SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleveland, Ohio Film Scans - 1978 - 1988

These photos cover 1978 - 1988. There are more photos from 1990 through 2007, on my web site.

Airport Rapid station at Terminal Tower

The Market Street Exchange restaurant in 1978, now Great Lakes Brewing Company. This restaurant renovation was pretty new at the time, as I recall. The basement seating area had just been opened.

W. 117th & Madison

Cleveland Hopkins

Views from Edgewater Park

West Side Market

Then-new Amtrak Station.

BP Tower nearing completion

Views from Terminal Tower. You can see the Hulett Unloaders along the lake shore by the coal piles. Sorry about the glass reflections; some things just can't be helped.

·
Watch my Chops
6,034 Posts
The Glory days. When the 335 V8's where still in production. Top Stuff!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts

^^^^^

I never knew Ohio was an American enclave of the Soviet Union. ;)

Seriously though, that building is VERY Stalinist, much like the great towers you see around Russia and much former Communist nations.

Spectacular.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Cleveland is very interesting...love that industrial touch...very strong city..More?

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, all. I'm glad folks have enjoyed the photos.

Cleveland often takes first-time visitors by surprise; it has a lot to offer and yet it's on a scale that makes it easy to access so many different areas and attractions. The lakefront is beautiful and just keeps getting better.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
Cleveland ROCKS!!!

Great historical thread of an interesting city.

Questions about Cleveland hopefully someone can help...

Hey is that the home of the Browns hiding there? Im sure their stadium is on the lake.

Also cant anyone confirm that Terminal Tower held the record for the highest building in the world outside Manhattan in the 1930s-50s?

I used to work with someone from Cleveland who told me that the river or lake caught fire once because it was so polluted. I didnt believe him but now I gotta wonder... is this correct?

How far from downtown is Euclid Avenue? Didnt Rockerfeller live there?

·
Registered
120 Posts
these are amazing photos! what kind of post-production effects did you use on them? some of them look like paintings!

cleveland has such great character and neigbourhoods....I love the are of Coventry and Little Italy...Mama Santa's is one of the greatest restaurants ever!

·
I know, I know!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
these are amazing photos! what kind of post-production effects did you use on them? some of them look like paintings!

cleveland has such great character and neigbourhoods....I love the are of Coventry and Little Italy...Mama Santa's is one of the greatest restaurants ever!
The photos are scans from 35mm and 120 roll film negatives and transparencies, using a Nikon 9000ED scanner. I scanned them at 2400dpi and saved them as TIF files, and then reopened them in Photoshop CS2, resized them to 800x600 @ 72dpi and applied color and contrast adjustments and a little sharpening as required, and saved them as JPGs at quality level 9.

Cleveland's neighborhoods are great; during the Art Walk, Little Italy is hoppin'. Corbo's is another neat establishment there.

If you haven't followed the link to the other photos through 2007, I recommend it. There are quite a few photos from my favorite Cleveland attraction, West Side Market. You'll want to raid the fridge when you're done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a great set and one that holds some fond memories for me as well. Before moving to Chicago, I lived a considerable part of my youth in rural Ohio and even though Columbus was closer, Cleveland is where you went for true urbanity. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Great historical thread of an interesting city.

Questions about Cleveland hopefully someone can help...

Hey is that the home of the Browns hiding there? Im sure their stadium is on the lake.

Also cant anyone confirm that Terminal Tower held the record for the highest building in the world outside Manhattan in the 1930s-50s?

I used to work with someone from Cleveland who told me that the river or lake caught fire once because it was so polluted. I didnt believe him but now I gotta wonder... is this correct?

How far from downtown is Euclid Avenue? Didnt Rockerfeller live there?
1. Wasn't built yet

2. I don't know

3. Yes, the lake caught on fire because of pollution and chemicals in the water.

4. I don't know

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
fascinating, I'm currently writing up a report on the new BRT system on Euclid Avenue and am procrastinating and then come across these beauties of Cleveland.

In response to Milan Luka, Euclid Avenue runs from the CBD (Public Sq) which I think is one of these:

it then runs for about 10km East. Used to be known as Millionaires Row but in mid/late 20th century experienced significant deterioation and economic blight. Hopefully the new BRT might reverse this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts