SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 4693 Posts

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because the other thread title irritates me, on the basis that its pure nonsense, so I started a new one :lol:

Anyway, Adelaide record a record number of days above 40 degrees today.

Today’s top of 40.9C breaks new record in South Australia of number of summer days with maximum over 40 degrees
CRAIG COOK
THE ADVERTISER
FEBRUARY 11, 2014 3:46PM

WELL Adelaide, we did it - setting a new record for the number of summer days with a maximum over 40 degrees.

According to the Bureau or Meterology, Adelaide hit 42C at 2.43pm, exceeding the record of 11 days with a maximum of 40 degrees or more.

Australia’s premier weather service says summer’s extreme temperatures are just the natural consequence of “man-made’’ climate change.

And we had better get used to it.

Ten of the previous extreme heat days, one in December, six in January and three in February , exceeded 42 degrees.

The State Emergency Service has issued an extreme heat warning across the state, saying it presented a threat to public safety.

“People are urged to take appropriate precautions to ensure their wellbeing during this heat event,” it says.

The public is asked to take extreme care, drink plenty of fluids, stay indoors and keep an eye on elderly friends and relatives, children and pets.

Last month was the hottest January on record and the state recorded its fourth hottest day in history of 45.1c on January 14.

And the five consecutive days above 42 degrees from January 13 to January 17 were also an unwanted record.

“This pattern is consistent with what we expect under climate change — and under a warming planet we also expect the number of extreme days to occur,’’ Paul Lainio, from the Bureau of Meteorology said.

“We’ve had so much heat we’ve probably forgotten that we had several relatively cool days at the start of January.’’

While the average maximum temperature in the last 31 days in Adelaide is almost 36 degrees (35.7C), some areas of the state have sweltered under even greater maximums.

“Coober Pedy has averaged 40 degrees in February,’’ Mr Lainio added.

“Heat has been sitting in the north of the state for weeks and this is the main reason we (in Adelaide) have returned to above 40 degrees so often,’’

On the back of the hottest year since records began over 100 years ago, across Australia and South Australia last year, South Australia is now looking to record its hottest ever summer.

The Bureau says its data supports the scientific community that argues increasing greenhouse gases, attributed to human activity, are trapping more heat and causing higher temperatures.

“The earth has experienced climate change for ever and a day and there are natural contributors to climate change but our observations strongly support that recently it is almost entirely due to what people have done to the atmosphere,’’ Mr Lainio added.

The Bureau believes other extreme weather events, including last week’s high winds that caused extensive damage across Adelaide’s eastern suburbs last week, can also be “connected” to increasing temperatures.

The long-term trends are pretty clear,’’ Darren Ray from the bureau’s climate data services said.

“In the last five years we’ve had a number of very significant heatwave events that we used to see once or twice every 100 years and they have an impact on other weather events.’’

“The force of last week’s winds were certainly enhanced by an increasing temperature gradient.’’
Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/todays-top-of-409c-breaks-new-record-in-south-australia-of-number-of-summer-days-with-maximum-over-40-degrees/story-fnl1ee8j-1226823469780

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
No..they didn't because the science is in...complete...known...we just have to get all the people to accept that it is a done deal...finished...

hmmm but wait...they have just found that something is different...a couple of days ago, so as it still fits their mission can post it proudly and go forth...

sheeez...Science is science and it is a ever evolving thing and you don't shut down those that don't agree...that's how it works. Continual inspection and investigation and the truth will happen...OK I know idelogs will continue to pray to their god of climate change...when really they have just latched onto something that has always been...Climate Change is, has, will always be part of a living planet...haaa laugh looking at tonights TV news...The flooding of the Thames River in London is the Prime Ministers fault...haa now if you said Tony Abbott I would try to understand but your all Fuc#*d...really !

Reactions: Derek40

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
No.........throw in your opinions. Just don't expect a love in...this is not 1965. Heck you wouldn't know what that means...heee it was good, but that's not important right now : )

PS....can someone make a post or thread where my first reply is YES ?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Something for people to think about ... from stuff 20-30 years ago.

As the Arctic warms and melts, it increases the precipitation over Northern North America (and Western Europe) ... and we don't give a bugger about Siberia do we?

"All just cycles" ... big or small .... why would anyone be bothered measuring anything?

OK, when records are broken, let's record them ... maybe a new thread.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
30 Posts
Because the other thread title irritates me, on the basis that its pure nonsense, so I started a new one :lol:
Climate denialism is so strong in Australia because the "right to an opinion" is more respected than actual physical evidence. And since it is much more reassuring and less anxiety-inducing to assume that we can not/do not influence the climate, many choose to embrace this "belief" even as the already staggering evidence against it continues to mount. At least if our society endures, you and I will know that we were on the right side of history. A small degree of comfort though that may be in the face of environmental and economic collapse.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Climate denialism is so strong in Australia because the "right to an opinion" is more respected than actual physical evidence. And since it is much more reassuring and less anxiety-inducing to assume that we can not/do not influence the climate, many choose to embrace this "belief" even as the already staggering evidence against it continues to mount. At least if our society endures, you and I will know that we were on the right side of history. A small degree of comfort though that may be in the face of environmental and economic collapse.
its the world is flat syndrome. Didn't it take years and years and years for the general moronic public to finally believe that scientists were correct in proving the world is round.

Exactly the same thing here - middle class suburban geriatric senile uneducated masses (my mother is one) thinking that their opinion is true, and that 97% of scientists who have spent years and years on education and research are the ones that are wrong. Then we have News Ltd media actively seeking out the attention seeking 3% "scientists" who oppose climate change, and giving them half of the media space. They really should only get 3% of media space, but when you are associated with the Liberal Party, News Ltd need to make up all sorts of crap to the public to influence the Liberals can get into govt.

Every single subject and issue in science has a minority of scientists opposing, that's how you get attention and get famous in the mainstream media, although your scholared peers will start to shun you

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't know anyone who denies there's a climate.

Don't know anyone who denies the climate changes or opposes climate change.

What I do see people questioning is how much is natural, and how much is anthropogenic. It's ok. for people to question the degree of anthropogenic climate change, that is part of science, and there's no need to call people who disagree with you "deniers" just because they think nature has a larger role.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
It's not about what people 'think', its about what the evidence shows. You can 'think' all you want, but that doesn't mean your opinion is valid or should be given airspace.

Climate systems are obviously variable, but you should still be able to identify the natural factors driving the warming. The fact is that despite billions of dollars being available to any scientist to show a natural cause to the warming, not one such cause has actually been identified.

Human activity on the other hand...

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
no need to call people who disagree with you "deniers" just because they think nature has a larger role.
Climate science knows a lot more about this than you think... We know exactly the emissions of nature, and man. And how man made emissions are throwing the balance off. Enough for a slight net increase, which becomes significant over decades. The atmosphere works a little bit like a financial balance sheet, only it's had thousands of years to find an equilibrium.

Also FYI, this graph is a few years old. We're now up to 397.80ppm, and will likely reach 400ppm by the end of the year, yep the current rate is about 2.5ppm added a year. 350ppm is the level that needs to be maintained to avoid any changes to the climate... We are already suffering impacts, as is obvious to everyone in this country. Heatwaves, drought, bigger floods, bigger bush fires. Only going to get worse as we rocket towards 450ppm.

·
Registered
772 Posts
How much do scientists know about clouds for instance ? I can't see it mentioned in your graphs. You will find there is great debate in the scientific community about the impact of water vapour and clouds on climate change, the former being a greenhouse gas, the latter being an albedo gas. H2O dwarfs co2 in terms of volume in the atmosphere.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Yes, yes there is.

The discussion on clouds is based around the multiplier effect. To put it very simply, there is genuine scientific discussion around whether climate changes resulting from increased greenhouse gasses will increase/decrease or have no impact on cloud cover.

The uncertainty around multipliers like cloud cover is the main reason climate change warming estimates cover such a broad range (something like 0.5 degrees to 6 degrees warmer by 2100).

The temperature increase that would directly be caused by the additional greenhouse gasses is actually quite easy to predict, as the climate forcing effect of CO2 and other gasses is very well understood (and has been for many, many years). This impact would be something in the order of an additional 1-2 degrees by 2100 (depending on how much gas we put into the atmosphere).

The uncertainty is to whether that 1-2 degree warming will result in feeback loops (ice cap melting, clound cover changes etc) that would increase the warming or whether the additional energy would result in changes to ocean currents, cloud cover that mutes the level of warming.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You will also find scientists who think variances in solar activity have an impact on cloud cover and therefore on Earth's temperature. This theory has been taken seriously enough to perform experiments at CERN. I understand the paper is under going peer review.

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/experiments/cloud
The issue I find most amusing, whilst acknowledging humans impact on CO2 emissions and impact on CO2 levels in the atmosphere and flow on effect to warming is that most pushing the catastrophic climate change line, never acknowledge or express any views on the fact that the climate has been naturally variable for hundreds of millions of years and even in recent history (pre human industrialisation). There now almost seems to be a view that the process's which cause natural variability have somehow stopped because us humans are now putting Co2 into the atmosphere, that these processes somehow no longer apply or will impact the climate going forward

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You will also find scientists who think variances in solar activity have an impact on cloud cover and therefore on Earth's temperature. This theory has been taken seriously enough to perform experiments at CERN. I understand the paper is under going peer review.

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/experiments/cloud
Don't confuse cosmic rays and solar activity.

The relationship between solar activity and climate is pretty well established, and has been corrected for in the various climate change models.

Cosmic rays are different, as they are radiation from outside the solar system.

·
no, not that one.
91 Posts
The issue I find most amusing, whilst acknowledging humans impact on CO2 emissions and impact on CO2 levels in the atmosphere and flow on effect to warming is that most pushing the catastrophic climate change line, never acknowledge or express any views on the fact that the climate has been naturally variable for hundreds of millions of years and even in recent history (pre human industrialisation). There now almost seems to be a view that the process's which cause natural variability have somehow stopped because us humans are now putting Co2 into the atmosphere, that these processes somehow no longer apply or will impact the climate going forward

I think the scientists studying this know very well about natural changes, but there is little they/we can do about what happens naturally. We can however be held accountable for human actions which cause the climate to change, so that is what gets discussed.

1 - 20 of 4693 Posts