SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I think it has been and still Chennai, bangalore, hyderabad in that order. The fourth place is cbe but which can be disputed with kochi though. Other south indian cities are quite far from the reach i suppose

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
You can very well consider Vizag along with Kochi and Coimbatore... Right now Kochi ahead of Coimbatore in many aspect n Vizag also in same league with CBE... Lets see how it unfold in coming decades...

Wish Coimbatore remain 4th Largest city in South India forever ahead of our neibours like Kochi and Vizag... Other cities long way to go to catch up these three cities...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You can very well consider Vizag along with Kochi and Coimbatore... Right now Kochi ahead of Coimbatore in many aspect n Vizag also in same league with CBE... Lets see how it unfold in coming decades...

Wish Coimbatore remain 4th Largest city in South India forever ahead of our neibours like Kochi and Vizag... Other cities long way to go to catch up these three cities...
who said KOCHI is bigger?.which aspect is it bigger?.population is 2.2 million for KOCHI-UA whereas for coimbatore it is 2.5 million.it has only higher malls than kovai

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
who said KOCHI is bigger?.which aspect is it bigger?.population is 2.2 million for KOCHI-UA whereas for coimbatore it is 2.5 million.it has only higher malls than kovai
i cant believe the way Cochin is developing especially on highrises, malls.
Its also a tier2 city like Coimbatore.! also population is lesser than CBE.:bash:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
i cant believe the way Cochin is developing especially on highrises, malls.
Its also a tier2 city like Coimbatore.! also population is lesser than CBE.:bash:
Everything boils down to money. TN cannot be compared with Kerala. In kerala every village more than 40% people go abroad. Compare with TN villagers are still poor and they dont go anywhere except TN.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
But both Coimbatore and Kochi has bright future !like as Chennai Bangalore.
With no govt doing anything to CBE what future is there for CBE.
I am thinking now Trichy is doing good because of Amma doing at least something there.
Cochin lobby is all powerful and they beat Trivandrum and get anything there first using the central location theory.

·
Curry Muncher
11,922 Posts
I am thinking now Trichy is doing good because of Amma doing at least something there.
Cochin lobby is all powerful and they beat Trivandrum and get anything there first using the central location theory.
Agreed!

·
Registered Kochinite. MI
24,375 Posts
Central Location Theory? Strange, but not suprised as you guys too are white-washed by regular propaganda happening in SSC....

If its central location, then definitely it should be Thrissur, be the geographic center of Kerala. Equally the city is known for its entrepreneurial atmosphere and almost majority of Richie-Riche of Kerala, say Alukkas, Emke Group, Sobha Group or Kalyans are from Thrissur, which is also the largest Gold hub in South India, processing almost 100 tonnes of gold annually... And also the being home several banks.... Still Thrissur is not a Tier 2 city, despite of having so much lobbying power....

Cochin's growth is natural and cannot be undermined calling Central Location.... Things donot come to one place, just because its centrally located. Else Nagpur would have been India's economic hub...

Yes its true, unlike TN, Kerala has strong decentralized attitude. There is nothing like All-In-Capital attitude as in other states.... Any resource is distributed across the state and Kochi being the key industrial and economic hub enjoys the benefits too..... It need not be cited as Central location factor

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Everything boils down to money. TN cannot be compared with Kerala. In kerala every village more than 40% people go abroad. Compare with TN villagers are still poor and they dont go anywhere except TN.
This is because of poor attitude of TN politicians. For TN politicians Only chennai is tamilnadu.
They dont consider Other cities as part of TN especially CBE.
Kerala is decentralized and infact cochin gets more attention than TVM.
Kerala is the only state in india having three international airports and fourth is in plan.
Tamils also equally migrated all over the world but we cant influence central govt to get intl airport in madurai. Just recently Trichy and CBE got intl status with limited connectivity.

·
Kandeeban
1,264 Posts
ah here goes again.. Tamils with super-inferiority complex..
the Kerala model of "prosperity" is not something that can be replicated everywhere and even if it can be, it is not desirable.do u want all of india to generate money just by working in the gulf?
Id prefer the TN model anyday..
We started off well... but we have slightly gone wrong somewhere.. TN laid emphasis on manufacturing as this was the only way to bring huge masses out of poverty and it has worked well.. meanwhile, as literacy kept growing we kept ignoring our educated youth and Bangalore sucked away our technical talent... TN got rattled and is seriously scared that Blore may become more important than Chennai(if it is not , already).. which is why i believe there is too much focus on Chennai..
otherwise, TN is the most urbanized state and for a long time no other state had so much equitable development..Bangalore is the polarizing factor and is the frankenstein's monster... if we need to discuss more, lets move to Coimbatore chaibar

And I do agree Kerala has taken all its 3-4 major cities along... it has nothing to lose.. it doesnt fear bangalore...i appreciate them for that

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Agreed!
but at the same time kerala govt should also give extra and more importance to capital Trivandrum and make it as large metropolis like Bangalore,Chennai,hydrabad .!
Will they succeed in this !.Or they should make Cochin as capital.
Kerala still lacks on road infrastructure !where today almost all states in India has excellent NH network .

·
Kandeeban
1,264 Posts
IMHO, kerala is doing the right thing.. we dont need big cities.. any city greater than 4-5 million is a drag in the indian context.. we are poor at planning. we need spread-out urbanisation with excellent bullet trains connecting major urban centers, tier-2 and 3 cities ..

61 - 80 of 94 Posts