Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Northern/midwestern cities continues thier urban decline..Columbus and Indianapolis continues to hold thier own.These are also the only cities I for the most part dont hear bad things about.So what about it

Can you say the New North? :cheers:

·
Registered
136 Posts
While Northern/midwestern cities continues thier urban decline..Columbus and Indianapolis continues to hold thier own.These are also the only cities I for the most part dont hear bad things about.So what about it

OMM....There is actually urban gentrification in cities like milwaukee, st louis, chicago, ect... so there are more than just the 2 cities listed out of urban decline. Im just a little cautious about answering this question.

·
6,479 Posts
If you believe the Census estimates (and I take them with a huge grain of salt), physically large Indy looks as if it's slowing down considerably adding only a little over 3,600 since 2000, or a little less than a .5% increase. Though, it's posted a healthy metro gain of 9% since 2000, but it looks like it may be slowing down a bit from last decade. I wouldn't say that any of the cities of the region are even close to completely immune from the economic downturn of the region.

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
Metro numbers are more important than city numbers.

There are a number of other midwestern metros with strong growth: Madison, Des Moins, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and the Twin Cities off the top of my head. The thing they all have in common is that they never developed a lot of heavy industry in the late 19th/ early 20th century.

·
Banned
194 Posts

You're joking, right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Metro numbers are more important than city numbers.

There are a number of other midwestern metros with strong growth: Madison, Des Moins, Sioux Falls, Fargo, and the Twin Cities off the top of my head. The thing they all have in common is that they never developed a lot of heavy industry in the late 19th/ early 20th century.
I'd say metro numbers are very misleading. Each city has a different relationship with its suburbs.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
There are four Midwestern million-plus metro areas that are growing at a decent if unspectacular clip: Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, and Minneapolis. All of these are growing faster than the national average.

A few other metros are holding their own, with below average growth, such as Cincinnati and Louisville.

Then there is a tranche of those in active decline like Detroit and Cleveland.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
OMM....There is actually urban gentrification in cities like milwaukee, st louis, chicago, ect... so there are more than just the 2 cities listed out of urban decline. Im just a little cautious about answering this question.
Sorry, Jay, you're wrong. Most Chicagoans have packed up and moved to Indianapolis or Columbus. The remainder of us are just waitng for our new homes to be ready. Life for us has been better there, but to tell you the truth the games between the Indianapolis White Sox and the Columbus Cubs just aren't as much fun as the good old days.

As for Milwaukee, you know it is close by to us. I drove through there a couple days. It's gone. They tore the whole thing up except for the Marquette interchange which incredibly is going ahead with its millions and millions of dollars of intecrate, big dig style road construction although there isn't a car in sight. go figure.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
the decline in the middle west is most severe and tragic in Minneapolis and St. Paul. They have fallen to 2nd and 3rd place in size among the Tri Cities, well behind Bloomingdale's robust 90,000 or so citizens.

Of course, pity poor Detroit. They have turned their tallest building into a flea market where you can lease old records and tapes for a couple of days for mere pennies. They call the place Rent-A-Sound Center.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Could someone tell me where I can find the "Fresno & Bakersfield: The New California....Eat your heart out Frisco & LA" thread?????????

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
It's a sad day in mid-America when i can walk into St. Louis's famed, iconic Gateway Arch and the first thing they say to me is "You can super size it for $1.50 more"

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
I hear the fundamentalist bible belters, the holy rollers, the Jesus freaks, the ghost of Jerry Fallwell are headed for Cleveland for their annual "Burn the Witches" festival in the Cuyahoga River. Later they'll feed their remains to the fishes. They call that delicacy the misSTEAK by the lake

(Would sombody...anybody...please stop me already!!)

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
apparently nothing worked. oh, well.

WATCH OUT INDY AND COLUMBUS: Don't look behind. Toledo and Duluth are nipping on your tails.

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
I'd say metro numbers are very misleading. Each city has a different relationship with its suburbs.
City numbers are misleading as well, Indianapolis is the poster child for this. If Minneapolis merged with Hennepin County it would have phenomenal growth.

·
Banned
194 Posts
City numbers are misleading as well, Indianapolis is the poster child for this. If Minneapolis merged with Hennepin County it would have phenomenal growth.
If Minneapolis merged with Hennepin County, it would be the tenth largest city in the United States with a population of 1,116,200. For comparison, the entire expanse of Hennepin County is the same size as the city of Houston (603 square miles).

I can't even imagine Minneapolis being that enormously immense in area.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.