SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to think of seriously good cocktail bars in Glasgow. Are there any?

I mean the sort that employs bar staff who really know their trade and take pride in their work. Not the sort that employs bar staff who know how to pour vodka mixes and a few cocktails from a short menu.

The only places I'm vaguely aware of are the Corinthian, and the Blue Dog. One time in the latter, the bar staff had a hard time with pints. Blue Dog I've yet to try. Any others?

·
Sciurius Regalis
3,684 Posts

I mean the sort that employs bar staff who really know their trade and take pride in their work. Not the sort that employs bar staff who know how to pour vodka mixes and a few cocktails from a short menu.

The only places I'm vaguely aware of are the Corinthian, and the Blue Dog. One time in the latter, the bar staff had a hard time with pints. Blue Dog I've yet to try. Any others?
Hummingbird on Bath Street is pretty good though they do tend to start blanking over when you ask for the umpteenth special.

Extent of my knowledge these days I'm afraid, Gong and Stavka are long gone...

A quick google search brought up Bath Street Pony? Supposedly best cocktail bar in Scotland...

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
I'm asking this seriously... but is it even legal to make good cocktails in Scotland?

I ask this because I only really started drinking cocktails after I moved to the States, the birthplace of the mixed drink. Even dive bars here tend to have a cocktail menu. The first time I ordered a gin & tonic here, I felt liking asking if I could some tonic in it, it was that strong. Most of the the cocktails I drink now are pretty much pure liquor: a manhattan is 2:1 whiskey to vermouth; and a decent martini is gin waved in the general direction of Italy. If I recall correctly, Scottish licensing laws mean that spirits can be only be served in 25ml or 35ml increments, which has got to make blending stiff drinks pretty difficult (or at least expensive).

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I'm asking this seriously... but is it even legal to make good cocktails in Scotland?

I ask this because I only really started drinking cocktails after I moved to the States, the birthplace of the mixed drink. Even dive bars here tend to have a cocktail menu. The first time I ordered a gin & tonic here, I felt liking asking if I could some tonic in it, it was that strong. Most of the the cocktails I drink now are pretty much pure liquor: a manhattan is 2:1 whiskey to vermouth; and a decent martini is gin waved in the general direction of Italy. If I recall correctly, Scottish licensing laws mean that spirits can be only be served in 25ml or 35ml increments, which has got to make blending stiff drinks pretty difficult (or at least expensive).
Edinburgh has some ridiculously good cocktail bars - Raconteur (currently relocating but doing stints at picardy place and headed by one of the world's top bartenders), Bramble and more recently stockbridge newcomer The Last Word. Even some lesser bars like Bon Vivant can stir up a good Negroni or Sazerac. Not sure about Glasgow - i've heard it's pretty dire for cocktails - the blythswood seems to be rated but most people i know who have visited haven't been too impressed.

I actually prefer UK measurements for a cocktail most of the time and personally, the cocktail bars i've been to in the UK make more refined drinks than counterparts in the US. mind you some of the better cocktail bars in the US have started serving UK sized cocktails which are a tad smaller - keeps the drink cooler for their duration and lets you allow a greater variety of drinks over an evening without getting sloshed.

saying that i also prefer an amount of (fresh) vermouth in my martinis that i can actually taste, otherwise its just frozen gin, though dukes in london literally serve it that way (keep the gin in the freezer, no stirring with ice to dilute).

ps if you are in portland check out Clyde Common if you havent already. the head bartender jeffrey morganthaler is pretty much a world leader in his field (and pioneered modern barrel ageing of cocktails). the bar itself is perhaps a bit more high-volume than most other top end cocktail bars around the world, but still pumps out great drinks and solid food.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
sds said:

Blue Dog is defo good, give it a go.

I've heard the Grand Central bar is good for cocktails but not tried any there. The cocktail bar at Meditterraneo on Ingram Street has had some good reviews. I've also had a cracking mojito in The Limelight on Waterloo Street (Hotel Indigo).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maccoinnich said:

I ask this because I only really started drinking cocktails after I moved to the States,
Similar, though I've not moved permanently. I was absolutely blown away by some of the places in San Francisco.

There are a couple of names popping up here that I hadn't thought of. Will have to investigate! :)

Keep 'em coming, folks.

·
uberteeb
184 Posts
Sadly in Glasgow you're lucky if a place with White Russians on the menu actually use Kalou, I'd say around half use Tia Fucking Maria, gies a break.

I don't drink in cocktail bars to be honest but spent a few nights in the Blue Dog a while back and they know their stuff in there.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Maybe that's your preference but bullshit it is not.
Surely tia maria is only used by the likes of Sleazy's when they are selling them for 2 quid a pop?

Mind you, according to wikipedia it just needs "coffee liqueur" without being specific, so i guess you can use anything.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Tom Collins I had in the Blythswood seemed decent enough.

Gong is indeed gone, but they have a decent set of cocktails in the Hillhead Book Club that replaces it, particularly enjoyed the Vanilla Russian.

http://www.hillheadbookclub.com/drinks

Oh, and Booly Mardy's across the road:

http://www.bloodymarys.co.uk/
Ah yes! Booly Mardy's I'd totally forgotten about. I don't know if I'd rate the HHBC though. Last I was in, the service was achingly slow, and unfriendly.

·
uberteeb
184 Posts
Nude above Radio on Ashton Lane is good if you're looking for birds who are looking for cheap cocktails, like flies round shite tonight :lol:

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
ps if you are in portland check out Clyde Common if you havent already. the head bartender jeffrey morganthaler is pretty much a world leader in his field (and pioneered modern barrel ageing of cocktails). the bar itself is perhaps a bit more high-volume than most other top end cocktail bars around the world, but still pumps out great drinks and solid food.
I live about 10 blocks from Clyde Common, and was last there about 2 weeks ago. I enjoy their drinks and food very much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts