SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 483 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,254 Posts
Bensham families say no but Tesco gets go ahead
by Katie Davies, Evening Chronicle, June 14th 2012

Shop owners say he new shop will affect their businesses

THE approval for a new Tesco store to open in Gateshead will "ruin" independent businesses, it was claimed today. Thousands of families have supported a campaign against plans for the new mini-supermarket after shopkeepers feared they would be forced to close down.

Gateshead Council considered the application last night for a Tesco Express store on the site of the former Honeysuckle Arms pub on Coatsworth Road, in Bensham, and the bid from the food giant was approved by councillors, despite 1,204 people signing a petition to voice their objections to the plans for the outlet. The new Tesco will create 20 jobs, but council bosses also received 1,582 objections about the development.

Despite the fears for other local businesses, and concerns over increased traffic and disruption, the council’s planning committee last night sided with advice from officers to back the plans. Business owners on Coatsworth Road have raised concerns about its potential impact on their trade.

Many fear they won’t be able to keep up with the competition from the store ... which could result in their business calling it a day. Others have questioned the need for another Tesco just a few minutes away from the major new store being built in Gateshead’s town centre.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...o-gets-go-ahead-72703-31182314/#ixzz1xm4h8GH3

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Conversion of Honeysuckle Pub, Coatsworth Road, Gateshead to Tesco Express

Following up the post immediately above 2 notifications appeared on the Gateshead Planning Portal on the afternoon of 14/06/12 concerning the conversion of Honeysuckle Pub to Tesco Express

DC/12/00065/FUL
External alterations to building for new shop front and siting of external plant and equipment (amended 10/05/12 and 08/06/12).
The Honeysuckle Public House Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SU

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LY00FIHK3Y000 with 6 pages of documents

534 comments made on this application

AND

DC/12/00066/ADV
Display of 2 externally illuminated projecting hanging signs reading "TESCO EXPRESS" and display of halo illuminated lettering reading "TESCO EXPRESS" and "OPENING TIMES" on the west elevation of the building (amended 10/05/12).
THE HONEYSUCKLE PUBLIC HOUSE Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SU

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LY00G3HK3Y000 with 6 pages of documents

Definitely contentious I think

KEN

·
Super Moderator
22,254 Posts
Back to the future for historic road
Evening Chronicle, June 30th 2012

LOTTERY MONEY is to be used to spruce up a famous Tyneside street. Coatsworth Road, in Bensham, Gateshead, has been awarded £1.9m towards a heritage makeover by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The road will be taken back to its Victorian glory with repairs to shop fronts and advice to boost trade.

Shop owners had differing views about the grant but most agreed the work was needed. Many shop assistants fear the grant will not prevent shops closing when Tesco opens. Saki Gafoor, 33, who owns the Nisa store, said: “The grant was a great idea at the beginning, any regeneration is good for the area but, since the approval of the Tesco, I don’t know if it will make a difference. There is no point regenerating the area when the shops are going to be closed.”

Dad-of-five Mark Davison, who owns Elliotts fruit and veg shop, said: “I think it will be great if the money is going to be given to the road – a bit of colour and regeneration will bring life back into the street.” One of the first shopping streets in Gateshead, the majority of Coatsworth Road is a designated conservation area due to its Victorian features. Shop fronts will be repaired and restored, repairs undertaken and empty properties brought back into use. Improvements to the road are also planned in order to make the area a more welcoming.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...r-historic-road-72703-31293953/#ixzz1zHAXfZhT

·
Registered
20,841 Posts

LOTTERY MONEY is to be used to spruce up a famous Tyneside street. Coatsworth Road, in Bensham, Gateshead, has been awarded £1.9m towards a heritage makeover by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The road will be taken back to its Victorian glory with repairs to shop fronts and advice to boost trade.

Shop owners had differing views about the grant but most agreed the work was needed. Many shop assistants fear the grant will not prevent shops closing when Tesco opens. Saki Gafoor, 33, who owns the Nisa store, said: “The grant was a great idea at the beginning, any regeneration is good for the area but, since the approval of the Tesco, I don’t know if it will make a difference. There is no point regenerating the area when the shops are going to be closed.”

Dad-of-five Mark Davison, who owns Elliotts fruit and veg shop, said: “I think it will be great if the money is going to be given to the road – a bit of colour and regeneration will bring life back into the street.” One of the first shopping streets in Gateshead, the majority of Coatsworth Road is a designated conservation area due to its Victorian features. Shop fronts will be repaired and restored, repairs undertaken and empty properties brought back into use. Improvements to the road are also planned in order to make the area a more welcoming.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...r-historic-road-72703-31293953/#ixzz1zHAXfZhT

Was just about to post this having just read the paper version.

We have had this story doing the rounds for weeks - including Evening Chronicle articles scanned and posted into this thread by myself

NCJ Media must be running out of "stories" to fill the paper

KEN

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Coatsworth Road

Interesting to see which properties are selected for this 'back to the future' investment.

Will Tesco get any of this money for their new store?

Would be better if Tesco had a 'traditional' shop front to fit in with the intended 'Heritage' look?

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Honeysuckle Hotel 92 Coatsworth Road Gateshead- Planning Application for Conversion of first and second floors into three flats

Appeared on Gateshead Council Planning portal on 30/01/13

DC/12/01378/FUL

Conversion of first and second floors into three flats.

Honeysuckle Hotel 92 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1QP

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...A94083AA6DB459EDB92E31FE6BB3?action=firstPage

Work to create the Tesco shop at ground level seems to be taking an extrermely long time

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Work to create the Tesco shop at ground level seems to be taking an extremely long time

KEN
There was a team in last year taking everything out and skipping it, done nothing since then.

Steve

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Tesco at the Honeysuckle, Coatsworth Rd, Gateshead

There was a team in last year taking everything out and skipping it, done nothing since then.

Steve
Steve

Have been watching what has been going on and there was import of blocks and "plasterboard" some weeks back and a new electricity mains cable resulted in digging up Coatsworth Rd paths etc

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Steve

Have been watching what has been going on and there was import of blocks and "plasterboard" some weeks back and a new electricity mains cable resulted in digging up Coatsworth Rd paths etc

KEN
A little patchy at best. I wonder if they are timing it to coincide with the big opening of the Gateshead carbuncle in order to shaft local businesses even more?

Steve

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I have checked back to see when I reported that the work had started on the conversion of the Honeysuckle into a Tesco Express or whatever it is to be called. It was 28th. August 2012. This could be one of the longest conversions ever. The Honey is just round the corner from me and I pass it several times a day but I have never seen more than a handful of builders working on it. The only external work I have witnessed was the resurfacing of the flat roof over the lounge extension and a bit of pointing until the last few days when they seem to have started to break open what presumably will be the main entrance.

100_7275 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Demolition and rebuild (??) of 114 Coatsworth Road and conversion of 97 Bewick Road, Gateshead from office to create 1 large dwelling

These 2 from Gateshead Planning Portal week beginning 28/01/13

This one "Granted"

DC/12/01326/FUL

Demolition and rebuild of 114 Coatsworth Road and conversion of 97 Bewick Road from office to create 1 large dwelling, single storey extension to rear and alterations to windows and doors including boundary treatment to rear yard (amended 11/02/13).

GATESHEAD CROSSROADS CARE LTD 97 Bewick Road/ 114 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1RR

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MENXKTHK3Y000

This one "Pending"

DC/13/00096/CON

Demolition of 114 Coatsworth Road

114 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1QQ

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MH51FSHK08J00

A late change to get the demolition without the rebuild?

Relates to these properties

114 Coatsworth Rd having experienced structural instability for some years hence it being boarded up

These photographs by myself taken today 27/02/13

and this from 07/12/11

Not before time !

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Honeysuckle Pub, Coatsworth Rd - conversion of first floor

Appeared on Gateshead Council Planning portal on 30/01/13

DC/12/01378/FUL

Conversion of first and second floors into three flats.

Honeysuckle Hotel 92 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1QP

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...A94083AA6DB459EDB92E31FE6BB3?action=firstPage

Work to create the Tesco shop at ground level seems to be taking an extrermely long time

KEN
On Gateshead Planning portal 01/03/13 that conversion scheme for first floor is " withdrawn"

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sign on The Honeysuckle Hotel, Coatsworth Road:

Doesn't appear to be on the portal yet.

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
The Honeysuckle Pub, Coatsworth Rd, Gateshead to become Tesco store - anticipated opening date

As noted recently on here this project seems to have been on the go "for ever" - well first mentioned on here as "possible" in post 500 on 16/01/12

Today I heard from one of the shopkeepers on Coatsworth Rd what the latest he had heard:-

Temporary Tesco, at 241 High St, Gateshead, the former Kwik Save (mentioned on post 503) is set to close as the new Tesco Extra in Trinity Square opens (23/05/13)

Fittings from there are to be relocated to The Honeysuckle and other shopfitting work carried out

Intended opening date of the Coatsworth Rd shop set for mid June 2013

KEN

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
As noted recently on here this project seems to have been on the go "for ever" - well first mentioned on here as "possible" in post 500 on 16/01/12

Today I heard from one of the shopkeepers on Coatsworth Rd what the latest he had heard:-

Temporary Tesco, at 241 High St, Gateshead, the former Kwik Save (mentioned on post 503) is set to close as the new Tesco Extra in Trinity Square opens (23/05/13)

Fittings from there are to be relocated to The Honeysuckle and other shopfitting work carried out

Intended opening date of the Coatsworth Rd shop set for mid June 2013

KEN
Ken, I have heard similar rumours from a different source. I was told that a manager had been appointed and that it would open in June. I have no idea what state the interior is in but the exterior certainly looks as though it needs lots of work. They are certainly going to have to get cracking to meet a mid-June deadline. There is still no sign of activity today.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Some movement in The Honeysuckle on Coatsworth Road today, fenced off and people with Tesco Hi Viz coats lurking around!

21 - 40 of 483 Posts