SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No one saw this coming...

Braves: Moving to Cobb County in '17

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves say they are leaving Turner Field and moving into a new 42,000-seat, $672 million stadium complex in Cobb County in 2017.

Braves executives John Schuerholz, Mike Plant and Derek Schiller said Monday the team decided not to seek another 20-year lease at Turner Field and began talks with the Cobb-Marietta Coliseum & Exhibit Hall Authority in July.

The Braves also announced the news via their Twitter account.

"We are excited to announce plans to build a world-class stadium, which will open in 2017 at the NW intersection of I-75/I-285. #Braves"

The infrastructure at Turner Field was built for the 1996 Summer Olympics and was converted to a baseball park for 1997. The Braves' lease expires after the 2016 season.

The proposed stadium will be part of a 60-acre development near the Cobb Galleria mall.

Plant said talks broke down with the Atlanta Fulton County Recreational Authority earlier this year. He added that the team has not signed a contract with Cobb County, but he's "100 percent certain it will happen."

Schiller said financing will come from the Braves and the Cobb County government. The team will be responsible for any cost overruns.

Cobb County is located just outside the northwest city limits of Atlanta. The proposed site is about 10 miles from Turner Field.

More info on this breaking news here...

http://www.peachpundit.com/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-plan-move-to-cobb-county-by-2017/

Apparently Cobb County is one of the wealthiest and most populous counties in the Atlanta area, so I guess the Braves got a good deal and are close to a large, desired demographic.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
What? I mean the Braves are the only major league baseball team in the world to call a former Olympic stadium their home...and was built for them?? Is Atlanta nuts??

Maybe they can bid for the Olympics again?? :nuts:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The cost to tear down Turner Field will probably match the cost to reconfigure the stadium back to it's original Olympic plan.

Make the stadium the home of a new MLS franchise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just saw this on ESPN and thought it was an Onion story.

I am absolutely shocked. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Turner Field. I've been to a dozen games there and sat all over the park. I have also been to 12 other MLB stadiums, so I have something to compare it to. What in the (bleep) is the team thinking?

GunnerJacket, where art thou with some insider info?

·
12,087 Posts
DO we need a new thread for this already? They've not secured the public financing and haven't hired someone for design. Suggest we keep this in the Turner Field thread for now.

Make the stadium the home of a new MLS franchise.
Dear God no. Regardless, not a financial possibility, anyway.

·
12,087 Posts
GunnerJacket, where art thou with some insider info?
Ask and ye shall recieve!

Let's save everyone some time, shall we?

Yes, the proposal appears legit. Go to homeofthebraves.com for their sales pitch, but be mindful of the hypocritical stances they use regarding parking, transit and surrounding development. AJC.com has articles about it, as well.

They're using the Falcons approach to the argument that the Ted is so old ("How old is she?!") that by the time they're done making necessary upgrades you'd might as well build anew. (Thank you, disposable computer industry!) Plus they lament that the area surrounding Turner Field hasn't blossomed as hoped. I feel the Braves are partly to blame because they pursued the location during the Olympic development and maintain the need for all that parking. After all, nothing endears itself to bars and residential development like lots and lots of surface parking!

So is this a ploy to make ATL pay up? Probably not. I suspect that the team and the city officials realized this wasn't going to be as critical to Atlanta and to voters as the Falcons, since the Dome is an integral part of the GWCC complex. So the Braves pursued Plan B behind the scenes and they know 70%+ of their ticket base lies north of the city. Maybe Atlanta comes back and helps with the Ted, or more likely the voters in Cobb reject any financial support. Cobb County is thick with Tea Party members and the location is already among the most congested in the metro area. Thus I'm not convinced the Braves are moving. Yet.

Could the new site work? Highly possible, but as I've offered elsewhere that's based on a lot of hopes and wishful thinking at this point. If they build a well designed, eco-friendly facility that leads to transportation improvements and possible rail service into Marietta then this could indeed turn into a big win. Downtown ATL isn't reliant on the Braves and the Turner Field location could become a southside redevelopment like Atlantic Station. So it depends on faith and follow through here.

It's all been just announced today and the local buzz is, shall we say, full of shock and awe. Will offer more as it comes to light.

·
12,087 Posts
So I've been searching for the supposed source of the projected $100M in maintenance and upgrade costs the Ted supposedly "needs." According to a reporter on the radio he was told by Braves officials that much of it is the internal retrofitting of surfaces, furnishings and electronics. Allegedly most of the seats need replacing, suites need full make-overs, and in some instances the internal plumbing must be replaced. Much of this is normal with wear and tear (they say), but, as with most such projects, they're wanting to not simply replace with the same stuff but upgrade where possible: Namely new electronics to better support multi-media.

Structurally the venue last passed a full inspection in 2010/11 and the steel and concrete showed no odd wearing. New exterior paint may be needed by 2017 and the team and city want to improve the concenssion area fencing to prevent falls like the one that killed one fan earlier this year. Other than that there's been no indication of any special needs for the structure.

·
12,087 Posts
Maybe Hartsfield will move next?? :rofl:
The City will never sell that. Heck, in 2011 they rejected a proposal to build a second airport on land they own in Dawsonville just to keep Hartsfield this busy. I suspect they hope to inherit Dobbins AFB someday. "Say, are you done with that? If you're leaving would you mind if we just took care of that for you? thanks!"

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
What? I mean the Braves are the only major league baseball team in the world to call a former Olympic stadium their home...and was built for them?? Is Atlanta nuts??

Maybe they can bid for the Olympics again?? :nuts:
Well currently, previously the Dodgers and of course, the Expos played in stadiums that hosted the Olympics.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I just saw this on ESPN and thought it was an Onion story.
Second that. I actually had to stop and think 'Wait, this isn't April!' I looked at the aerial photos on Google, and I can't even figure out where this is going to go.

The Braves really need to work on their spin-doctoring. They claim that a major reason for the move was the distance from MARTA, and so they are moving the the most transit-challenged and traffic-choked spot in the state. Makes perfect sense to me. :nuts:

·
12,087 Posts
Its a case of white flight. Majority of people don't feel comfortable going to Turner Field because of the neighborhood its in.

Just the same as Lakewood and the new concert location in Alpharetta.
An astute observation and good comparison, though I'd say it's as much/moreso an economic prejudice than simple racism. The Ted is hardly integrated into the Grant Park community (which some would say is part of the problem), so anyone wishing is capable of driving to & leaving from the venue without interacting with the locals. And odds are they'll be able to do the same in Cobb, only with the money from parking going to the Braves instead of Atlanta.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can't believe a stadium that isn't even 20 years old needs so many repairs that it has to be rebuilt. It seems like stadiums don't last long in Atlanta. I thought replacing the Georgia Dome was unnecessary, but this takes the cake.

·
12,087 Posts
I think we have a new winner for most unnecessary sports facility ever.
I see where you're going but surely a myriad of the facilities built for the olympics are even moreso. Softball and baseball fields in Greece? Velodromes and beach volleyball venues? Simply look at how many of them are built as purely temporary stadia and that tells us what we need to know.

·
12,087 Posts
I can't believe a stadium that isn't even 20 years old needs so many repairs that it has to be rebuilt. It seems like stadiums don't last long in Atlanta. I thought replacing the Georgia Dome was unnecessary, but this takes the cake.
Again, I'm not in favor of this proposal but... we're confusing necessary with business-practical. New cars aren't necessary but get bought everyday. New homes, new clothes, etc. We've become a society based around disposable commodities! Moving may not be necessary, but the Braves think the model is a smart business move.

If the Braves were paying for this on their own few people would cry about the move. Thus, it's not the relocation that matters, it's the call for public financing that's galling.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I see where you're going but surely a myriad of the facilities built for the olympics are even moreso. Softball and baseball fields in Greece? Velodromes and beach volleyball venues? Simply look at how many of them are built as purely temporary stadia and that tells us what we need to know.
Sure, I guess thats fair, I wasn't really thinking of 4,000 seat softball venues or velodromes as much as "real" pro sized stadiums and arenas. And if they are temporary venues I view that as an entirely other category that is the cost of doing business to host the Olympics. One could also make an arguement for 10 out of the 12 world cup stadiums they are going to use in Qatar.

But here we have a case where there is already a good stadium in place thats not very old in a sport that does better with older venues than any other. The Falcons proposal seemed absurd enough with the Georgia Dome being as functional as it is, but this is on another level. You'd think for maybe $150 million they could trick out Turner Field with everything on their wishlist (besides a white neighborhood) instead of the $700 million that a new one probably ends up costing. And it sounds like severely straining the existing highway infrastructure which would require even more public money to solve a problem they shouldn't have in the first place.

1 - 20 of 870 Posts