SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figured since i was moving back to Columbia in a couple of weeks, i'd take a look back.

here's 3 years worth (2003-2006) of pics, from towards the end when i lived there to when i went back to visit.

i'll apologize in advance because the quality on some of these isn't the greatest, they were taken with my old digital. newer pics towards the bottom.

-

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Great pics. It's interesting to see how things have changed/are changing in the city contrasted with the older pics. For one, a mini-skyline is popping up around W-B stadium.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Neither Columbia, nor LSyd's photos disappoint :) Great work, and I am looking forward to some more Columbia photo threads. Maybe there is already something out there, but I would love to see photos of downtown broken down by districts. Maybe a map with the names, followed by photos ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice collection of photos. Enjoyed seeing them! Hope you enjoy living in Columbia again...okay, I'm just a little jealous! = : >

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
lysd, why are you moving to SC again? are you originally from there? good pics, btw. don't see enough of this town.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmancuso said:
lysd, why are you moving to SC again? are you originally from there? good pics, btw. don't see enough of this town.
i did undergrad there, and loved it...so much i'd consider it a defacto home, so i'm taking the bar there because if not there, where else? (although Austin/Texas is more appealing in the short term, and Atlanta is now more appealing in the shorter term, but i'd rather live in Columbia or Charleston than Atlanta or Texas, so that signed the deal.)

Raleigh-NC said:
Neither Columbia, nor LSyd's photos disappoint :) Great work, and I am looking forward to some more Columbia photo threads. Maybe there is already something out there, but I would love to see photos of downtown broken down by districts. Maybe a map with the names, followed by photos ;)
i'll be happy to do...city centre(better term that i think i picked up from the UK) from my experience is 4 main districts: downtown, the vista, USC, and historical homes, with Five Points, Olympia/Granby, Rosewood, Elmwood, West Columbia/Cayce(seperate municipalities right next to the main city) and the future districts of Canalside, "mental health facility," and greater USC making up the supplementary, and the new Forest Heights being the ancillary district. screwed up? it's SC's wierd annexation laws. and i'm not even considering the sprawlburbs proper. :)

ralex, i love that pic, too. reminds me of that ymtnd "CLOUDSONG!!!" if you know what i mean. and why i diss the poor CLT for its historical destruction (poor CLT, my karmic doom is probably to live there; there was a large fuss to integrate the historic facade into the new building, making for an uneven base ;) ) plus a few of the pics in this thread are from when i infiltrated the top of that building during the final stages of construction. :cheers:

-

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
Raleigh-NC said:
Ralex, I've got pictures divided up by neighborhood on my website (link below) and there is a map on one of the pages too. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to post those again on here.

LSyd, your pictures are incredible!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
@waccamatt: ralex and Raleigh-NC are two different people :lol: Probably a typo ;) By the way, you have done an outstanding job; I need to place a link to your page in my RaleighMSA.com site. I keep going back and forth between your site and typing up this message. Also, I loved this photo:

Can't describe how anxious I am to get down there and see the city with my own eyes. Maybe LSyd will help to boost Columbia's image even more... not that you need it. Columbia seems to be a gem and needs no further introduction.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks y'all.

Capstone...i need to get up there with my camera. thanks for putting that pic up Raleigh...notice that there's no Meridian in the pic.

-

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
Raleigh-NC said:
@waccamatt: ralex and Raleigh-NC are two different people :lol: Probably a typo ;) By the way, you have done an outstanding job; I need to place a link to your page in my RaleighMSA.com site. I keep going back and forth between your site and typing up this message. Also, I loved this photo:

Can't describe how anxious I am to get down there and see the city with my own eyes. Maybe LSyd will help to boost Columbia's image even more... not that you need it. Columbia seems to be a gem and needs no further introduction.
Sorry, Raleigh, I meant Raleigh, but I saw the penguin next to Ralex' name and typed Ralex. My apologies. BTW, that picture was taken from a revolving restaurant at the top of Capstone House. It isn't the best restaurant in the world, but the panoramic views are breathtaking.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
^^
No need to feel sorry. It was a comic relief more than anything else. Raleigh-NC + Tux = Ralex :lol: Long live Linux!!!!!!!!

BTW, I added a link to your page under my website's Urban Interest section of the Links. My visitors will have the golden opportunity to enjoy images from your city :)

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i haven't had much time to take pics since i've been back, but here's one from my apartment of a surreal sunset.

-

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Great photos of Columbia. I rarely get to make it over there anymore, even though it's so close. Truly an impressive city.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I go to Columbia every few weeks. Considering it's not much larger in population (maybe 100,000 more, if that) than Augusta, it's surprising how much more of an urban feel Columbia has.

Yes, it's the capital, so I'm sure that is part of it. But then Montpelier, VT, and Jefferson City, MO, are capitals, and they aren't exactly metropolises.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts