SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Known as "The Rapid" this is the second oldest rapid transit system still in operation in the Midwestern U.S (after Chicago). Cleveland also had the first airport rail link in the US which opened in 1968. The system consists of one heavy rail line (the Red line) and two light rail lines (the Blue and Green lines). There is also a BRT line known as the "HealthLine" that runs between Downtown and University Circle.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Wikipedia: "In 2007, RTA was named the best public transit system in North America by the American Public Transportation Association, for "demonstrating achievement in efficiency and effectiveness." I didn't know that! :)

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
^^ That's surprising given the red line "rapid transit" only runs every 20 minutes and the blue or green only seem to run every 15 minutes. Seems quite infrequent.
Service levels are not a requirement for rapid transit. Many subway systems have service that is worse than 20 minutes. Miami runs 30 minutes on the weekends.

I have been to Cleveland a couple o times, and the RTA is actually a well-run system for the city.
Cleveland is pretty run down city, and the RTA is working with limited funding. If the money was there, I am sure the service would improve.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Service levels are not a requirement for rapid transit. Many subway systems have service that is worse than 20 minutes. Miami runs 30 minutes on the weekends.

I have been to Cleveland a couple o times, and the RTA is actually a well-run system for the city.
Cleveland is pretty run down city, and the RTA is working with limited funding. If the money was there, I am sure the service would improve.
For a Rust Belt city they are actually doing a good job of providing transit service.

That being said there is a number of new infill development along Euclid which is encouraging, along with new residential lofts in Downtown, Ohio City, Tremont, Little Italy, University Circle, etc. I would say Cleveland is slowly changing for the better.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I thought I will show you guys some photos of Tower City. Formerly known as Cleveland Union Terminal it was renamed Tower City Center also in addition to being the main hub of the RTA Rapid rail network, this was also originally Cleveland's main intercity rail terminal. However once Amtrak decided to pull out some developers renovated the station and turned it into a shopping mall similar to Union Station in Washington D.C. There is also a skyway connecting Tower City to Progressive Field and the Quicken Loans Arena (where the Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Cavaliers play).

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Remodel of the Puritas Rapid station now under construction.

East Elevation Rendering of the E. 55 St. Rapid Station reconstruction.

View of the current Lee/Van Aken Rapid Station.

The new proposed design for the Lee/Van Aken station.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not at the moment no, but they are doing studies to expand the Red and Blue lines along with the new intermodal transportation center to connect the Rapid with Amtrak and the proposed commuter rail lines to Akron and Canton.

·
18,520 Posts

Which subway systems have services less than 20 minutes? I can't think of a single one outside of the United States actually...

Also, high service frequency is one of the prerequisites of being a metro system.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

I don't know american standards for rapid transit, but in Europe the majority of metro trains run 3 - 5 minutes maximum.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts