SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The "For Sale" sign has disappeared and there are builders (or demolition men?) working inside of the Honeysuckle on Coatsworth Road.

100_2239 by alfred stone, on Flickr

I can't find any planning request for a change of use so perhaps it is going to be a pub again. There was a planning application in April for a three antennae radio base station to be built on the roof but it was refused because of "damage to a listed building/conservation area" and "insufficent information". As far as I know it is not a listed building but as we have discussed previously it is in a conservation area which is going to be upgraded. After the fire a couple of years ago I suspect it will require a lot work.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Yes they seem to start early and finish early. The boards were down at 8.00 a.m. this morning and judging by the radiators on the wagon they are stripping out the fixtures and fittings. I was beginning to think, as the wagon has no identifying marks, that they might be a couple of local "entrepreneurs" after the scrap but this chap was there for a couple of hours surveying the place so it looks official:

100_2289 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - Improvement Scheme to “Shopping Area”

Gateshead Council has on its website page

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Building%20and%20Development/conservation/TownscapeHeritageInitiative.aspx

the following text:-

"Coatsworth Road THI

Gateshead Council has successfully completed a stage 1 bid for a THI on Coatsworth Road in Bensham. We'll be submitting a stage 2 bid in December 2011, with the hope of bringing a total of £1.9 million to the area.

If our stage 2 bid is successful, we'll start improvement works in summer 2012. The whole project will run for around five years. It will be managed by the council and overseen by a partnership that includes local people.

We'll use funding to regenerate the Coatsworth Road Conservation Area. This would include:

• grants to repair and restore historic buildings;
• grants to bring empty properties back into use;
• some public realm improvements; and
• activities to involve residents in local heritage, such as work with schools.

We hope that by restoring the historic environment, the quality of life for people living, working and shopping on Coatsworth Road will be improved.

You can see draft plans for extending the Conservation Area and delivering the Coatsworth Road THI in the documents included in .

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Building%20and%20Development/conservation/TownscapeHeritageInitiative.aspx

Consultation on this scheme has now ended. We will publish the results here shortly."

Below are a few photographs taken 09/12/11 AM of the " Shopping Area" at the north end of Coatsworth Road - showing a great diversity of property and shop type:-

The former "Honeysuckle" Pub

More to follow

KEN

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - Improvement Scheme to “Shopping Area” PART 2

More pictures of shopping area on 09/12/11

This building showing "signs of distress"

AND in response to Merleb's comment of 08/12/11 "Is Steptoes still there on Prince Consort Road?

It was a very silly shop! "

There is as from following picture a Steptoes on Coatsworth Rd ( None on Prince Consort Rd now) but not sure if same ownership

There also may be a tie up between Steptoes, Hardly Harrods & Del Boys second hand shops

As you can see from pictures a wide variety of community type shops and businesses (multi ethnic and generally in private ownership) and perhaps it is Gateshead Council idea to make this shopping area better once High Street (south end) is finally demolished

Be interesting to see what becomes of scheme especially with tight financial restraints in place

KEN

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
There must be quite a lot of very poor people living near the Coatsworth Road in order to make flea-market style second hand shops like those make a living!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There must be quite a lot of very poor people living near the Coatsworth Road in order to make flea-market style second hand shops like those make a living!
mouseprice.com has figures for average household income on a postcode basis. NE8 at £15,846 is one of the poorest areas in Gateshead and only fractionally better off than the most-deprived NE10.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
The Honeysuckle Pub, Coatsworth Rd, Gateshead - becoming a Tesco ??

Someone told me this afternoon that the closed for over 2 years+ Honeysuckle Pub on Coatsworth Rd, Gateshead is to converted into a Tesco shop - no guarantee, but from a good source with a relative in the current Tesco store

Picture taken by myself 09/12/11 ( hosted on Photobucket)

Nothing on Gateshead Planning Portal ( but as above is it required)

Makes sense with closure of main shop, reportedly 23 April 2012.

New store opens approx 13 months later

KEN

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, a straight change of use from class A4 (pubs) to A1 (retail) would not require permission, but depending on the extent of external alterations/extensions then permission may be required. Furthermore, Coatsworth Road is a Conservation Area and the building may even be locally listed (although I couldn't find the right document to check), so there will be further restrictions on what is acceptable.

As I live just around the corner from Coatsworth Road, I'd be very interested in keeping tabs on a potential Tesco here, although I'm not sure I'd personally welcome it. I seem to recall that the Council also recently got funding to start the process of restoring Coatsworth Road in general and hte shop fronts in particular.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
The Honeysuckle Public House, Coatsworth Road, Gateshead to become Tesco Express

After many weeks of conjecture as spotted by Alf Stone and included in the "Pubs" thread the above project has had documentation submitted to Gateshead Council:-

Planning Application Documents http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=LY00G3HK3Y000

DC/12/00066/ADV

Display of 3 externally illuminated facia signs of which two are hanging signs all on front elevation, ATM signage and graphics on entrance windows. |

THE HONEYSUCKLE PUBLIC HOUSE Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SU

Within the first document of the package the following text appears

E Design and Access Statement

1.1 As an existing A4 (Drinking Establishment) use, Tesco Express can lawfully trade from The Honeysuckle as an A1 (Shop) convenience retail store, without the requirement of a Change of Use application.

The proposed small scale additions and alterations will result in the following benefits:

 Beneficial re-use of a vacant building;

 Improvement in the visual appearance of The Honeysuckle and Coatsworth Conservation Area, enhancing the viability of the District Centre;

 Approximately 20 new jobs;

 Thorough consideration of existing and future levels of amenity;

 A positive impact on designated heritage assets; and

The provision of a useful top-up shopping facility for residents.

The first point 1.1 seems to suggest an answer the query of many regarding whether a Planning Decision is required on "change of use" when a pub converts to a shop (unless Tesco have got it wrong)

KEN

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Think it's a shocking law to be honest and means councils have no way of protecting pubs for the community. Of course it wouldn't work the other way around should the Tesco fail (unlikely I know) and I wish to turn it back into a pub.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Some times the community needs protecting form pubs and "they" are being rejected by the community, the market, smokers, and the young. These buildings have reached their life span and it's better they are turned in to something that provides a service. Although I wish Morrison's would get a move on and get in on the act.

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Coatsworth Road Area, Gateshead -Award of Townscape Heritage Initiative Grant

Following my posting Page 23 # 445 dated 9/12/11 on this topic, below are 2 scans of article on page 25 of Evening Chronicle 25 January 2012

Within article it states:-

£ 1.9 million grant awarded to this area for 5 year transformation

Only project in North East

Looking for firms to participate in Pilot Scheme

Very good reason it looks different today as pictures in article taken from different view point , right one looking north , the other south

In left hand picture the building to the left with domes is The Honeysuckle Pub ( soon to be Tesco - see post earlier today on this thread)

KEN

·
22,011 Posts
Following my posting Page 23 # 445 dated 9/12/11 on this topic, below are 2 scans of article on page 25 of Evening Chronicle 25 January 2012

Within article it states:-

£ 1.9 million grant awarded to this area for 5 year transformation. Only project in North East. Looking for firms to participate in Pilot Scheme.

Very good reason it looks different today as pictures in article taken from different view point , right one looking north , the other south

KEN

Businesses chosen to kickstart
revival of historic Gateshead street

by Karen Dent, The Journal, January 27th 2012

SIX BUSINESSES will receive advice and support to help them grow in a pilot project kicking off in a historic Tyneside shopping street.

Coatsworth Road, one of the oldest shopping streets in Gateshead, has been chosen for a £1.9m makeover funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Townscape Heritage Initiative programme.

The money will be used to improve the shopping centre in the Coatsworth Road Conservation Area, where the initial six shops to receive support will be located.

Retail experts have been meeting businesses this week. Those selected will receive a full assessment of their business plans, merchandising, product range, marketing plans and operations from retail development agency BSupplied, backed up with workshops and mentoring.

The team will look for new opportunities for the shops and create individual action plans for each.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2012/01/27/businesses-chosen-to-kickstart-revival-of-historic-gateshead-street-51140-30208294/

·
Registered
20,147 Posts
Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - new Tesco & Heritage Grant

Picking up 2 items in one Evening Chronicle article

Below is scan copies of Page 10 of Thursday 2 February 2012 about local shopkeepers commenting on imminent arrival of new Tesco Extra store in the Honeysuckle Pub building

Also in text is comment about the Heritage Lottery Fund's Townscape Heritage Initiative - something I have covered in recent days on this thread

Did not catch all of it but this story was covered on Tyne Tees TV Northern Life local news programme of Friday 3 February 2012

KEN

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
The small shop traders on Coatsworth Road feel they will be forced out of business by Tesco?

I didn't realise Tesco sold cutprice kebabs, second hand mattresses, bets on horses, parts for washing machines, fleas etc.

The shops on Coatsy Rd have to be seen to be believed...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Nice bit of publicity for the local traders but as always the Chronicle doesn't get it quite right. The picture shows only three shopkeepers who might be affected by the opening of the Tesco Express. One of the others is a barber whose business will not be damaged by Tesco and three are employees not shopkeepers though they obviously have an interest in keeping their jobs. The big fellow at the back is a complete stranger to me and I live in the area so he may have just wandered on to the scene to make up the numbers. I have never been into a Tesco Express so I have no idea how their prices compare with the main store but I suspect that only one of the shopkeepers has anything to worry about but I am not naming names.

I agree with the point made about parking though. Coatsworth Road is a nightmare for illegal parking now and Tesco will only make it worse. Unfortunately the local enforcement officers as traffic wardens are now called are too busy trying to catch pensioners overstaying their welcome at the local surgery to be bothered with a busy bus route like Coatsworth Road.

End of rant!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gateshead had a market: maybe not the world's most vibrant, or something to feature in the Sunday papers' travel supplements, but it was a bustling market and it survived alongside a Tesco supermarket. Now it has gone and all there will be is a big Tesco. I am at a loss to see how this is an improvement, except for Tesco shareholders (and even they will be royally ripped off by the board of directors). Coatsworth Road may be facing a similar outcome - though the stamp & postcard shop may have found a niche that Lady Porter & Co are not yet exploiting.

1 - 20 of 452 Posts