Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in another thread how the landlords of Skyline Central are now using some of their empty apartments as short term rental homes, i.e. AirBnb. But I feel that this conversation might deserve its own thread.

I naively assumed that AirBnb used mostly private homes that were occasionally listed when the owners vacated the property. But it seems many properties are only ever used for short-term lettings, and property companies are finding this more lucrative than traditional letting.

From some quick research I have seen that AirBnb limits properties in London being listed for more than 90 days. Similar restrictions are proposed for Edinburgh, although this doesn't prevent the property being listed on other sites. Does Manchester have any regulation regarding this?

What is to stop residential apartment block from becoming unregulated, de facto hotels? Would you feel like your apartment was your home if you had different neighbours every other night? What impact does this have on the rental market in Manchester?

Any thoughts?

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,327 Posts
If it's regularly rented on such short term let, I.e less than a 6month AST, it's technically a breach of planning regulations, really anything acting as a hotel or B&B (like this) needs a have permission for a different class of use (under planning) from a residential home and its up to the local authority to enforce this.

If it was me, I'd discretely gather evidence of the apartments 'misuse' find out who owned the apartments, check if it is counter to any leasehold agreement or planning permissions the apartment has then present the evidence to the appropriate persons.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's also most likely a breach of the long lease on the apartment in question. Certainly in my development it's expressly prohibited in the lease, and the management company have signage in the common areas reminding of the fact.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This absolutely happens in some developments because once Ramadan is over the Middle Eastern tourists arrive and they rent apartments for a few weeks at a time. Just watch as the Arabic number plate start streaming into the city centre. Obviously some stay in hotels but many rent apartments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.