College
7x Champion:
1942, 1954, 1957, 1961, 1968,
1970, 2002

opened 1922

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
It does when you're there in the middle of 105,000 people.
Certainly the most impressive stadium I have been to.

·
39,303 Posts
Ohio Stadium really stands out from the crowd. It may not be the most expensive or most modern, but I consider it one of the best stadiums on the continent.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
One of those pics had grass. Is it currently grass or is that an old pic?
It currently has turf. It had grass, but the field was constantly falling apart and they decided it would be cheaper to put turf in than to resod multiple times each year.

·
No Fat Chicks
858 Posts
can those first few rows be removed so the track can be used if ever needed?

·
Unregistered User
2,594 Posts
i guess...considering there used to be a track. but i dont know how well it would work since they lowered the field

·
12,509 Posts
I've always felt it was imposing, impressive and convoluted at the same time. I can't help but think how frustrating it must be to have a seat behind a column or be at the far end of the lower bowl on the "open" end, needing to turn so far to get a decent view. So while it must be rewarded for the architectural character of the exterior I'm confident the other 100k venues provide better overall sightlines and/or comforts.

Also, I wonder if OSU now regrets the form given to their addition at the end of the horseshoe? VT must be looking at Indiana's addition and regretting their choice as something that limits future expansion and disrupts the harmony of the overall form. In this case OSU would be hard pressed to add on here if they renovate and reduce seating in other parts of the stadium. That might of divested them of the "Old Horseshoe" namesake but arguably it could've yielded a better product.

·
39,303 Posts
Never noticed the columns before. What year was the end zone seating built?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've always felt it was imposing, impressive and convoluted at the same time. I can't help but think how frustrating it must be to have a seat behind a column or be at the far end of the lower bowl on the "open" end, needing to turn so far to get a decent view. So while it must be rewarded for the architectural character of the exterior I'm confident the other 100k venues provide better overall sightlines and/or comforts.

Also, I wonder if OSU now regrets the form given to their addition at the end of the horseshoe? VT must be looking at Indiana's addition and regretting their choice as something that limits future expansion and disrupts the harmony of the overall form. In this case OSU would be hard pressed to add on here if they renovate and reduce seating in other parts of the stadium. That might of divested them of the "Old Horseshoe" namesake but arguably it could've yielded a better product.
Well,I like it,as I said,it's a bit like a space ship:)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Beautiful stadium.
I really like this roman "circo massimo" stile.
And it's oval!
Great!!

BTW how the seating capacity is counted with the benches?

·
Registered
27,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think was 1.2-1.3
So as an allseater it would be 81,000
Ofcourse very bluntly calc. :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah especially considering the 2,500 club seats, suites, press have substantially more space per seat and the formerely open end is more spacious as well.

·
Registered
9,545 Posts
No, because the field has been lowered by 15 feet and the permanent seating that has replaced the temporary bleachers in the south end zone may hinder the track if the field was raised back to its original position.

·
Hoj!
365 Posts
Any photos of it?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts