SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A selection of photos from all of Colombia's 5 natural regions:

Andes | Caribbean | Amazon | Pacific | Savannah (aka Llanos)
^^
Please state what geographical region is represented by using the colours above.

I'll begin with 2 Andean landscapes and 1 Caribbean.

Chingaza National Park

Taroa, Guajira

Cabo de La Vela, Guajira

Sierra Nevada del Cocuy, Boyaca

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what do we think so far?

Not bad for a "tropical" country smack bang on the equator the size of Ontario or South Australia or Texas + New Mexico hey?

The reason Colombia has many climates is due to its mountainous terrain. About 1/4 of the country is mountainous between 1km and 6km high. This is also where 70% of the population lives to escape the humidity of the coastal and tropical forest regions. Colombia's 3 largest cities Bogota (8 million), Medellin (3 million) and Cali (2.5 million) are all in the Andes, then comes Barranquilla (2 million) and Cartagena (1 million) on the Caribbean coast.

A few facts you might not know.

1. Colombia has the highest coastal mountains in the world, meaning you can find pristine Caribbean beaches and snow capped mountains within a 40km radius (less than one end of Greater London to the other within the M25 ring road).

2. Colombia has the largest body of snow in northern South America.

3. Colombia administrates 1 tenth of the Caribbean Sea.

·
Registered
27,420 Posts
All these photos and info is very interesting. I didn't know Colombia is so big and diverse.

Please keep them coming.

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,073 Posts
My beautiful country. I love it. ^_^

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do we want to see next?

Caribbean beaches? Deserts? More Andes, maybe some coffee farms? or the luscious Amazon? I'm happy to take requests.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nabusimake, Cesar
Old Native American town, main seat of the Arhuaco Indigenous people. Based at the southern foothills of the highest coastal mountains in the world, the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta on Colombia's Caribbean coast.

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,073 Posts
Amazing pictures! keep them coming.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^

Thanks. I'm wondering whether there's an audience for this though as not many people have entered or posted.

I'm stuck on what to showcase next, need some feedback from the forum.

·
Oh Gloria Inaccesible
9,073 Posts
Maybe some of the Pacific rainforest (Choco)? Love the quality of the pictures you are posting..

·
I Love You, Myself.
5,150 Posts
^^

Thanks. I'm wondering whether there's an audience for this though as not many people have entered or posted.

I'm stuck on what to showcase next, need some feedback from the forum.
Don't worry whn it comes to colombians thread or any other south american country is always the same

This forum love N. America and europe so we get used to it

But hey! your pics are amazing! colombia is a very diverse country love it :cheers:

Keep posting! :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^

Really? I don't think that's the case and if it is maybe they can be nudged in the right direction. Take them out of the darkness of ignorance :cripes: :lol:

1 - 20 of 713 Posts