Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this in the International Forums February last year ... but my photos are still lingering unloved in cyberspace.

Just in case anyone here doesn't know Collins Street from a stockyard fence ...

Three of SSC's current "Top One Hundred Talls" cluster along a kilometre of a rather short street: but there is much more to this street than skyscrapers. Collins St. is short, and by world standards, new, but it has preserved its history , almost from the time the first sod was turned ...

The towers of Collins St. Melbourne, as they appear from my front door. The five tall buildings (left to right) Melbourne Central (not in Collins St), Nauru House (with the blue star), Collins Place (With the ANZ Logo), and 120 & 101 Collins Street. At the right you can see the top of the Grand Hyatt, also in Collins St.

The Treasury Building: This building stares down Collins Street. During the 1850's, Victoria produced 40% of the world's gold. This building was built to house it, and it all passed through the building's basements. Like one other iconic Melbourne building, it was designed by a couple of public-service amateurs. Now: it's a Museum and a Marriage Chamber ... where I formerly had a booking!

Hoddle laid out the centre of Melbourne as an 8 East x 4 North grid: hence, until recently,Collins Street had eight blocks.

[Highlight]Block 1: Spring St. to Exhibition Street [/Highlight]

The south side of Collins St.: Left: No. 1; Right: Collins Plaza.

[Highlight]Block 2: Exhibition Street to Russell Sreet. [/Highlight]

Surprise, surprise! At the base of 120 Collins St. (left) and 101 Collins St. (right) there are small, almost identical buildings which have been preserved ... and that's what we see from the street.

St. Michaels ... and Scott's Church

[Highlight]Block 3: Russell Street to Swanston Street. [/Highlight]

At this corner there are: two churches, two spires, three steeples, and the Hyatt Hotel.

This has to be my favourite: The Presbyterian Assemby Hall.

[Highlight]Block 4: Swanston Street to Elizibeth Street. [/Highlight]

This is the very centre of town:

Manchester Unity Tower ... and the T &G (Temperance and General) Tower

w

Block Arcade, where it was very fashionable to stroll in the 1880's: left: outside; right: inside.

At the end of the block.

[Highlight]Block 5: Elizibeth Street to Queen Street. [/Highlight]

The dome of 333 Collins St., built in the 1980s, and perhaps the most opullent building in this street for the later Twentieth Century ... this building encases a Nineteeth Century Gem.

The Melbourne Stock Exchange of the 1880s boom ... and a flashback, to the centre of the city ...block 3.

Beside the Stock Exchange, the "Gothic Bank" of William Wardell ..

Deep inside 333, the original banking chamber of the Commercial Bank, and across the street, the golden ceilings of the former Stock Exchange/gothic bank.

[Highlight]Block 6: Queen Street to William Street. [/Highlight]

The "Goode" Building on the south-west corner: just some details.

This was once the "Western Market": this little open space in the heart of the city has had a chequred history. On the right, the "Black Stump" and "Temple Court" are shoulder to shoulder.

[Highlight]Block 7: William Street to King Street. [/Highlight]

The OlderFleet

The Old Rialto ...

Stock Exchange!

Left: our current Stock Exchange, and right, The New Rialto, as seen over St. Augustine's in Bourke Street.

The Rialto ...

The Rialto again, and ...

[Highlight]Block 8: King Street to Spencer Street. [/Highlight]

I worked in this area for many years. The tower in the centre was built by the MMBW (who built our water infrastructure) ... I used to play chess there at times. The tower on the left was built on what was an open plaza; public space.

[Highlight]Block 9: Docklands!. [/Highlight]

Collins Street has been extended! Here is Southern Cross Station, formerly Spencer Street (as it was back then):

There is a cerain irony in this. I first discovered Skyscraper City through my interest in the development of this station, but now, photography is verboten ...

The station is now complete, and, beyond it and the refurbished docks, Collins Street runs on to a very bright future.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks Yardmaster.The Treasury building is one of my all time Melbourne favorites and I had the pleasure of attending a friends wedding there recently.
This building/museum should be a must see for all visitors but strangely gets very little promotion wize from the MCC or State Govt.

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
Great pics Yardmaster!......I was thinking of wandering down Collins St to take similar pics..beat me to it !But then...I've been going to do that for years........Digital photography helps hey!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Yardmaster.The Treasury building is one of my all time Melbourne favorites and I had the pleasure of attending a friends wedding there recently.
This building/museum should be a must see for all visitors but strangely gets very little promotion wize from the MCC or State Govt.
I actually had a marriage booked there last year (for a date after the previous posting of this thread) but things changed. Off topic.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Truly a treat Yardmaster - and a reminder of exactly why this is justly regarded as one of the world's great streets. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
very impressive Yardmaster... thanks for sharing

i love of all those grand buildings... ! Marvellously Melbourne !

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: excellent presentation

gotta luv melbourne :cheers:

·
Registered
984 Posts
you weaved a great narrative there Yardmaster!

Excellent excellent photo thread!

Will you do a similar photo thread for a differernt noteworthy Melbourne St?

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you weaved a great narrative there Yardmaster!

Excellent excellent photo thread!

Will you do a similar photo thread for a differernt noteworthy Melbourne St?
I was thinking about that as I travelled along st. Kilda Road this afternoon.

But getting the photos ... right lighting, etc. ... isn't done in a day.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Is it true that for a period the streets were paved with gold? Until the Sultan of Brunei melted them down to encase one of his many elephant herds? :applause:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
^^ Not true, he actually had BIG TITS II built (a very big yacht) and had the exterior covered in gold.
This was so he can race against his brother, prince Jeff's yacht (BIG TITS I).
The gold coat was so he can stand out, after all he is The Sultan.

·
_-_-__Adelaide__-_-_
88 Posts
What is the Golden Mile?

·
7,975 Posts
My god, Melbourne just has so many old, beautiful buildings still around. Such a fantastic element of the city, and something that to me, could be considered Melbourne's "icon" - if it were looking for one.

·
Registered
12,894 Posts
John 14.....Collins St. is Melbournes premier street...home to major corporations, Banks, Insurance Companies etc....it is approximately a mile long..before extension into Docklands therefore referred to as the Golden Mile!!! Money..Money..Money!!!

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
Just hijacking your wonderful thread! Here's the golden mile from Batman's hill:

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
One of my favourite streets in Australia. I don't think there is any street in Australia that could boast to having such diverse architecture stretching over a long period of time. I could post many dozens of photos but I won't do that as yet.

The museum inside the building is excellent and I would recommend it. I loved the displays on the goldrushes.

Last year I was fortunate to be shown the room where the governor signs off bills with the executive each week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts