SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Indy the weekend of the 500. Of course I will be at the race on Sunday but I was wondering what my options were concerning nightlife and dining on Sat and Sun night. Where are some reasonably priced restaurants with good food in the downtown area? What bars/clubs are downtown where 21-30 year olds hang out? Preferably a good Pub to start out and then move on to a club or lounge later in the evening. I assume the best nightlife spot is downtown, but are there any other districts or neighborhoods that are worth going to for a good time? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Downtown nightlife is concentrated on South Meridian Street and that general area. Mass Ave (NE part of DT) has some gay clubs and bars. You may want to check out Broad Ripple, which is around 62nd and College. There's some clubs and restaurants on that part of town. One of the most popular pubs in Broad Ripple is called Union Jacks. It's probably not as good as what you'll find in St. Louis, but it's decent.

If you're looking to get completely trashed, just stay around the track (everyone gets drunk).

As for restaurants, there's a great Canjun place called Yats (also on Mass. Ave), it's incredibly cheap (around 5 dollars a meal) and the food is pretty filling.

I'm sure some other forumers can help you out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Arch-City said:
I will be in Indy the weekend of the 500. Of course I will be at the race on Sunday but I was wondering what my options were concerning nightlife and dining on Sat and Sun night. Where are some reasonably priced restaurants with good food in the downtown area? What bars/clubs are downtown where 21-30 year olds hang out? Preferably a good Pub to start out and then move on to a club or lounge later in the evening. I assume the best nightlife spot is downtown, but are there any other districts or neighborhoods that are worth going to for a good time? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I am copying a (slighly edited) post I sent to some acquaintainces who were going to be in Indianapolis for the Final Four weekend and wanted to know of restaurants and clubs/bars in downtown and the Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis. I no longer reside in Indianapolis, but all the information should be current.

I. Restaurants

A. Downtown

You might try the following restaurants: (1) The elegant American cuisine of Elements at 415 N. Alabama St. off of the interesting and trendy Massachusetts Avenue corridor, (2) The stylish Agio with its classy Italian and Mediterranean cuision 635 Massachusetts Ave., (3)The superb Mediterranean and traditional cuisine (steak, etc.) of the ultra-elegant Dunaways at 351 S. East Street, (4)the delicious and colorful Cuban-Carribean cuisine of the fun and funky Decadent by Design located just southeast of downtown in the Fountain Square neighborhood at 1043 Virgina Ave., (4) the very stylish 14 West serving delicious eclectic food at 14 W. Maryland., (5) the innovative small plate menu of the funky 6 Lounge served late into the night at 247 S. Meridian St.

B. Broad Ripple

You might try the following: (1) Ambrosia is an exceptional upscale Italian restaurant at 915 E. Westfield Blvd., (2) the Broad Ripple Seafood Shack serves good seafood with some nice outdoor dining options along the water at 832 E. Westfield Blvd., (3) The Midtown Grill serves very good contemporary American cuisine in an elegant but comfortably causal setting at 815 E. Westfield Blvd., (4) H20 Restaurant and Sushi is a very chic spot serving excellent sushi and Mediterranean-inspired cuisine.

II. Bars

A. Downtown

Downtown the bars and clubs are spread throughout, with a large concentration located along South Meridian street (just south of Monument Circle), and on or near Massachusetts Avenue. The Ice Lounge at 235 S. Meridian and the nearby 6 Lounge at 247 S. Meridian, Subterra Lounge at 250 S. Meridian, and Blu Lounge at 240 S. Meridian, all offer a chic, trendy and exotic nightclub experience with adjoining dining options. The Chatterbox at 435 Massachusetts Ave. offers one of the best venues for live jazz in the city. The venerable Slippery Noodle located at 372 S. Meridian St. is nationally known as a venue for live blues music and the oldest continually operated bar in the city (dating back to 1850). The Ugly Monkey is a raucous and crazy bar and dance club at 50 W. South St. next to Union Station (the imposing central train station downtown); the club is very popular with the wild and younger crowd looking to booze it up and dance all night. The Vault, now called Club Kameleon at 120 E Market Street (just off the Monument Circle) is a lively dance club, though perhaps not very edgy. The gay nightlife tends to cluster slightly northeast of downtown proper at such spots as Talbott Street Club at 2145 N Talbott Street, The Metro at 707 Massachusetts Ave, and Gregg's at 231 East 16th Street.

B. Broad Ripple

In Broad Ripple there are at least 80 bars and clubs all located on or just off Broad Ripple Avenue (the main street through the area)--many of the clubs are geared more to the college crowd (Butler University is nearby) and they may be a bit crowded and obnoxious, expecially during the Race weekend. Try the Red Room, a trendy but upscale lounge located on the second floor at 6335 Guilford Ave., or the classy Corner Wine Bar at 6331 Guilford Ave. (which also as a nice seafood, steak and pasta menu). Rouge nightclub at 6308 Guilford Ave. is a friendly and fun piano bar attracting a more mature crowd than nearby bars. The Alley Cat bar at 6267 Carrollton Ave, located off an alley is a bit more laid back and relaxed than many of the surrounding clubs. The Vogue at 6259 N. College Avenue is the biggest and flashiest dance club in Broad Ripple.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Dude, the place to be race weekend is at 1. May Day in Noblesville at the Verizon Wireless center to hit up the 6 bands performing there. Then 2. head dt to eat and fill your "munchies". Next, head to b-ripple for bars/clubs/etc. (I would think it is pretty full the night before the 500?.?.?.) Finally, 3. just head to GeorgeTown Road and party with the other 350,000+ drunk peeps running around! Thats what I will be doing anyways! lol. Boobs, Beer, Socializing, Music, and Bars, what could be greater? (nothing)

Have you ever been to the race? If not you are in for a real treat, well I have been for 11 years in a row and I find it to be a treat anyways, but what the **** do college students know :)

The 500 is at its greatest when you have friends OR make friends at the race, but going and partying is still the main point which most people are open to. I apologize for getting off subject a little but I would suggest the 1,2,3 plan that I will be following in 2 weeks and 4 days... Hope you have a good experience (I know you will).

·
2,916 Posts
Arch-City said:
Preferably a good Pub to start out...
If you mean pub in the Euro sense, I'd recommend Claddagh, 234 S Meridian St. Great pub admosphere and irish pub food. MacNiven's, 339 Mass Ave, is another good, Scottish-themed pub with a fantastic beer selection.

If you mean microbrew pubs, Indy has 3 in downtown: Rock Bottom, 10 W Washington St, The Ram, 140 S Illinois St, and Alcatraz, across the street from The Ram (Alcatraz's official address is the generic Circle Centre Mall address, so don't follow any addresses you see online).

Arch-City said:
...then move on to a club or lounge later in the evening.
Definitely south Meridian is where you want to be for clubs. Follow kangaroo1's advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts