Skyscraper City Forum banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think the main point is that they may rename it after MR (if Tallbox's comment is accurate). Not sure why everything is named after him TBH.
They are naming the theater after MR too. Its a bit too much.
Oh i agree, naming things after Rajapakse is just ridiculous, seeing his mug shot everywhere is also something i can't stand –couldn’t help but snicker at Namal “complain” over all the attention his family is given in State media when you know who controls that.

I was amazed the Southern Expressway was not named after him (thank goodness for that). Even the Galle cricket stadium pavilion is named after him :eek:hno:

However Tallbox's problem is more about the "loss of history" because this area/road/whatever will no longer be known as "albert crescent". My heart bleeds over this "loss".

Then there is his intriguing comparison of Chinese "colonialism" with British barbarity (hope those two b's being together doesn't upset him again). A comparison which is just as ridiculous as everything being named after Mahinda.

I personally would love places to be named after our fallen soldiers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The actual building is a far cry from the render. This is a piece of cheap Chinese architecture with no relevance to the surroundings. It is not in harmony with the environment and the mal details on the fence and staircase look very cheap.
Like an UFO that has landed upside down.

Before the Chinese were given the project there was a design competition among the local architects. Wonder of anyone has images of any of those.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your overall argument is evidentiary of a typical post-colonialist small-island mentality blaming current ills on exaggerated revisionist history – oh but hey, as long as anti-colonialism is the current fashion and people talk themselves into believing that colonialism was entirely defined by rape and murder, then what’s one more white lie to gloss over the facts, right? I mean, no one’s going to believe any different, right? ‘Mental enslavement’ is a bit of irony for you to use; pot-kettle-black. You seem so eager to get one over the Europeans you’d turn in the history of your own country (oh, only those elements which have some faux Sanskrit connotation or a ‘Raja’ in) that you claim to feel so much affinity to. If you think I’m trying to do the same, then perhaps we’re not so different.

In any other scenario I’d be laughing at you when the day came that China demands Sri Lanka to make good on its debts (financial and otherwise) – but then the country will be lamenting your ilk for singularly driving us down this trap (not that you would realise the error of your ways, still muttering rambling about those ‘bloody Brits/Europeans’). So much for being a ‘nationalist’, Praetorian – you’re doing a good job.

Thankfully, there are enlightened people in Sri Lanka like Indrani Sugathadasa who recently resigned from the SEC to uphold the principles of sustainable growth (and a basic economic understanding of capital-debt ratios), who can see the way the tide is going with respect to short-termist practices – people who see development but also think ‘at what cost?’. For the more enlightened forumers, being a patriot I am pleased to see Sri Lanka reap the benefits of development; but my main interest is that development comes sustainably, not through intellectual laziness or cheap gimmicks. Sustainable development requires self introspection, from the understanding of history (the bad and the good, the indigenous and the imposed) – otherwise we’re just cementing a road down the path of vacuous development, we’ll be nothing more than another tourist strip of cheap bars, hotel resorts and neon lights straddling the Indian Ocean.
Totally agree.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
The actual building is a far cry from the render. This is a piece of cheap Chinese architecture with no relevance to the surroundings. It is not in harmony with the environment and the mal details on the fence and staircase look very cheap.
Like an UFO that has landed upside down.

Before the Chinese were given the project there was a design competition among the local architects. Wonder of anyone has images of any of those.
I think it looks great. The vast majority of buildings in Colombo are "not in harmony with the environment" in my opinion. This does not appear to be one of them. Basically, Colombo (and the country) is better off having this, rather than not having it. People who do not appreciate it are, of course, free to boycott/stay away from the building :)

On a side note, since the commencement of the Sri Lankan subforum we have had a general agreement not to drag in politics into this forum, so I really don't see why you need to bring in politics into this thread.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Anybody can you please tell me how to insert a image to this site??
if nobody replies, here goes..

Upload your picture to a image hosting site like uploadhouse.com or imageshack.us, and then once uploaded there, they give the "LINK" to embed

IN this forum, when you create a post, above the area where you type the content you will see the options to change font, font size .. the next row you have a link to insert 'image' mouseover and see ..

Click that, and it will ask for the URL for the image.

Paste the location of the image, and then preview to make sure the image shows up and then you are done .. click submit.

Voila. .. that's it, and easy peasy ..

·
Banned
431 Posts
Then there is his intriguing comparison of Chinese "colonialism" with British barbarity (hope those two b's being together doesn't upset him again). A comparison which is just as ridiculous as everything being named after Mahinda.
Not wade in and say who is better than who, but "BEWARE A CHINAMAN BEARING GIFTS" says all and everybody who have done business in China, with Chinese and all things Chinese.

I know a dozen and more people who's business was swallowed totally - and were given two choices - face death for fraud or .. handover everyting and walk away .. well, in China, the penalty for commercial crime too is death

And it is like the appropriation bill, but China doesn't need a bill -the country is so that the state can take anything and everything

I am not here supporting the British and colonies, but, just vary of the amount of Chinese 'donations' and 'low interest loans'

Note that the RMB is artificially maintained. If China decides to play the RMB, a 100 million $ loan will turn out to be a 400 million $ repayment.

Is that abnormal ? Well, in HK I saw loans, with monthly interest rates of 30% .. and it is fully legal. And with the gambling mentality of Chinese, a 30% interest loan is pretty normal .. and you would never believe to what extents the lenders go, to recover the loan.

Well, if you are objective in my thoughts, read them. If not and you want to throw things at me .. sorry in advance .. but things are not bright with the amount of debt being loaded on and on ..

·
Banned
431 Posts
Thanks ecureilx,thank you very much.
And anytime you see a picture posted, you can right click on the picture, and in Firefox, choose "View Image Info" to see who is hosting the picture and in IE, choose "PROPERTIES" and you will see the same info.

Sometimes you can see that the picture is hosted in Dailynews/Dailymirror .. etc. but, when DN/DM removes the picture, the link here will show blank .. the good thing is you can avoid copyright issues, if you don't copy and host but direclty link though some sites, again, will not allow direct linking and may throw errors.

Another choice for hosting is flickr ..

So, once you posted the picture, it is good to use another browser or another computer and check if the image does show up

Cheers

61 - 80 of 100 Posts