SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cockatoo Island is located on Western side of Sydney Harbour, just North of Balmain. It was used as a shipyard from mid 19th century to the beginning of 20th century.

It is a UNESCO registered World Heritage Listed site.

I'll post more photos, including colour later on.

Crane Pulley by Yavomo, on Flickr

Pillars in Warehouse by Yavomo, on Flickr

Warehouse Height by Yavomo, on Flickr

Iron Warehouse by Yavomo, on Flickr

Tunnel Equipment by Yavomo, on Flickr

Tunnel Equipment by Yavomo, on Flickr

Tunnel Drillpiece by Yavomo, on Flickr

Two Cranes by Yavomo, on Flickr

Tunnel Lights by Yavomo, on Flickr

Sandstone Patio by Yavomo, on Flickr

Railroad by Yavomo, on Flickr

Warehouse and City by Yavomo, on Flickr

Sandstone quadrangle by Yavomo, on Flickr

Burnt building and chimney by Yavomo, on Flickr

Shipyard by Yavomo, on Flickr

Marina by Yavomo, on Flickr

Shipward Dock by Yavomo, on Flickr

Yard by Yavomo, on Flickr

Silver Bus by Yavomo, on Flickr

Boating Away by Yavomo, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Cool shots.
Cockatoo Island is used for a few art festivals. There used to be a street art festival on called Outpost but unfortunately they cancelled it this year. Other art shows are on, Biennale 2014 and Underbelly.

·
Premium Member
8,782 Posts
Cockatoo Island is located on Western side of Sydney Harbour, just North of Balmain. It was used as a shipyard from mid 19th century to the beginning of 20th century.

It was still being used as a shipyard at least as late as 1988, I used to be in the Navy and remember going there when I was part of the crew of HMAS Stalwart which was in the dock there for a refit. It closed as a Naval dockyard not long after that, probably 89 or 90. HMAS Success, a replenishment ship still in use was the last ship to be built there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
this is UNESCO heritage listed.. ? why? i mean, it's cool and everything but how is it heritage listed but this isn't?

something tells me the people at australia's tourism board are very vigorous lobbyists indeed.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Love your shots Miliux and love the place.
I've got the ferry out there for the last two Biennale Fests., and still haven't had the time to see much 'art' !
Never heard of the Underbelly show Mornnb - maybe you could post stuff later on the Cultural thread?

Got a mate whose dad was a submariner who docked out there.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Love your shots Miliux and love the place.
I've got the ferry out there for the last two Biennale Fests., and still haven't had the time to see much 'art' !
Never heard of the Underbelly show Mornnb - maybe you could post stuff later on the Cultural thread?
I've only attended Outpost. But Underbelly looks quite interesting, interactive live performances by dancers and musicians. There's some shots and info here. http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/events/underbelly-2013.html
And the Biennale is a festival of modern art. http://www.biennaleofsydney.com.au/

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I must get out to Cockatoo Island one of these days. Great shots Miliux :)

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a regular ferry service from Circular Quay. I was surprised how well organized and tourist friendly it is with lots of facilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts