Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
They just put down new turf for our first season in the SEC, along with some renderings of renovations that will be complete by 2015.

Renovations:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some pictures from the 1st game of the season vs Southeastern Louisiana.... Georgia comes to town next week!! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Something about this stadium just looks like it is smaller than it actually is. I just doesn't feel like it holds 71,000. Maybe it's because it's just being compared to all the other SEC stadiums and ranks in the bottom third in size in the league and doesn't have the upper decks so many stadiums have now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would agree with that, and also it doesn't really rise above the ground like Tiger Stadium, Bryant Denny etc.

Also it isn't very steep I don't think. But the sidelines actually have like 73 rows!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would agree with that, and also it doesn't really rise above the ground like Tiger Stadium, Bryant Denny etc.

Also it isn't very steep I don't think. But the sidelines actually have like 73 rows!
I would not have pegged that at having 70+ rows. When you mention that, 70k does seem about right.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
70 rows in one deck is a large amount though (excluding some college stadiums)

I think Notre Dame Stadium has 60-something rows

Stadiums like Sanford and Williams Brice Stadium have 60-something and 50-something in their lower deck but they both have upper decks too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
:banana:

70+ rows isn't that much. Doesn't the L.A. Coliseum have over 85? Many, if not most multi-decked NFL and MLB stadia have 75+ rows.
The LA Coliseum goes up to row 93, but I think it's even more than that because when they took out the track, I don't think they renumbered. I think the (new) rows closest to the field are letters or some such thing. Can anyone confirm?

BTW. The Rose Bowl has 77 rows on the sidelines. I think more than that in the end zones.

·
12,487 Posts
I really like how this has turned out, particularly with the band of black seats. I think it's a stylish and effective addition without trying to be too much. The exterior is a bit dry but I appreciate that they didn't try to force some neo-classical façade onto the stadium. This one is unique.

Now I wish they could extend the box-suite structure on the opposing sideline the full length of the stands, so as to provide a better balance with this addition.

·
20,540 Posts

Missouri curators unanimously approve $98 million Memorial Stadium football project

Plans to build a new team locker room, training facility, weight room, coaches’ offices, meeting rooms, recruiting reception area, dining facility, and equipment storage officially are moving forward.

Mizzou plans to break ground on the project — which includes 16 new suites and a field-level club that seats 1,500 fans along with 1,300 general admission seats and some standing-room only sections to replace the 10,800 general admission seats that are disappearing — after the 2017 football season.

Despite an 8 percent reduction in Memorial Stadium’s capacity, from 71,004 to roughly 65,000, school officials project a net revenue increase from the new premium options for attendance.

It is expected to open in time for the 2019 season.
www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article169330122.html

·
12,487 Posts
Sorry, but that's not appealing. I understand the economics of the decision but the resulting form is completely out of harmony with the stadium. Even if collegiate venues must now mirror their NFL cousins with all these specialty sections and party zones there surely must be a way to do this without sacrificing too much of the simple purity that made these places great settings for the games. Alas, it's as I've so often said: The business of college football is ruining college football.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts