SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Coatsworth Road, Gateshead

Cash to restore 'hidden' Victorian street in Gateshead
17th May 2011, BBC Newcastle (Tyne Website)

Gateshead's Coatsworth Road in 1910

Heritage Lottery Fund cash has been awarded to help restore a "hidden" Victorian street on Tyneside.

Coatsworth Road is one of Gateshead's oldest shopping streets, but many of the historic frontages have been obscured by modern facades.

The council has earmarked support of £1.4m, including £29,700 development funding, from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to improve the area.

Work is expected to begin in 2012 and be completed by 2017.

A total of £1.9m will be invested, with just over £1.4m coming from HLF if the council secures the full grant at the second round of the application, and partnership funding making up the total.

Read More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13419572
Does anyone know what happened to this badly needed development?

Dave

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Coatsworth Road THI Scheme, Gateshead

Dave
This text from Gateshead Council website http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Building and Development/conservation/TownscapeHeritageInitiative.aspx :-

Coatsworth Road THI

Gateshead Council has successfully bid for a THI on Coatsworth Road in Bensham and Saltwell, which will bring in over £1.9 million of investment over the next 5 years. The project will from December 2012 – December 2017 and will deliver:

grants to repair and restore 25 priority historic buildings on Coatsworth Road;

grants to bring empty properties back into use;

some public realm improvements; and

activities to involve local traders in supporting small businesses, and local people in maintaining buildings and practical skills, and improving the local knowledge of conservation, design and planning

We hope that by restoring the historic environment, the quality of life for people living, working and shopping on Coatsworth Road will be improved.

Would think that grants are been given out as there seems to have been a few schemes of "improvement" carried out to properties in recent month

The THI is spread over a large area and long time period so will be no early impact

Area covered is as shown in the map on this Gateshead Council link (one of those documents listed on page noted above) http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Documen...rth-Road-THI-Boundary--Priority-buildings.pdf

Also see http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Building/regeneration/Character-appraisal.pdf document (one of those documents listed on page noted above)

KEN

·
Registered
76 Posts
:lol: - Very good Alf.

The documents which Ken posted the links to have interesting info about the Gateshead Jewish community. As a (nominally) Christian person born and raised in Bensham I've always been intrigued by the Jews of Gateshead. They keep themselves very much to themselves (fair enough) and I have wondered idly over the years how they interact with the wider community on matters of mutual interest.

Our family doctor when I was born was, I think, a rabbi, or at least a well respected member of the Jewish community. I remember my mother saying he asked what I was being called and when she said David he beamed a big smile.

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Jewish Community in Gateshead & Bewick Rd synagogue and other educational/religious buildings, Gateshead

Following up on the following posts

Questions thread posts 4381 - 4382

This Religious Buildings thread post 488

and the 19/11/13 discussion in the HISTORY and OLD PHOTOS of the North East (Areas Outside the Newcastle City Boundary) tread, posts 666 - 670
and the comments about there been little on the web concerning the Jewish Community living in Gateshead thought it may be opportune to include the following

This text from the Gateshead Council website article on pages 11 - 12 of http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/DocumentLibrary/Building/regeneration/Character-appraisal.pdf on subject of Jewish Community in Gateshead

History of the Orthodox Jewish Community

The origins of the Jewish community in Gateshead (known by its members as Kehilla – Hebrew for ‘community’) began when a number of Jews fled from persecution in Eastern Europe, to settle in Newcastle during the 1870s. One man, Zechariah Bernstone, became so unhappy with what he believed were lax religious standards within that community that he moved to Gateshead in 1881, to find a home and develop a strictly orthodox settlement. Some like-minded individuals joined him, and soon the nucleus of today’s community was born.

Initially based around Derwentwater Road, the community moved gradually towards the Bewick Road area.

However, despite being distinct from the Jewish population in Britain, in terms of its level of orthodoxy, the catalyst for gaining worldwide renown was Rabbi Dovid Dryan, who came to Gateshead in 1923. He was behind the founding of the Yeshiva, or Talmudical College, which opened with 3 pupils in 1929, at 179 Bewick Road, and quickly grew both in size and reputation.

Inevitably, as a result of the rise of fascism in Europe and persecution by the Nazis, the Gateshead community welcomed many Jewish refugees, and the reputation of the Talmudical College drew many young students from yeshivas across Europe.

To cater for its growth, the College expanded into neighbouring properties at 177 Bewick Road and on Rectory Road, and in 1961 moved into a purpose-built building on Windermere Street West, with a new dormitory block, built in place of the demolished original buildings on Bewick Road and Rectory Road, opening in 1963. Rabbi Dryan also brought about the Institute of Higher Rabbinical Studies, to provide an opportunity for further study to graduates of the Yeshiva, and this opened in 1941, headed by one of the most influential twentieth century Jewish thinkers, Rabbi E E Dessler. It was, at the time, the first such institution outside of Eastern Europe.

There are now four institutions for advanced rabbinical studies, where post-graduate research in Jewish studies is undertaken. Later, in 1944, the Jewish Teachers Training College (Bewick Road) and Gateshead Jewish Boarding School (Alexandra Road) were founded, the latter originally intended for refugees, though soon becoming the community’s secondary school for boys. The Jewish Teachers Training College, commonly known as Gateshead Sem., caters for over 300 female students, who come from all over the world to study there.

Gateshead has, in effect, become a university town, renowned in the worldwide Jewish community on the level of Oxford and Cambridge, and providing tuition to approximately 1500 students over a number of different educational institutions. Indeed, the majority of the community are directly or indirectly involved in these educational establishments, as teachers, students or in a support role, and a complete educational and social infrastructure has developed as a result.

The community remains strictly orthodox, as a natural consequence. There remains only one synagogue in Gateshead, to which the whole Jewish community belongs, and its Rabbi (known as ‘the Rov’) is respected as the community’s ultimate religious authority. This creates a unity not found elsewhere, and its structure, commitment to observance and its academic standards echo the large pre-war Jewish communities of Eastern Europe.

The Gateshead Kehilla is so well-respected worldwide, in fact, that it is sometimes referred to as the Jerusalem of Europe, and it is a highly major part of the development history of Coatsworth Conservation Area

KEN

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
:lol: - Very good Alf.

The documents which Ken posted the links to have interesting info about the Gateshead Jewish community. As a (nominally) Christian person born and raised in Bensham I've always been intrigued by the Jews of Gateshead. They keep themselves very much to themselves (fair enough) and I have wondered idly over the years how they interact with the wider community on matters of mutual interest.

Our family doctor when I was born was, I think, a rabbi, or at least a well respected member of the Jewish community. I remember my mother saying he asked what I was being called and when she said David he beamed a big smile.
Davy, I think you are probably referring to Dr. Mordecai Chalk, known to his friends as Max. It was odd but my dad a staunch Catholic always went to Dr. Chalk whereas my mother, a Protestant, and the rest of the family went to a Catholic doctor nearby. Dr. Chalk was revered by the Jewish community and the rest of his patients and I have read many good things about him.

I have lived in Bensham most of my life and have often been invited into Jewish homes on their Sabbath to turn off the gas or turn on the lights and even once to turn off the house alarm for which I needed to know the code. Good job I wasn't a burglar. The Jews are naturally wary of some of us with just cause but I have always found most of them to be pleasant and friendly. I now live in the heart of the Jewish community and when I walk along Coatsworth Road it is surprising how many greet me in passing. I have great admiration for them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's the chap Alf. If memory serves his son Benny was also a doctor in the practice before moving (I think) to Harley Street. Thanks for that interesting snippet concerning their Sabbath. I'm sure they make good neighbours. I've never once read any report of a crime committed by a member of that community - if only we could say the same about our own people.

Dave

·
13,079 Posts
Davy, I think you are probably referring to Dr. Mordecai Chalk, known to his friends as Max. It was odd but my dad a staunch Catholic always went to Dr. Chalk whereas my mother, a Protestant, and the rest of the family went to a Catholic doctor nearby. Dr. Chalk was revered by the Jewish community and the rest of his patients and I have read many good things about him.

I have lived in Bensham most of my life and have often been invited into Jewish homes on their Sabbath to turn off the gas or turn on the lights and even once to turn off the house alarm for which I needed to know the code. Good job I wasn't a burglar. The Jews are naturally wary of some of us with just cause but I have always found most of them to be pleasant and friendly. I now live in the heart of the Jewish community and when I walk along Coatsworth Road it is surprising how many greet me in passing. I have great admiration for them.
There's a Yiddish expression - Shabbos goy. That s a non Jew who can perform some work prohibited on Shabbat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbos_goy

I'm at the humanistic end of the 'faith' - I'm pretty secular, but respect ancestry, identity and some traditions but not the 'detail' so I ve never quite got the difference between using someone to do it and doing it myself. However what you say [and do] means that you are respected, trusted and I shake your hand for the help you give my [distant] cousins.

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Coatsworth Road THI Scheme, Gateshead - Council Newsletter December 2013

Dave
By coincidence this Newsletter from Gateshead Council arrived through the door on evening of 22/11/13 - scanned image image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
76 Posts
A bit of a strange co-incidence this being sent out a few days after my post on the subject. It's good to see progress though.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Took a pic yesterday of that place yesterday funnily enough!

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Adams Continental Foods, 137 - 141 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - change use of upper floors to community centre

Following up on posts of recent days

This on Gateshead Council planning portal as "Pending"

DC/13/01399/FUL

Proposed change of use of first and second floors to community centre, works to roof and facade including new shop front and windows, installation of dormer windows to the front and rear and new bin store to the rear.

Adams Continental Foods 137 - 141 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1SQ

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MVWDZ8HK09O00

Pictures taken by myself of building and adjacent properties Saturday 23/11/13 approx 1015 - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Coatsworth Road THI Scheme and Conservation Area, Gateshead

For those who have not opened the links on post #82 to Gateshead Council plan of the area this is a screen print showing both Coatsworth Road THI Scheme and Coatsworth Road Heritage area - image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Danskys, 223 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - THI, New shop front with installation of dormer window

The other scheme noted on the scanned document of post 90

On Gateshead Planning Portal as "Granted"

DC/13/00875/FUL

New shop front with installation of dormer window in roofspace to the front elevation and new garden enclosure to side (amended 01/09/13).

Danskys 223 Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SR

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

This picture by myself of how it looks 26/11/13 AM

and this screen print of drawing from the planning documents showing proposed scheme

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The other scheme noted on the scanned document of post 90

On Gateshead Planning Portal as "Granted"

DC/13/00875/FUL

New shop front with installation of dormer window in roofspace to the front elevation and new garden enclosure to side (amended 01/09/13).

Danskys 223 Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SR

KEN
That's strange because I remember early last year Dansky's was granted planning permission for a new shop front but I can't find any reference to it on the planning portal. The work was carried out in May/June of last year and Dansky's moved temporarily to the old Nursery House W.M. Club premises on the corner of Bewick Road and Alexandra Road with a great fanfare of advertising:

dansky2 by alfred stone, on Flickr

The signs on the old shop were less helpful to the uninitiated:

Dansky1 by alfred stone, on Flickr

The original shop was gutted and a new shop front installed but has remained unseen ever since as the only shutters ever raised are the ones over the front door.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
81 - 100 of 483 Posts