Application number
C/02894/09/FUL
Date application received
22/06/2009
Date application registered
22/06/2009
Status
Under Consultation
Plot 4, City Park Gate, land at Moor Street Queensway, Masshouse Lane and Albert Street, Eastside, Birmingham,
Proposal
Erection of hotel (Use Class C1) comprising of 202 rooms and conference facilities, to a maximum of 15 floor levels
Applicant name and address
Hotel LA Tour Limited
2 Tavavera Court
Darnell Way
Moulton Park
Northamptonshire
NN3 6RW

Agent name and address
Lewis & Hickey Architects
54a Linhope Street
London
NW1 6HL

Council decision
Under consideration
Contracts exchanged on new gateway site 4-star hotel
May 14 2009 by Alun Thorne, Birmingham Post

Contracts have been exchanged for a new hotel at the gateway to the Eastside regeneration area of Birmingham.

Quintain Estates & Development plc has done the deal with Hotel La Tour next to Moor Street Station as part of the City Park Gate development. The scheme will deliver more than one million sq ft of mixed use accommodation and this deal will result in the early development of a 4-star hotel on the site. Hotel La Tour is led by hoteliers Alan English, Norman Bellone and Jane Schofield. This move follows on from the sale of their Hayley Conference Centres business to Principal Hotels for £358million.

The Hotel La Tour at City Park Gate will be a contemporary 4-star development offering 200 rooms and approximately 12,000 sq ft of function and meeting room space capable of accommodating up to 200 delegates at any one time.

Norman Bellone, CEO of Hotel La Tour, said: “We are delighted to secure such an important gateway site, which bridges both Birmingham’s city core and the emerging Eastside markets, for our new flagship product. We will be looking to start construction as soon as the planning approvals allow.”

Nick Shattock, Quintain’s deputy chief executive, added: “This disposal to Hotel La Tour fits extremely well with our objectives for City Park Gate. Bringing this exciting new brand, backed by highly experienced operators, to Eastside at the very start of the regeneration strengthens the offering of the entire area, whilst the creation of high quality hotel and conferencing facilities on site will be attractive to the future office occupiers of City Park Gate.”

Lewis & Hickey Architects have been appointed by Hotel La Tour. Nick Williams, at Savills, Birmingham, acted for Quintain and Geoff Robotham, property director for Hotel La Tour, led the acquisition.
Indicative Floor Plan

http://www.cityparkgate.co.uk/pdf/FP_hotel.pdf

·
Proud European
6,473 Posts
Thanks Felty.

I know we had hopes for something higher here, but I think this is excellent news. This hotel will bring some much needed life to this area, which together with the new Courts building should start to bridge the void between the Bullring and Matthew Boulton.

·
Registered
413 Posts
plans will be up by the end of the week i heard, its an internal problem with a lot of recently submitted applications....

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I'd be more excited if it was due to an enormous planning application like a reserved matters planning application for Martineau Galleries or a planning app for Regal Tower! :(

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
There doesn't seem much wrong with the shape or style, I'd say they've done well in keeping the side facing the old pub at a low height, and putting the higher rise bit at the edge of the site facing Masshouse. But it will all depend on the quality of the materials and frankly I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be any better than the dross next door.

Thanks for finding the pictures.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Blimey, they actually kept to the original design, more or less! Not too keen on the slope but it generally looks alright! Cheers! :)

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Thanks for the photos feltip . Looks best viewed from Eastside as in pic two ; sharp and nestles perfectly next to Masshouse.However , when viewed from the Bull St area it looks dreadful as we can see in pic 3 .

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^Luckily that's the Prior Queensway, not Bull Street. ;)

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
The biggest change to that picture is only the construction of Masshouse. The rest are relatively cosmetic. It's a perfectly good picture and not worth forking out for a helicopter trip to update it.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
good stuff! fits in well, they've done well with that!

yeah the renders doesn't need to be especially great, like the v tower ones are!

hope its not just glass all the way round (like a wall), hope for some cafes maybe.

·
Jersey's finest
4,927 Posts
They're possibly the most confusing renders i've come across. Took me ages to work out what shape the building actually is!! But im extremely impressed!

It seems to rise to the height of masshouse, yet respect the smaller island house on the other side :) I think even if it divides opinions we're really lucky to have things being processed and developed, and can't wait to see and hear more on this!!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Actually I've got a concern. The road between this and Masshouse looks dead. There is no active frontage at all. It looks like blank, charcoal/brown wall! Otherwise, I am impressed.

1 - 20 of 1297 Posts