SkyscraperCity banner

461 - 480 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Alf, is Coatsworth Road buses only now?
It's complicated. Buses can travel in both directions but other vehicles can only travel north.between Whitehall Road and Havelock Terrace. I think! The plans have changed so many times that I can't keep up. I think it will only be clear when the work is complete.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
They added more barriers to the east side of Coatsworth Road this time:

They have also painted loading bays, one each on Coatsworth Road, Woodbine Street and Claremont Street:

I walked round to Alexandra Road and was surprised to find the road open and the barriers stored at the side of the road. I asked a security guard patrolling near the Jewish schools if he knew what had happened. He said he had been told that "locals" had moved them but couldn't confirm that:

The photographs were taken at various times over the last two days.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Creating safe space in Gateshead Coatsworth Road

The Council workers left at the end of shift on Wednesday and I haven't seen them since so I assume that the work is complete. As I understand it the system is supposed to stop traffic, other than buses, from travelling south from Claremont South Avenue to Whitehall Road and to discourage traffic from parking in other designated areas. It seems to be failing on both counts:

The Alexandra Road closure is also a bit of a puzzle too as I have seen several cars drive through the gaps:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Reading on Facebook it appears Gateshead Council have threatened the businesses on Low Fell that if the plastic barriers are moved again (I presume people must be moving them) they will replace them with concrete barriers.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

The Council have obviously got sick of people moving their barriers on Alexandra Road and sent a tanker round to fill them with water. They have done the same with some of them on Coatsworth Road:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

The Council have obviously got sick of people moving their barriers on Alexandra Road and sent a tanker round to fill them with water. They have done the same with some of them on Coatsworth Road: View attachment 645688
Have the Council ever explained the rationale of the Alexandra Road closure?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The Council haven't really explained anything about the whole project.to my knowledge and I am a local resident. Alexandra Road is currently one way only for vehicles travelling north. The Coatsworth Road situation is that motorists are completely ignotring the ban on travelling south from Claremont North Avenue to Whitehall Road. The signage banning motorists is abysmal so I am not surprised it is being ignored. Far from "creating a safe space" the road has become more dangerous for pedestrians. A lot of time and money has been spent on making life more difficult for the locals.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

I am beginning to think that Gateshead MBC are having a competition to see who can come up with the daftest idea. The latest is this temporary bus stop sign which appeared on Saturday morning about 200 yards from the original permanent bus stop. All it seems to do is divert alighting passengers away from one set of shops to another. This morning I caught the 53 service which is the only one that runs along Coatsworth Road. As I reached the front the driver asked me which stop I wanted the temporary or the permanent one. I opted for the permanent one as it is nearer where I wanted to cross the road which is technically one way apart from buses and should be safer. He added that he had never been told about the new stop and only spotted it on his third journey on the route.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

Obviously somebody has decided that the convenience of motorists is more important than the safety of pedestrians:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

I can only agree. The whole thing is a mess The one way system is universally ignored and the road is less safe than it was before. The new temporary bus stop is almost opposite the regular stop in the opposite direction so if two buses stop at the same time the road is blocked. Half of the signs have been blown over or knocked down. GMBC has spent the government grant and has now abandoned the project. Enforcement Officers are conspicuous by their absence while they persecute pensioners who overstay their welcome at the local medical centre. Sorry I am beginning to repeat myself.

·
475 Posts
I popped into a shop on Coatsworth Road for the first time a few days back. I managed to park easily down a side street, however once on foot walking along Coatsworth Rd itself I noticed lots of cars ignoring the bus only section, and I found myself either stepping over litter or squeezing passed cars parked on the pavement at stretches where there weren’t any barriers.
The place was a dump.
Definitely needs some enforcement against littering, parking enforcement, and some sort of enforcement against those tampering with the barriers or signage.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

That's odd, yesterday all of those barriers had been lined up on the opposite side of the road and this morning they were back in their original formation. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

It seems to be catching but no action from the Council so far. That is also a rare sighting of a cyclist using the road rather than the footpath:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

I crossed Coatsworth Road this morning and standing by the sign banning cars from travelling south was a Gateshead MBC officialr. As I approached he flagged down one car attempting pass through and redirected it. I stopped and had a chat and he said he was indeed trying to enforce the rules. He added that the people who moved the barriers near Bewick Road were going to be fined as he had film of them in action. When I returned from my errand about 40 minutes later he had vanished and I didn't see him again on my several walks along the road.

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Creating safe space in Gateshead Coatsworth Road, illegal movement of barriers

^^^

Possibly images captured using the CCTV camera located at junction Coatsworth Rd/Bewick Rd, to be seen in this screen print of Google Maps Street View image - if still operating

KEN

461 - 480 of 483 Posts