Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who believes this winter seems to be colder than last year? I mean, my room temperature measuring thingy on my clock has never ever read -1 degrees in my room...:D

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I agree - although autumn lasted a long time, the prolonged cold blast in May is a little unusual. The real test is whether it lasts until September. I actually like the cold nights and early mornings - at least it warms up by mid morning and the days are just glorious. I love summer, but this time of year is hard to beat!

·
Developer
7,685 Posts
It may seem colder because recent years have been much hotter than average and last year was the hottest year on record in Australia.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Sydney has just had warmest and dryest Autumn ever.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
4 degrees here last night... Coldest (Big City) in the country..
Melb/Syd/Adel all around 10!
Canberra 9, Hobart was 7..

Darwin was 21 :p

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
^^
Much cooler than pervious year.

Last April Melbourne had an average temperature of 24.5C, this April we had an average of 19.8C, May followed the same pattern of cooler average temperatures than last year. March was the exception with long warm to hot days throughout the month with an average temperature of 26.5C.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Melb endured the coldest May since 1995, and the coldest overnight lows in 20years, so say Channel 7 news anyway.

·
26,640 Posts
Grollo said:
It may seem colder because recent years have been much hotter than average and last year was the hottest year on record in Australia.
Stanthorpe yesterday recieved its lowest recorded temperature EVER with -7 degrees...that's freaking cold for Queensland!!!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
KJBrissy said:
Stanthorpe yesterday recieved its lowest recorded temperature EVER with -7 degrees...that's freaking cold for Queensland!!!
Dear lord that's cold for everywhere, Melbourne's coldest on record is only -2.8!

·
Registered
811 Posts
The nights are cold (around 5c), certainly colder than it has been for May normally but the days are still beautiful and warm (around 22c). They reckon this weekend it is going to get windy/chilly in Brisbane making the maximums drop a little.

I find it amazing that Brisbanes min temps at night are usually lower than every other capital city and the relative humidity is lower also. Very chilly nights indeed.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
^^
Its the clear skies that cause the cold nights and warm days.

In the south during this time of year we are normally shrouded in cloud. Hence the warmer nights hovering around 10C and the cooler days hovering between 15C-16C in Melbourne and Adelaide and 17C-18C in Sydney.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
and the south thinks we have warm winters. the days are but the nights are friggin freezing up here. Ipswich was -3 the other morning with widespread HEAVY FROSTS

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've been in Melbourne during winter at night and its cold but I still think our nights just feel colder up here. I put it down to the fact because our days up here are usually warmer which means that when it gets colder at night it hits you harder and faster than say in melbourne because their temperature range is between 8-16c while ours is between 8-21c which is a greater extreme.

What im trying to say is the greater extremes makes the nights seem and feel colder.

·
©
9,478 Posts
When i saw Stanthorpe got to -7 the other day, my eyes nearly popped out of my head!! Thats farken cold for QLD!! Thats probably colder than anywhere in Australia got to at all last year!! I want some cold up here in NQ!! :( I love the cold weather. We only have 2 seasons up here, summer & mild summer. lol

·
26,640 Posts
The funny thing is, that when Stanthorpe got the -7, it wasn't even winter yet!! lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
its the coldest its been in the mornings!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Adelaide has had the coldest May since 1973, and the lowest average minimum temperature since 1898!!! So yes... It is VERY cold this year

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
Maybe down or up there... Sydney is absolutely dry, it's cold but no frost or dew.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts