SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 585 Posts

·
13,008 Posts
I've stayed at the County Hall Premier Inn - really well done. To be honest as far as hotel chains go, Premier Inn are pretty good for the price you pay.

The only weird thing in County Hall is the feeling that the floor's moving when you're in the rooms. Not shaking as if there's an undergroung going past, but actually swaying slightly. I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the floors are suspended on cables from above somehow, possibly due to listing restrictions on drilling into the walls to support new floors.

As for the Travelodge, it's a shame that they've got the Co-op, but as people have said it'll keep the Stag/Hen groups heading for The Gate in one nice neat area. Well, when I say nice and neat, you know what I mean...
Premier Inn do the thing quite well. If I am claiming exes' I'll sometimes spring for the Marriot on the other side.

When I am on an uber [or is that mini] budget restriction I use Etap. I really get the sense that Travelodge are stretching refurbs on their hotels beyond what s acceptable these days. I ended up in a god-awful one in Luton not long ago [the one just off the M1, used to be the Luton Gateway]. No hot water [and I mean no hot water]. Reception at 11pm 'sorry can't move you'. After the judicious use of a baseball bat with nails in the end I managed to secure a refund.

Hopefully the stag and hens will move from the Quayside one to the gate. Friday night there was effectively a party in the street in front of it at 2am - with no sign of anyone doing anything about it.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Premier Inn do the thing quite well. If I am claiming exes' I'll sometimes spring for the Marriot on the other side.

When I am on an uber [or is that mini] budget restriction I use Etap. I really get the sense that Travelodge are stretching refurbs on their hotels beyond what s acceptable these days. I ended up in a god-awful one in Luton not long ago [the one just off the M1, used to be the Luton Gateway]. No hot water [and I mean no hot water]. Reception at 11pm 'sorry can't move you'. After the judicious use of a baseball bat with nails in the end I managed to secure a refund.

Hopefully the stag and hens will move from the Quayside one to the gate. Friday night there was effectively a party in the street in front of it at 2am - with no sign of anyone doing anything about it.
Picked this up from the Hotel Framework Travel Plan:

The Hotel has been described as a budget hotel, designed to provide good quality and affordable overnight accommodation in a convenient location. As a budget operator, staffing levels are kept to a minimum and the hotels do not tend to offer facilities provided by the more ‘traditional’ image of a hotel such as fitness centres or conference/function facilities. The proposed budget hotel at Newgate Street will incorporate a cafe/bar area predominantly for the use of hotel guests.

The proposed pedestrian access to the hotel will be off St Andrews Street,

·
Northumberland Import
1,561 Posts
From my learned self on January 26th 2011 on the Co-Op

jkkne said:
It's a perfect site for a Travelodge or a Holiday Inn style accomodation.

Wonder if Jury's considered it before they built up by the arena (and now down in Gateshead)
With an aged looking supermarket below it I doubt the four star brigade were rushing to jump in. I guess it'll be one of Travelodge's new style rooms with near bare walls and floors, mounted tv and no wardrobe/desks.

I noticed they were recruiting for 'possible' North East placements a while ago but thought nothing of it.

Having been on Percy Street when the Gate kicks out...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want any four star hotel guests anywhere near the place.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I see that one of the things holding up any work at the Newgate Street development will be the fact that they have a roosting colony of Bats to deal with. :devil:

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LP3I67BS05100
So the current Co-op food hall will be divided into 4 units after the refurb:

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/files/BF858EDD9AD06EC4DE7ED94C76B11A04/pdf/document-274325.pdf

I understood that they wanted to retain a presence on the site - If so, it will have to be a much reduced one.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
So the current Co-op food hall will be divided into 4 units after the refurb:

http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/files/BF858EDD9AD06EC4DE7ED94C76B11A04/pdf/document-274325.pdf

I understood that they wanted to retain a presence on the site - If so, it will have to be a much reduced one.
Design and Access Statement indicates:

Retail. The Co-op intends to retain a presence on site in the form
of a Food Hall of approximately 10,000 square feet. Other retail
uses have been considered at ground floor, basement level and first floor.

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
The Co-op is gasping its last. I noted yesterday an entire aisle has been removed, and the place was, as usual, like the Marie Celeste.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
The Co-op is gasping its last. I noted yesterday an entire aisle has been removed, and the place was, as usual, like the Marie Celeste.
Must admit that when I passed by there a few weeks ago it was very difficult to see from the outside if it was indeed still open - looked so dark and uninspiring, I'm sure a stranger wouldn't have even thought there was a 'supermarket' there at all. No doubt the Coop will be thinking they will get the trade for odds and sods (snacks) from the Stag and Hen Parties staying in the new Hotel.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Oh dear, that's not very clever - this from the Heritage, Design and Access Statement @ http://planningapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LP3I67BS05100

Clock faces will be repaired with new lighting to replace original neon. Clocks will not be made operational.

