Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About time.

Langtree to develop Edgbaston offices
Developer selected by Chambers of Commerce for 238,606 sq ft complex

Langtree Group has been selected as the preferred developer by the Chambers of Commerce for a 238,606 sq ft (22,167 sq m) office complex in the centre of Edgbaston, Birmingham.

The scheme will have 20,000 to 40,000 sq ft (1,860-3,720 sq m) prelet to the Chambers for its headquarters, while the remainder will be built speculatively.

The £80m scheme, called Commerce Point, will be built on the site of the Chambers' offices on the corner of Harborne Road and Highfield Road. Calthorpe Estates owns most of the land on the site.

It will consist of three buildings, including a 13-storey 168,855 sq ft (15,687 sq m) tower.

The scheme will also feature a 20,043 sq ft (1,862 sq m) building on Highfield Road and a 49,708 sq ft (4,618 sq m) building facing Harborne Road.

The joint venture agreement with Langtree is expected to be signed within the next two months. This will mean that work could begin on site in early 2007 and is expected to be completed in late 2009.

It will be the largest office scheme in Edgbaston and one of Birmingham's largest speculative office developments in more than two decades, marking a remarkable turnaround in the suburb, which for more than 10 years has been overshadowed by Brindleyplace.

Calthorpe Estates owns a £337m development pipeline in Edgbaston. It includes the 102,580 sq ft (9,530 sq m), £37m Calthorpe House, construction of which is scheduled to start on site in autumn for completion in 2008, although Calthorpe is still debating whether to build speculatively.

More than 60,000 sq ft (5,600 sq m) of offices will be built on the £100m Edgbaston Mill mixed-use development, due for completion in late 2008. This will be followed by 161,460 sq ft (15,000 sq m) within two office blocks on the £110m Edgbaston Galleries scheme due for 2010. Planning consent is expected within the next week.

A further 387,500 sq ft (36,000 sq m) is planned at the £90m University Science Park in Pebble Mill that should complete by 2012.

Edgbaston is beginning a spate of 1980s office refurbishments, including Capital & Counties' £13m refurbishment of 100,000 sq ft (9,290 sq m) of the 142,500 sq ft (13,190 sq m) office complex at 54 Hagley Road.

King Sturge is advising the Chambers of Commerce; GBR Property is advising Langtree.

·
Brummie & Proud
2,981 Posts
Edgbaston Mill is the Tally Ho site oposite the cricket ground and Edgbastion Galleries is the Edgbaston Shopping Centre site.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Well found!

Early 07 isn't that far away - so in 6 months time we could be seeing demolition of the current building?

And Donne & Nettleton Houses across the way are now vacant - any idea when these are going to be demolished?

·
15,713 Posts
well ok 07 isnt far away (a conversation we keep having lol) but it was meant o be imminant...oh well, atleast it will happen.....

ill see wat i can find reg calthorpe house

·
15,713 Posts
calthorpe house..

well all i can find is that a CPO was implimented by plannign committee in Aug 2005 and so explains why so empty on site..... and on the calthorpe site, it states that the builing is under offer so would assume a tennant is in talks with???

·
This is PWEI-zation!
1,183 Posts
It's an interesting video and makes a lot of it's location - this should cement Five Ways as a desirable place to work - that is if all the other proposals come about! Five Ways may become a high rise area to rival the city centre proper.

·
Simples
6,815 Posts
I think the Five Ways cluster is actually the best cluster of talls we have in Brum at the mo... but i don't see it going any taller given what's planned is not baove 18 stories (Edgabston Shopping centre) so i'd imagine it'd lose out in the long run.. probably to Broad st when AC is built.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I read a small article in Estates Gazette today in the WHSmiths library about Commerce Point and it looks like it's all off. The gist was that the Birmingham Chamber and Langtree the developers Liverpool based have fallen out.

Commerce Point is made up of three buildings linked by a central atrium. The developer wants to deliver the buildings separately and use their own pet architects. The chamber are saying that it won't be possible to deliver them separately as they share an entrance lobby. Understandably they also seem to want a local firm (Aedas) who are on their door step and have done alot of work already to design the scheme. Oh, and there are also concerns (I guess from Calthorpe Estates) that Commerce Point could effect the delivery and success of Calthorpe House and Edgbaston Galleries. So it's looking like it's off.

Personally I like the existing Madin building which the Chamber occupy and I'm not convinced that Commerce Point is a significantly better. besides, if they're desparate to move then why can't they can move next door?

·
15,713 Posts
.however, whilst on the subject, i odnt see why they dont just go for a 100% office scheme....

the mix of land uses around there would be great and give the area a true buzz with the proffessionals.... everything doesnt have to be mixed use so long as its surround by the uses it lacks... as would be the case ere!

·
15,713 Posts
I thought it was a great scheme and a nice addition to 5ways. however, i am shocked it got planning permission in its location and would be even more supprised if anything like it get plannign permission second time round!

·
Interested Party
325 Posts
Personally I like the existing Madin building which the Chamber occupy and I'm not convinced that Commerce Point is a significantly better. besides, if they're desparate to move then why can't they can move next door?
My view exactly, although Commerce Point seems a good development and this amount of grade A office space would be welcome there are so many other brownfield sites or empty buildings that could make way for it. The existing Commerce House is a good office building although it may need internal remodelling, and a good example from a period which didn't produce many good buildings.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Update on calthorpe house. They've flatened one of the buildings and the second one will be gone by the end of the week. They're picking up the pace here. I expect them to dig a very big hole given the site has something like 250 parking spaces..

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Thanks for that info Rich! I almost forgot about Calthorpe.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts