SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
21,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members,

Though still the project is in very early stage of papers, this deserves a new thread. We can discuss about common development involving in this region.

Let me post more information on this and I hope other members will also contribute to this thread.

·
21,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
U.K. firm to assess industrial corridor’s feasibility

N. Anand

CHENNAI: The State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu (SIPCOT) on Thursday invited the U.K.-based Mott MacDonald to conduct a feasibility study for the proposed industrial corridor of excellence that will run from Chennai to Bangalore.

Sensing that the development would slowly extend beyond Sriperumbudur, the Industries Department mooted the Chennai-Bangalore, Coimbatore-Salem and Madurai-Thoothukudi industrial corridors. The Chief Minister wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, urging him to announce development of the Chennai-Bangalore corridor to provide globally competitive infrastructure and promote inclusive and sustainable industrial development. The Prime Minister’s Office gave the nod on April 1.
http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/25/stories/2008042554370500.htm

·
Registered
481 Posts
Aah.. i always wanted have this thread..
Arul thanks for Starting this thread.
I'm sure that this will be happening in coming months...
I invite all Salem, Erode, Tirupur and Kovai members to contribute in this.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice to see this new thread. In early stages it would be difficult post any news here & keep this thread afloat. But I'm sure in days to come there would be lot to be posted here!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Arulmurugan,
You are very fast.. Good to start an thread like this for our western region..

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
hi members.
nice to c this new thread.. but i wanted to know whether any consultant has been appointed by tn gov for carryin out feasibility study? is thr any news after announcing it in d industrial policy.?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Nice to see this new thread..

Let us discuss what are the things to be done (infrastructure development) and why the government should consider speedy implementation of industrial corridor.

Pro's:

High density of Industries and clusters
Good connectivity (Road and rail)
Education

Cons:
Power shortage
Better roads
Cluster development

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
NEEDS:
1. A captive power plant for the clusters.
2. A dry port.(customs formalities could be finished here and be sent to the ports direct for shipping).
3. A business development council. (To assist manufacturers to get exposed to global markets and in finding new and niche markets)
4. Development of Social infrastructure for the population that is going to be.
5. Industry-Institution partnership for continuous innovation and better and industry relevant education.
6. Better air connectivity. (development of Cargo terminal at Coimbatore and Salem airports).

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
development of air cargo terminal at coimbatore would be of prime importance for this proposed industrial corridor.
besides this the gov can allot some country specific industrial clusters as well along this corridor wit out confining to sriperumbdur. and also they should think of giving thrust to development of cbe,tripur,erode n salem infrastructure, so that d corridor wil witness faster growth.
i dream that d mega aerospace park comes along this corridor.
but howfar it is viable we have to discuss.

·
When it rains, it pours!
2,451 Posts
^^ Mega Aeropark will come mostly in chennai... the 2nd option they were considering is Hosur.

But there are other aeroparks in plan near cbe if am not wrong.

·
When it rains, it pours!
2,451 Posts
^^ It is being planned by Mahindra World City...

Quoting from Tamil nadu projects & developments II

Taneja Aerospace to float JV with Tidco

CHENNAI: Bangalore-based Taneja Aerospace is to float a joint venture with the state-owned TIDCO to create a new facility at Hosur as part of
expanding its interest in aerospace there. The TN agency is set to pick up a small stake in the venture to play the role of a facilitator.

Taneja Aerospace plans to expand its existing facility at Hosur by acquiring an additional 250-300 acres. The land and infrastructure creation envisages an investment of Rs 300 crore, a top Government official told ET.

A new company or a special purpose vehicle will not be formed for the venture as Tidco’s share would be of a participatory nature only. The new unit would exploit the opportunity in the MRO — maintenance, repair and overhaul — and in the manufacture of aero parts , the official said.

A senior official of Taneja Aerospace said discussions were on with several agencies, including Tidco. He, however, decline to divulge details of the latest project.

It is learnt the State’s inherent strength in terms of talent reservoir is said to have influenced the company to select Hosur for developing it as an aerospace hub. Hosur is also close to Bangalore, where the industry is well established.

" The skillset available in TN is totally unparalleled by any other state in India. This has helped the State to attract big ticket investments in the auto sector. Now, it wants to repeat the success story in aerospace", the official explained.

It is also learnt that Taneja Aerospace is scouting for foreign partners to fund the project. Meanwhile, the state has been steadily increasing its focus on the aerospace front, attracting other companies/groups to explore manufacturing prospects in this industry. GVK Industries, for instance, which already has 3,000 acres for its multi product SEZ in Perumbalur district , is actively considering taking an additional 2,000 acres either there or Hosur for its aerospace project.

Mahindra World City too has identified 1,000 acres in Coimbatore for promoting an aerospace project. It is also scouting for large tracts of land in the Hosur belt to locate its third campus and thereby give a leg-up to the aeropark venture, a pet project of the Tamil Nadu government.

During mid-May, a 10-member high-level delegation from Tidco, industry representatives and companies would be in the US. The team would halt at St Louis and Wichita in Kansas to forge collaborations with aviation biggies. If the visits to Boeing and EADS, to name a few, yield results, concerted efforts would be made to showcase specific sites in TN to meet their requirements, the source noted.
Apart from the $30 billion (30% offset clause) opportunity in a 5-10 year time frame, the interest in aerospace is gaining momentum, with a
committed investment of $5 billion expected to pour into the state in the near horizon, the source said.

All efforts are being directed towards concretising plans and inviting investors with a gusto. A study of the St Louis Aeropark model too is in the offing, he added.

According to a CII- Pricewaterhouse Coopers report, " India is poised to become a large commercial and defence aircraft market. With rising passenger traffic and increasing military and defence expenditures, the demand for aircrafts is expected to increase".

The report further said, " Boeing expects a demand of between 900 to 1,000 commercial aircraft worth $100 billion approximately in the next 20 years. This also suggests that a significant portion of business opportunity could accrue to India, due to the associated offsets".

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yes Krishna,
we had some news in TOI about Mahendra world city planning for a aero park in coimbatore and the news said they have acquired close to 1000acres for the purpose.
we had news abt mahendra world city plans in cbe for sometime. That y I think cbe may also be suitable for aero industries, just like blore.. Im hoping that some things wil happen for cbe in dis regard.

It is almost certain that mega aero park will be at chennai only but still as a coimbatorean i dream of having it in my city

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yes Krishna,
we had some news in TOI about Mahendra world city planning for a aero park in coimbatore and the news said they have acquired close to 1000acres for the purpose.
we had news abt mahendra world city plans in cbe for sometime. That y I think cbe may also be suitable for aero industries, just like blore.. Im hoping that some things wil happen for cbe in dis regard.

It is almost certain that mega aero park will be at chennai only but still as a coimbatorean i dream of having it in my city
yeah,
everybody loves his or her city.That's natural. My point is different. Bengaluru is already an aerospace hub. Now hosur is just becoming its extension. Nothing will come in large scale in case of hosur.(i.e runway, aircraft assembly centre etc). Apart from that BIAL (Bengaluru International Airport) has a dedicated Aero SEZ within its premises. HIAL (Hyderabad International Airport) is promoting an Aerospace SEZ in more than 1000 acres with few confirmed clients like Malaysian Airports , Lufthansa Technik, Tata etc and many more land free. In such a scenario I dunno how much will the Chennai Aero park will be viable. Only if a large venture like the Airbus comes would it be viable. So I am sceptical about Coimbatore Aerospace SEZ. May be it will be for aerospace components.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
even i was thinking that too much aeroparks r being planned in d country for d no of players in aero industry.
already in north near panchakula,nagpur, blore, hyd now its chennai... lets c

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just to end the confusion

Its Perambalur. Not Chennai. The T.N govt decides to develop the proposed aerospace park in Perambalur dist. due to unavailability of suitable land in Chennai.

TN eyes Perambalur for locating aeropark on 4,000 acres

CHENNAI: The Tamil Nadu government has given the much-awaited formal nod to promote a mega aerospace project in the state. Soon, a high-level delegation is expected to visit the US to woo investors in the sector.

Official agencies are working overtime to prepare the final blueprint and zero in on the location for the aerospace park, the next big ticket investment sector identified by the State Government after auto, IT and electronic hardware.

Once these are ready, Deputy Chief Minister M K Stalin, in-charge of major industries, is expected to visit the US backed by a high-powered delegation of top officials and industry leaders.

Mr Stalin may accompany industry captains and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) representatives, who are keen to explore collaborations with companies in the US, people familiar with the development told ET.

Alongside, the site evaluation exercise is on. It would take one or two months to identify and finalise the place of the proposed aeropark. Efforts were on for over a year to locate the aeropark within Chennai or nearby. Hosur was considered because of its proximity to Bangalore. But, it has only 250 acres available for the park.

On the other hand, Ennore in Chennai, another potential destination was not considered on technical grounds. Though land was available at Sriharikota, it too could not fit in the scheme of things, a government source told ET.

After prolonged discussions, the stakeholders have finally agreed to consider Perambalur district, where land is available in plenty. Already the government is promoting a multi-product special economic zone in the district. By locating the aeropark in the backward area, an ideal ecosystem could be nurtured, the source added.

An advisory board meeting is scheduled for early August by which time, the site evaluation exercise is expected to be completed. Investors can be lured only after firming up the aeropark location, the source said.

India has 60-plus aerospace components manufacturers in Bangalore and Chennai. Global companies like Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Rolls Royce, Dassault Aviation, GKN, MBDA France, Safran Honeywell International, Hamilton Sundstrand Corporation, L-3 Communications Holdings and Pratt & Whitney are some of the potential investors keenly evaluating the investment opportunities in the aerospace project.

CII , as the nodal agency, has taken pro-active steps in this regard. A steering committee, headed CII-TN chairman C K Ranganathan meets regularly and reviews the progress. The monthly meeting scheduled for July 25, has been postponed to early-August.

Some key areas discussed during the advisory meetings held so far included identification of a land bank for the aeropark, steps to obtain the approval from the government to create the aeropark, reaching out to potential investors including anchor customer, conducting roadshows in Europe and US and formulating a model for setting up the PG/UG/technicians and maintenance/flight school training programmes
source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Transportation/Airlines-Aviation/TN-eyes-Perambalur-for-locating-aeropark-on-4000-acres/articleshow/4788658.cms?curpg=1

The T.N govt has took a major step in promoting industrilaisation in a tier -2 city. Now it faces the challenge of showcasing the strengths of the place against biggies like Bengaluru and Hyderabad.

·
When it rains, it pours!
2,451 Posts
^^ Now it will be interesting to see where the GVK Aero park will be (perambalur or Hosur)..
Taneja and Mahindra World City are already planning on Hosur..
Mahindra World City already identified 1000 acres in coimbatore for aero park.

So this will Aero Triangle within Tamil Nadu... Coimbatore - Hosur - Perambalur with the latter being the apex! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts