SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 2

The first thing, I think, that strikes a man who knows the three great modern cities of the world –London, Paris, New York –
and is walking observingly about Melbourne is that Melbourne is made up of curious elements.
There is something of London in her, something of Paris, something of New York, and something of her own.

Francis William Lauderdale Adams 1884

Above and below, inside the Kay Craddock’s Antiquarian Bookshop at 156 Collins Street.

The Georges Building.
Georges was known as the ‘smallest department store’, or ‘the biggest little store’, or even ‘the biggest boutique’.
Sadly the store closed down in the early 1990s and made a brief comeback again in 1998 only to close down again a few years later.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
great pics collector :) thanx for sharing them with us they're fantastic
just looking at those collins place towers, they really seem to be showing their age now, how great would they look if they got reclad in glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Excellent, Collector.

Two comments:

1. what happened to St. Michaels? :)

2. "Le Meridien" was boarded up last weekend, and according to my companions (who are better able to read signs across the street than me) the building was being renovated at the behest of Melbourne University. No doubt a more exhaustive search of this website would throw some light on this.

Two Earlier threads given over to the same wonderful street:

By The Collector: Collins St, Marvellous Melbourne (a bit similar. at least at the start !)
By YardMaster: Collins St: The Golden Mile

·
Registered Abuser
2,903 Posts
The grandest of them all! Is Collins Street Australia's most elegant stretch? You certainly make it look so.
In another three years you can extend your tour into the Docklands.

Oh and Le Meridan has been boarded up for some months now.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
^^ thanks for that ... so has Melbourne Uni got any stake in it, even just on the ground-floor front? (or should I tell my friend to get some glasses!)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A stroll down the east end of Collins Street in 1967.

CML building at the north-west corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets in November 1959.

The Regent Theatre and the now demolished Wentworth House in January 1964.

Collins Street near Queen Street intersection looking east in the 1950s.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Re-posting for the record from 'Old Days All Cities' because it fits in, and Collector's street threads are our favourites:
from Stuart Bremer's book 'City Life' - i think the 1950s.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
My number one street in Melbourne. I don't think there is such a vibrant street in Australia that is so rich architecturally. The old and the new mould in very well :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It is currently undergoing a $50 million refurb and will re-open late this year as Melbourne's first Intercontinental Hotel.
Not quite true! The old Southern Cross Hotel was an Intercontinental Hotel when they were owned by Pan Am Airlines.

A couple of references from the Web.

The following are the various Inter-Continental Hotel properties Mr. Prince was directly involved with from the Architectural Design and/or Interior Design from the beginning of construction to the day the Hotel opened:

Phoenicia Inter-Continental, Beirut, Lebanon(1961)
Ducor Inter-Continental, Monrovia, Liberia(1962)
Hotel Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia(1962)

Southern Cross Inter-Continental, Melbourne, Australia(1962)

Director of Sales & Marketing
Southern Cross Hotel, Melbourne, Australia
(Privately Held; 501-1000 employees; Hospitality industry)

1985 — 2000 (15 years)

I was so proud of the Southern Cross, Australia's largest five star hotel & convention centre. Unbelievable staff and so much history in this hotel, built by the InterContinental Group in 1962.
The hotel was torn down in 2001 and with the demolition went a large portion of Australia's hotel industry.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts