SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2,001 - 2,020 of 2,063 Posts
Nice views! There is so much potential here. Our island can be a fantastic tourist destination also. Glad to see Ceylon's garden city perhaps making a comeback!

As for the view of the town above, I wish those three wheelers were not on the roads. Hope we can do some type of Gardens by the Bay/Eden project somewhere in Colombo and green it up more.

Very unlikely that would happen. The three wheelers do not follow any road rules. Just drive the way they want in order to get to their destination. If we hit them, the damage is more for us.
See the picture above with the pool view - that's a great view of Colombo. It can be a green garden city with glass skyscrapers and local charm and heritage buildings.

The road/street would look more like a Hong Kong if those three wheelers were replaced with the old Colombo trams that were there in the 1960s.

Why can't we just ban three wheelers? Are they even safe? Surely it's a case of regulation that all vehicles have to be of a certain standard. And go all electric by say 2040?

Replace the three wheelers with tourist horse drawn/cycle drawn rickshaws if you really want something like that. But the three wheelers as a main vehicle looks like an eye sore and yes as you said, you can't have three in one lane for goodness sake.

Great view of Colombo. If only we had rapid development. Everything is moving so slowly for the last 15 years.

We really need rapid development. The LRT has to be completed within 3 yrs. Other lines have to be completed earlier as well or while the first line is in progress. The Minister in charge is a visionary but extremely slow in implementing. He needs alot of support. Major strain is funding.

Hope we could get him to read these comments.

We really need rapid development. The LRT has to be completed within 3 yrs. Other lines have to be completed earlier as well or while the first line is in progress. The Minister in charge is a visionary but extremely slow in implementing. He needs alot of support. Major strain is funding.

Hope we could get him to read these comments.
Indeed. If we just had visionary honest competent people in all spheres, rapid development would be achieved. I don't know about any of the people from the last 15 years being visionary - seems to me like the LRT would have been built by now if they were. A visionary won't tolerate bureaucracy and slow implementation, dodgy deals etc. Nor import outdated Indian trains etc. The pictures above of the skyline and greenery look beautiful. But the train in it should be a futuristic electric train, not the old lorry style carriage.

The LRT hopefully will show people what we can have, and more of that (be it subway, or overground metro) hopefully will be installed with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, European investment.

There is too much red tape and feasibility studies where it's an open and shut case on what is needed, and far too little regulation on proper standards of transport, buildings etc.

Rule of law, futuristic technology and fast implementation to catch up and be in the top ranked in the world is needed. Colombo was what Singapore wanted to be. It not only caught up, but overtook us massively. We should aspire to do the same, but we just amble along with backward people in charge of the direction we head and transport we install (at great cost). Bring on the LRT yes yes yes.

I must say the view of the skyline is shaping up. With the Port City I think this will really take shape. I hope they expand the Port City to make it 20 times bigger frankly. You are beginning to see some greening of Colombo and modern day skyscrapers. I only wish that this would happen quicker. With some people with some "go" in them, we could transform at a rate probably five to ten times faster than this. We've been ambling along for the last 15 years.

ObiWanKenobi, Please don't bring your long posts to this thread, this is a photo thread. Also, there is no rule that every thread to be filled or every post to be commented on. Just for your information.
I would say ObiWanKenobi is making a lot of sense and it is always refreshing to see different perspectives. There is no point in having just a photo thread without any comments/views from the people.

I would say ObiWanKenobi is making a lot of sense and it is always refreshing to see different perspectives. There is no point in having just a photo thread without any comments/views from the people.
Whilst I agree that it's nice to have discussion, this thread is meant only for photos.

It's best to take a copy of the picture and provide commentary on the Colombo Megalopolis thread.

Otherwise this thread will just end up becoming the same as the one under the Infrastructure, Transportation & Economy.

Over 100 Australian Defence Force personnel who are in Sri Lanka for the Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2019, (Australia and Sri Lanka’s biggest ever defence activity) joined the Sri Lankan Alumni who studied in Australia and members of the local community, including fishermen on Sunday to clean-up the Mount Lavinia Beach. This was organised by the Australian High Commission.

2,001 - 2,020 of 2,063 Posts