SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Well this surprised me today. The old Whitehall Taxis office on Claremont Street just off Coatsworth Road is being renovated. It has been closed and shuttered for many years and I thought it would stay that way. I have looked on the Gateshead Planning Portal but there is no mention there. I wonder what it will be.

DSCF7077 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7078 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7079 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Well this surprised me today. The old Whitehall Taxis office on Claremont Street just off Coatsworth Road is being renovated. It has been closed and shuttered for many years and I thought it would stay that way. I have looked on the Gateshead Planning Portal but there is no mention there. I wonder what it will be.
Had a sniff in there today and spoke to the fitters, gonna be a pet shop:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The first signs of exterior work on the Honey/Tesco Express on Coatsworth Road appeared today:

Up to now they have mainly been fitting refrigeration units internally and on the roof but those windows look promising.
Nothing new externally today, just some guy pressure washing the outside where the new windows are.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
There is an old adage that if you want to know what is going on in a company ask the cleaner. I did the next best thing today and asked the lowly labourer. It is actually going to be a lettings office. A1 Properties, currently in Claremont Street (some would say Back Woodbine Street), are moving their offices because of high rent costs.

a2a728d4-10e9-4718-9a00-989189b5a49a_zpsa13a787d by alfred stone, on Flickr

53000119-e8a0-4633-b4e5-01356b2309e0_zpse6b7efe5 by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I drove down Coatsworth Road today and it appears the Tesco is now open. External signage is all up, the shop is fitted out and stocked and there appeared to be people inside.

The first signs of exterior work on the Honey/Tesco Express on Coatsworth Road appeared today:

Up to now they have mainly been fitting refrigeration units internally and on the roof but those windows look promising.

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Tesco Express at former Honeysuckle pub, Coatsworth Rd, Gateshead

I drove down Coatsworth Road today and it appears the Tesco is now open. External signage is all up, the shop is fitted out and stocked and there appeared to be people inside.
Not quite - some of shelves full, others empty

By coincidence these pictures by by myself 16/06/13 approx 1845 - hosted on Photobucket

Due its small size will not be affected by Sunday trading legislation = 0600 - 2300 every day of week as noted on sign

Assume opens tomorrow Monday 17th

KEN

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Looks good, the shopkeeps along there are going to be rather hostile to it though. Couple that with the increase of street drinking which is inevitable the first few weeks should be interesting! :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looks good, the shopkeeps along there are going to be rather hostile to it though. Couple that with the increase of street drinking which is inevitable the first few weeks should be interesting! :)
I would have thought the barbers, hairdressers, PC shop and DIY shop should welcome it, it will bring shoppers to Coatsworth Road that will benefit them.

The 8 till 10 will probably suffer, but they have always been expensive and had a poor quality fresh food section. The competition in this instance will be of benefit to the public.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
It seems that Tesco have missed their deadline for opening the new Express store on Coatsworth Road. I saw a friend trying to get in this morning and the security guard slid open the door a fraction and told him it wouldn't be opening until next Tuesday 25th. June.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Fitters told me porkies, seems to be some sort of small scale commercial estate agents at the moment. I use the term loosely however, still looks like a taxi office with a hole in the wall and a few seats!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There is an old adage that if you want to know what is going on in a company ask the cleaner. I did the next best thing today and asked the lowly labourer. It is actually going to be a lettings office. A1 Properties, currently in Claremont Street (some would say Back Woodbine Street), are moving their offices because of high rent costs.
Oops, only saw this post today, can't understand the rent costs though, dirt cheap anywhere along Coatsworth Road.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It's all a bit odd as the name has changed too. The same people are running it as I have seen them transferring things from the old place.
Maybe it's a temp thing, who knows? Anything is possible along there. Can't see the rent being much for there, round the corner out the way sorta place.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Back lane between Claremont Place and Woodbine Street, always see something wrong down here:

Bet that's down by Friday when I pass there next :nuts:

Photo taken by self 1/7/13, hosted on photobucket

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a development or an accident but the print shop sign is down and a previous occupant has been revealed:

SAM_0970 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7472 by alfred stone, on Flickr

DSCF7473 by alfred stone, on Flickr

Alf - can you add the source and host for these images please.

"General reminder about quoting content - Images:

When quoting images, ensure that the image can be used under fair use and provide the source name and link with the image."

By default they are mine if not I state the source.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a development or an accident but the print shop sign is down and a previous occupant has been revealed:
The only thing live on the portal around there is some domestic stuff for Claremont Place, surprised I didn't notice that as I walked right passed it today! :nuts:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Perhaps the green shoots of recovery are showing on Coatsworth Road. Two shops have reopened under new management in the last few days:

This one, at the top of Westfield Road has been closed for a long time and I think in its last incarnation it was a newsagent:

DSCF7680_zpsf96008cf by alfred stone, on Flickr

This one is on the corner of Claremont Street and has only been empty for a few months. It was previously a fruit shop:

DSCF7692_zpsc1831319 by alfred stone, on Flickr

41 - 60 of 483 Posts