Tell me, what is the point of having a clock if its doesn't work, or at least on more than twice per day :bash:
Success to the people? - I raised this as a comment via the NCC Planning Portal a while ago - Whilst supporting the conversion of this fine Listed Building into a Hotel it was a shame that the developers have no plans to have the clocks and barometer put back into working order.

Such a missed opportunity for the developers to gain public support by putting right something that was put there to aid the populace of Newcastle.

Perhaps the City Officers could make it conditional that clocks and barometer are put back into working order when considering the Planning Application?

Just been looking at the latest exchanges between Planning and the Applicant and there is now an assurance that both the clock and barometer will be brought back to life. Evidently the clock is in better order than the barometer.

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Success to the people? - I raised this as a comment via the NCC Planning Portal a while ago - Whilst supporting the conversion of this fine Listed Building into a Hotel it was a shame that the developers have no plans to have the clocks and barometer put back into working order.

Such a missed opportunity for the developers to gain public support by putting right something that was put there to aid the populace of Newcastle.

Perhaps the City Officers could make it conditional that clocks and barometer are put back into working order when considering the Planning Application?

Just been looking at the latest exchanges between Planning and the Applicant and there is now an assurance that both the clock and barometer will be brought back to life. Evidently the clock is in better order than the barometer.
Fantastic stuff Steve.

I was 'thinking' of making a comment about that, at the time, but (as usual) didn't get around to actually doing it.

That will make a major improvement to the overall credibility of the building!

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Fantastic stuff Steve.

I was 'thinking' of making a comment about that, at the time, but (as usual) didn't get around to actually doing it.

That will make a major improvement to the overall credibility of the building!
Just goes to show that Joe Public does have a small bit of influence and perhaps we as a Forum need to make more use of commenting via the Portal :cheers:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Excellent work Steve! Perhaps we could have a 'sticky' thread for direct links to these portals? I would probably be more inclined to comment if I didn't have to wade through the council's labyrinthine planning sites (also I'm often just too plain lazy to do so).

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Excellent work Steve! Perhaps we could have a 'sticky' thread for direct links to these portals? I would probably be more inclined to comment if I didn't have to wade through the council's labyrinthine planning sites (also I'm often just too plain lazy to do so).

There is already a Sticky Thread with that information and direct links.

Section 05 of the "External Websites Listing Thread" . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=59482493&postcount=6

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Great thanks NH! It appears i'm that lazy I couldn't even move my eyes to the top of the page.......

Out of interest, who at NCC has the permission to grant what is essentially a cosmetic proviso on the conditional approval? If legally challenged (for example, if the cost of repair was prohibitive) what would be NCC's comeback given that it hasn't worked for so long?

·
Super Moderator
22,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Plans approved for Newcastle's iconic
Co-op Department Store building

by James Marley, The Journal, November 9th 2011

PLANS have been approved to turn Newcastle's iconic Co-op Department Store building into a major city leisure destination. The site will be developed into an hotel, shops, restaurants and gym. Newcastle-based Merchant Place Developments (MPD) has been granted planning permission by the city council to redevelop the famous building on Newgate Street.

MPD’s project director, William Grafton, said “We are delighted to be granted permission to transform this prominent and very well known Grade 2 listed building into a six-storey, 150,000 sq ft, development that brings much needed space into one of the city’s key leisure circuits,” he said.

Travelodge is to operate a 231-bedroom hotel, and The Co-operative will continue to operate its food store within the building.

Grafton said: “Now that we have planning permission, we can complete the lettings on the remainder of the space which, at pre-application, was substantial either as pre-lets or at an advanced stage.”

The development comprises The Co-operative building on Newgate Street and the adjoining building in St Andrew’s Street, where the main entrance to the Travelodge hotel will be formed.

“Again this brings a large hotel into the centre of the city which will be a boost for the city’s economy as well as providing jobs."

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commercial-property-north-east/news/2011/11/09/plans-approved-for-newcastle-s-iconic-co-op-building-51140-29745226/

·
Registered
169 Posts
A Travelodge? That's the best they could come up with? More stag and hen parties and a cheap hotel brand in one of the nicest buildings in the centre of town. Urgh. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
131 Posts
A Travelodge? That's the best they could come up with? More stag and hen parties and a cheap hotel brand in one of the nicest buildings in the centre of town. Urgh. :eek:hno:
Next door to The Gate! An upmarket hotel brand next to that carnage? Hopefully this will contain the stag and hens in one location!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Co-op supermarket to close for good on 31 December, according to notice in window.

41 - 60 of 585 Posts