SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 483 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
There's a Yiddish expression - Shabbos goy. That s a non Jew who can perform some work prohibited on Shabbat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbos_goy

I'm at the humanistic end of the 'faith' - I'm pretty secular, but respect ancestry, identity and some traditions but not the 'detail' so I ve never quite got the difference between using someone to do it and doing it myself. However what you say [and do] means that you are respected, trusted and I shake your hand for the help you give my [distant] cousins.
Sorry about the delayed reaction but I have just been rereading these posts and your description of yourself and it reminded me of a good Jewish friend of mine who answered the same description. He agreed to be the best man at my wedding until he realised it would clash with Yom Kippur. He explained how important it was to keep the fast, "For my inheritance". He gave the same explanation when he volunteered to spend a year in an Israeli Kibbutz. I never knew if he was joking or not.

I also have a neighbour who worked for many years for "Old Man Schleider" no disrespect intended but that was what everybody called him. My neighbour said he was never allowed to work on the Jewish Sabbath except in an emergency but Sundays were all right.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
A few minor changes to report on the Coatsworth Road shopping area in no particular order:

What used to be Coatsworth Rolls is being fitted out but with all the reflections I couldn't tell as what. A planning application was made in 2012 to convert it into an opticians but it was withdrawn. While at work they have taken down the name plates and revealed the old fascia on the shop next door. In its last reincarnation it was "Flowers by Deborah" and it is a long time since it did Shoe Repairs when Jim Pasola had it.

Coatsworth Shoe Repairs by alfred stone, on Flickr

But on reflection (sorry) it could be an optician:

Coatsworth Rolls by alfred stone, on Flickr

Further north the Spice Garden is no more to be replaced by the Taj Mahal:

Coatsworth Taj Mahal by alfred stone, on Flickr

coatsworth Taj Mahal 2 by alfred stone, on Flickr

Even further north a planning application has been submitted for 65 Coatsworth Road to have a Takeway sign installed: DC/14/00185/ADV. When Cyril Ward the jeweller retired the shop was put up to let with a sign that said planning permission for a restaurant but it became a tattoo parlour. Looks like it going to be another fast food outlet.

urbanart_zps3cd3c3de by alfred stone, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
These photos show the problems with Coatsworth Road, it's just so run down, and the upstairs properties are on the whole in terrible shape.

Coatsworth Road will never be anything but cheap takeaways and second hand shops until the whole street is renovated.

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,223 Posts
Gateshead couple take extreme measures to prevent builders working on shop next door 6 Mar 2014 08:03 John and Alyson Tweddle, from Gateshead, have taken extreme measures to prevent builders working on a shop next door to their home. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-couple-take-extreme-measures-6778313 http://s450.photobucket.com/user/anthonywd/media/skyscraper/thrower_zps41c4f2db.jpg.html Couple take on the might of the Schleider family. I've got the popcorn this could run and run.
The opening in the wall is being cut just to the right of the current windows / to the left of the concrete blocks on the front of the shop. As far as I'm aware 'party walls' are those that run along boundaries, I.e the wall dividing the shop from the house, not the front wall, which stops being part of the house to the right of the blocks (where the garden wall is) Secondly, it is quite likely the land in front of the shop where the concrete blocks are and car is parked do belong to the shop. It's very common for shops of this age to own the forecourt in front between the shop front and pavement. In many instances these shops where once homes and this fore court was once the front garden. That said, if any of the building work has damaged the fabric of the house, regardless of any party wall stuff, a surveyor / building inspector should be round double quick to asses and compensation paid...

Edit: a couple of quid spent at the land registry would soon show who owned the land in front of the shop ;)

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
65 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - Planning Application, Change of use from shop and tattoo studio to hot food takeaway

On Gateshead Planning Portal 12/03/14 as "Pending"

DC/14/00184/COU

Change of use from shop and tattoo studio to hot food takeaway (A5), including installation of air conditioning condenser and flue on rear elevation.

65 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1QL

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=N1CC36HK08J00

Unit is located towards north end of Coatsworth Rd directly opposite Affleck St

KEN

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Adams Continental Foods, 137 - 141 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - change use of upper floors to community centre , Planning Approval Granted

Following up on posts of recent days

This on Gateshead Council planning portal as "Pending"

DC/13/01399/FUL

Proposed change of use of first and second floors to community centre, works to roof and facade including new shop front and windows, installation of dormer windows to the front and rear and new bin store to the rear.

Adams Continental Foods 137 - 141 Coatsworth Road Gateshead NE8 1SQ

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=MVWDZ8HK09O00

Pictures taken by myself of building and adjacent properties Saturday 23/11/13 approx 1015 - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
On Gateshead Planning Portal 17/04/14 the scheme with amendments 13/01/14 - "Granted"

DC/13/01399/FUL

Proposed change of use of first and second floors to community centre, works to roof and facade including new shop front and windows, installation of rooflight windows to the front and rear and new bin store to the rear (amended 13.01.2014).

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MVWDZ8HK09O00

KEN

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
On Gateshead Planning Portal 17/04/14 the scheme with amendments 13/01/14 - "Granted"

DC/13/01399/FUL

Proposed change of use of first and second floors to community centre, works to roof and facade including new shop front and windows, installation of rooflight windows to the front and rear and new bin store to the rear (amended 13.01.2014).

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MVWDZ8HK09O00

KEN
This struck a chord when it first appeared because a similar application was made in 2008:

DC/08/00203/COU | Conversion of part of ground floor, first floor and second floor from retail to islamic cultural centre involving praying room/cultural activities/education on first floor and office/storage on second floor (amended 08/05/2008). | G.L Saul 137-141 Coatsworth Road Bensham Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SQ

This would have been after Saul's closed and before Adam's opened. The application form for the 2008 application is missing from the Portal so I don't know if it was the same applicant. Permission was granted but the work was never carried out. I notice in the 2013 application a specific mention of THI (Townscape Heritage Initiatives) and wonder if the additional funds available might have made it worth pursuing the application again. Perhaps I am just a cynic.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It was also in last year Alf, this was an amended proposal from November.

Also:

DC/08/00203/COU | Conversion of part of ground floor, first floor and second floor from retail to islamic cultural centre involving praying room/cultural activities/education on first floor and office/storage on second floor (amended 08/05/2008). | G.L Saul 137-141 Coatsworth Road Bensham Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SQ

Applicant Shahjalal Islamic Centre

Steve

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Danskys, 223 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - THI, New shop front with installation of dormer window, 03/05/14

The other scheme noted on the scanned document of post 90

On Gateshead Planning Portal as "Granted"

DC/13/00875/FUL

New shop front with installation of dormer window in roofspace to the front elevation and new garden enclosure to side (amended 01/09/13).

Danskys 223 Coatsworth Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1SR

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

This picture by myself of how it looks 26/11/13 AM

and this screen print of drawing from the planning documents showing proposed scheme

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Following on from the above post, #98 of 26/11/13

Having seen scaffold being put up on Friday 02/05/14 this picture by myself Saturday 03/05/14 approx 1045 shows that work looks to have started

Image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Danskys, 223 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - THI, New shop front with installation of dormer window, 10/05/14

Snap, Alf

These 2 pictures by myself 10/05/14 approx 1400 showing other elevation

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Danskys, 223 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - THI, New shop front with installation of dormer window, 21/05/14

Following on from my post #116 of 10/05/14

This 2 picture by myself 21/05/14 approx 0930 showing state of work being carried out by main contractor, Wentworth Construction of Springwell Village

Image hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
20,841 Posts
Danskys, 223 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead - THI, New shop front with installation of dormer window, 25/05/14

Following on from my post #117 of 21/05/14

This pictures by myself Sunday 25/05/14 approx 1130 showing state of work being carried out by main contractor, Wentworth Construction of Springwell Village - garden boundary wall in progress and looks as if new shop front now in place

KEN

101 - 120 of 483 Posts