Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any forumers care to give me a tour? I have only been to Detroit once, and no offense, but it seemed a little rough compared to Louisville, where I am from. I thought there was a lot of potential there though.

Never been to Toledo, is it even worth stopping on 75 to go there? Come on, Toledo backers, at least tell me the cool hoods to visit, and give me approximate intersections. Same thing goes for Detroit. Maybe give some intersections in the CITY where I can see some urban but not too ghetto hoods.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Awe man. When exactly are you going to be in Detroit?

I would love to meet up with you and have lunch or something...even though I don't really know you. :)

Unfortunately, I have a final exam to take from 9:00 am to around 1:00 pm, and then I am heading out to the airport to visit with a high school friend I haven't seen in an oober long time.

But I will be available after 5:30 pm. Will you be in Detroit on Sunday at all?

I would love to show you around. If it doesn't work out, check out:

Campus Martius...the new center of the city. I don't have to describe where it is because if you're walking around, there's absolutely no way you can miss it.

Greektown...a few blocks inland from the Renaissance Center down Beaubien Street @ Monroe.

Speaking of Ren Cen...go there. GM built a new riverfront prominade.

Go inside the Guardian Building (Griswold Street @ Congress)

If you have a car w/ you, try a drive out to Belle Isle. Take Jefferson east out of downtown about 2 miles. Turn right at Grand Blvd and the bridge will take you over to the island. Great views of skyline here.

Also, try the Fisher Building in New Center. The Pure Detroit store is there if you want to buy a Detroit suvineer.

Any place that you go in greater downtown is safe. It's just like any large city, so just make the proper precautions (lock your car doors) and you'll be fine. Don't get too freaked out if you go down a side street...aside from a possible bum, they're harmless.

Let me know what you're plans are...I'd like to show you the real Detroit if I can. :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
If you haven't seen the standard neighborhoods, I suggest you do so.

This site lists some of the more famous neighborhoods in the city. There's also a companion site for the Greater Downtown area.

I have to work on Saturday, otherwise I would show you around.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure for you, have a good time! I've never been in the inner city of Toledo before, although I have passed by it before.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welll, no offense, but downtown Detroit looks like a bomb hit. With what seemed like half the roads closed, it was a nightmare to navigate. There was so many potholes and downright 2 foot drops in THE MIDDLE of ROADS that an ATV would have helped. BUT OH, what AWESOME art deco towers. Too bad they all are run down and surrounded by HOARDES of cracked out looking homeless guys. Did notice a couple nice loft conversions, and seems like they are trying BUT...they have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go. Stopped in New Center and was unimpressed, although that Fisher bldg may be my favorite non downtown building in any city. I was there on a Sat and everything was closed, there was hardly any traffic, and it seemed like I was the only white guy around (which I dont mind). I wouldnt exactly call New Center a yuppie or trendy enclave just yet, although you can tell it is slowly gentrifying. Looked like some well kept victorians close to fisher, then a half mile up grand, and you get more ghetto looking stuff than ANYWHERE ive seen in chicago. Oh, and dont venture west of 75, honestly .5 mi from downtown. The scariest run down buildings and crack addicts ive ever seen. The only store in site was a single package liquor shop on cass st.

If i lived in detroit, id love to do something to save it, but it seems downtown detroit is actually in pontiac....or perhaps windsor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You complain about the potholes. Then you complain about the roads being closed off (so those potholes can be fixed)...:dunno:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have a feeling he went in looking for the worst.

I'm guessing you didn't check out Corktown, Greektown, Mexicantown, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Woodbridge, Vernor-Springwells, Boston-Edison, North Livernois, Arden Park, Virginia Park, Hamtramck, etc., etc.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hudkina said:
I have a feeling he went in looking for the worst.

I'm guessing you didn't check out Corktown, Greektown, Mexicantown, Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Woodbridge, Vernor-Springwells, Boston-Edison, North Livernois, Arden Park, Virginia Park, Hamtramck, etc., etc.

To me, I dont see how greektown is a neighborhood since it is downtown, but I must say that those 2 blocks are the only viable parts of downtown along with the Ren. center and that new compuware/hard rock cafe bldg. Greektown is cool, but is it "big city" downtown looking? NO!!! It looks like the commercial district of an etnic neighborhood a few miles from downtown. With detroit's greektown, it seems to be RIGHT in the CBD, and enveloped with run down, urban decay at that. A similar district exists just west of downtown chicago. Once again, I am not sure of the names of all the hoods, but I drove around QUITE ALOT. I ran into an area with a lot of mexicans, but it just seemed so run down. And the area west of 75 was so scary, i felt like I was going to get carjacked. I never felt this even in Garfield park in Chicago. Detroit had this eerie, abandoned feeling, but that is just my two cents. I couldnt believe the magnificent architecture in the New Center, only to be surrounded by bums, slums, and disgusting decay.

I didnt run into it, but is there a hood that even remotely resembles, say, Clark St. in Chicago? Or somewhat like Lincon Park on a smaller scale? Even my hometown of Louisville has a street called bardstown road in the Highlands district that is full of urban culture, independent indie shops, upscale eats, clothing stores, and coffee for about 3 miles. Where was this in detroit????

·
Registered
44 Posts
gych said:
To me, I dont see how greektown is a neighborhood since it is downtown, but I must say that those 2 blocks are the only viable parts of downtown along with the Ren. center and that new compuware/hard rock cafe bldg. Greektown is cool, but is it "big city" downtown looking? NO!!! It looks like the commercial district of an etnic neighborhood a few miles from downtown. With detroit's greektown, it seems to be RIGHT in the CBD, and enveloped with run down, urban decay at that. A similar district exists just west of downtown chicago. Once again, I am not sure of the names of all the hoods, but I drove around QUITE ALOT. I ran into an area with a lot of mexicans, but it just seemed so run down. And the area west of 75 was so scary, i felt like I was going to get carjacked. I never felt this even in Garfield park in Chicago. Detroit had this eerie, abandoned feeling, but that is just my two cents. I couldnt believe the magnificent architecture in the New Center, only to be surrounded by bums, slums, and disgusting decay.

I didnt run into it, but is there a hood that even remotely resembles, say, Clark St. in Chicago? Or somewhat like Lincon Park on a smaller scale? Even my hometown of Louisville has a street called bardstown road in the Highlands district that is full of urban culture, independent indie shops, upscale eats, clothing stores, and coffee for about 3 miles. Where was this in detroit????
Felt like you were gonna get carjacked huh..did y...nevermind.
You found exactly what you went looking for in Detroit..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gych, did you ever think that the roads are so screwed up because they're redoing them right now? They have been doing underground water and sewer line work as well as surface reconstruction on much of the CBD for some time. It's part of the Lower Woodward Improvement Program. I also hardly believe that you were able to make it through SW Detroit and have "an eerie, run down feeling" about it. Mexicantown and much of SW Detroit is bustling with activity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Damn! I'm glad that he didn't bless Saint Louis with a visit with such an open mind. :|

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
If you're looking for a 3-mile strip of nice, urban shops, restuarants, etc. there's Vernor Hwy in the Vernor-Springwells neighborhood. It stretches about 3 miles from I-75 to Dix Ave. in Detroit's hispanic Southwest Side. The hispanic immigrants that are moving into that area have completely revitalized that whole strip. You'll find dozens of authentic mexican restaurants, grocery stores, clothing stores, and more. There's also the Avenue of Fashion on the northern side of Livernois. It runs about a mile through some of Detroit's most exclusive neighborhoods with many stores that cater to local african american residents. Eastern Market is a nice urban market that was probably hopping with business when you visited. It's the largest farmer's market in the nation.

There's also Jos. Campau that runs through the heart of Hamtramck. You'll find lots of shops that cater to the large Polish, Arab, and Bangladeshi populations in that area.

And in the suburbs there is the 9-Mile/Woodward corridor through Ferndale, Main St. in Royal Oak, Biddle Ave. in Wyandotte, Michigan Ave. in Dearborn's two commercial districts, Old Woodward in Birmingham, Kercheval and Mack through the Grosse Pointes and so on.

·
Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^ Now someone is filling me in. My assumptions and statements are based solely on New Center and Downtown. Honestly detroit has potential, but for functional living RIGHT NOW, youd have to rate detroit as the worst downtown in America.

What they let happen to the downtown sickens me. Can you imagine driving down Cass street or Jefferson Blvd in the 1920's? What a grand city it must have been. But alas, no more. Its a shame, I hope you guys make a come back. I did notice some scaffolding up on some blds, hopefully they are going to actually restore them and not let them sit vacant.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's too bad you didn't have someone who knows what they are talking about to explain what's going on in the city...I think this is why you left with such a negative association.

We had the Superbowl committee in town that week before and they only had all good things to say, reason being they had guides showing them around.

It's too bad you never replied to my offer.

Saturday was dead outside. That was probably the worst weekend we've had all year so far. I'm sorry you didn't get the real version of Detroit. Maybe next time. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Detroit to me is like a book, you have to read it to get the whole story not just flip through it. I really think you need a whole week or maybe a little less to experience the bulk of what the region has to offer ... it can be pretty cool. I really think the good things in Detroit can outweigh the social stereotype (that there is some truth to in areas).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts