Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for last minute recommendations. I'll be in Scotland for 9 days. We're renting a car for 5 days to traverse the country. I've never been to Scotland. We are still wide open as to what we will do. Definitely going to be doing Glasgow and Edinburgh intensely. And we are going to trip up to Lochness. Any recommendations where we should drive to in the countryside? Thanks in advance..we are looking forward to our trip. Also, does anyone know where we can download a roadmap of Scotland on the web?

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
If you're heading up to Loch Ness anyway, I'd head West to Ullapool if I were you. You can stay there overnight, maybe at The Ceilidh Place, and see some of the white beaches up there like Achiltibuie, a few miles to the north..

If you're driving up to Loch Ness anyway, you'll be catching a lot of the countryside in the process. My advice would be to head up and down on different routes to maximise what you see. Use the Loch Lomond road to go in one direction, and come back via Perth, for example.
I can post up the various road numbers if that sort of thing sounds appealing..

Try and see as much of the West Coast as you can in the process.

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
Don't mean to be rude, but didn't you ask in another thread already, a few weeks back? if I remember correctly, we threw loads of suggestions at you then.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
While you're here in Glasgow, get thine ass to the West End festival running from June the 8th. Click here Its light years away from mardi gras in New Orleans and is even a very poor imitation of the world famous Edinburgh Festival Fringe but the parade is good fun and there are some interesting gigs and events that you should probably go see.

As an alternative to a trip to Ullapool, I would suggest visiting Torridon, which is a beautiful, wild region in the Western Highlands with high mountains and spectacular sea lochs. There's a little village called Applecross which is one of my favourite spots in the world. As well as being very very pretty place, Applecross is home to the Applecross Inn which does some of the best seafood I've ever eaten at incredibly low (for Scotland at least) prices.

If you have time I might even suggest going on the ferry to one of the Islands - book at www.calmac.co.uk. Opinion differs about which Island is most spectacular but most people would agree that Mull and Skye (which you can now get to via a bridge) are amongst the best for scenery. Others on here will advocate for Islay for its rugged terrain, birdlife and whisky.

Have a nice trip. let us know what you get up to.

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
Torridon, Applecross, Plockton, ahh.

I like the road South to Oban too - Port Appin, Mallaig, etc. Good seafood in those places too.

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Queen's View ten minutes outside Glasgow's urban sprawl. Glencoe, Fort William, Skye, Torridon, Five Sisters of Kintail.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't mean to be rude, but didn't you ask in another thread already, a few weeks back? if I remember correctly, we threw loads of suggestions at you then.
I couldn't find it and yes that is rude...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
5,955 Posts
Thank you very much....I remember seeing it and have printed the thread.
No probs :)

Hope you have a good time over here - let us know how you got on - or even better - if you want to come onto this forum for some last minute questions or advice while you're over here in Scotland, feel free to pop in and ask us anything you like. :)

I'll try post a couple more suggestions on thursday after my last exam :)

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
the other guy said:
I couldn't find it and yes that is rude...
If you find that rude, I suggest you turn your rudeness-ometer down.

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
asdfg - I had considered making the same point, but feared what sort of reaction I would get.

I mean really, who's been the ruder person here? Anyway... bygones...

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
I even took the time to give him some suggestions in the other thread. And I still get called rude...

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is quite amusing. I have never seen someone being called rude after they have helped that person?

Sean I hope you have a good time but bring a thicker skin, the banter could be too much for you!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not worried...I'm just ready to get on the plane. Thanks all for the suggestions. We will have a great time while in Scotland and have made plenty of plans. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Scotland...we're having an excellent visit...have been to the Highlands, traversed Hwy A82 clear up to Lochness today (Fort William is sweet and quaint, as is Fort Augustus). Yesterday we did Edinbourgh from morning to sunset and it is clearly a gorgeous city. Have done some Glasgow, but, after tomorrow (when we will do as many castles as possible--Blackness for sure), the remainder of the days will be spent indulging Glasgow. Looking to do some good club dancing on Thursday in the city....

·
Use your words
4,857 Posts
What sort of clubs/music do you like?
Will see what's on on a Thurday that might be worth you heading to..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts