Was this approved? Probably not new, but there's hoardings around the site and a 'coming soon' banner on the building. It's not a great development, but the area is a real mess at the moment. Looks like the plan is to retain the existing cobblestones

·
Architect
1,132 Posts
Was this approved? Probably not new, but there's hoardings around the site and a 'coming soon' banner on the building. It's not a great development, but the area is a real mess at the moment. Looks like the plan is to retain the existing cobblestones

To be fair we've had 'coming soon' on the Vaux site in Sunderland for 10 years. :bash:

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

I really do hope this isn't built, but it looks likely that it will be from those hoardings...
The hoardings around that site have been up for well over a year.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The curved building has gone, which is a shame. This could still be a nice little regen quarter though if the Friar House ever gets a decent refurb scheme going.

·
dE/dm
2,397 Posts
Anyone got any photos of the demolished part of the site? (other than the one's in the first post of the thread). There were two buildings I think, the curved one and a smaller building in between. I have long distance photos of the area, but nothing up close.

Seams like the area is used as a secret car park as all of the parked cars round there are on double yellow line. Clearly no parking inspector goes round here.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Anyone got any photos of the demolished part of the site? (other than the one's in the first post of the thread). There were two buildings I think, the curved one and a smaller building in between. I have long distance photos of the area, but nothing up close.

Seams like the area is used as a secret car park as all of the parked cars round there are on double yellow line. Clearly no parking inspector goes round here.
This is Hanover Square taken in 2003 showing the buildings in question.

[/url]LMDA 2003 049 by GBDT, on Flickr[/IMG]

Photo from P&T Image Archive, NCC

Cheers
GBDT

1 - 20 of 187 Posts