SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here so please pardon me if this weird question has already been asked.
I'll try to be short: I love London and I often visit the place. Now I'm writing a short story based on an overheard chat between two guys on the Tube. As I remember quite fondly what they said, I'm not 100% sure where our train was heading to. It's not that important, but it is relevant for just one reason: the two guys were spotting old 70's/80's commieblocks from the train windows, so do any of you know what are the overground stretches of the Tube where you can most easily spot tower blocks from the train?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

·
T-Stays
991 Posts
I might be the only one, but i love it when you enter a city slowly in a train, and you start seeing the commie blocks, you feel like you're finally entering the city. I'm talking from experience in Italian trains like when entering Milan, but i think it's probably the same for London.

·
4-rum *****
139 Posts
and approaching Waterloo from Basingstoke, one of the goddamn most depressing sights in the country. Plus the approach to Paddington, although its getting slowly improved.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The Hamersmith and City Line between Paddington and Hammersmith is all above ground, loads of gitty urbanity with Westway, the Warwick Crescent Estate (the set of 5 or 6 tower blocks off Harrow Road, the king of all tower blocks, the Trellick tower can also be seen, as well as some blocks around Goldbourne Road. London Overground also has some good views between Hampstead Health and Caledonian Road & Barnsbury, also the stretch east of Dalston may have some good views although, I'm not very familar with stretch. The Train into Liverpool Street coming down through Hackney and Bethnal Green offers some fantastic views of the City, plenty of 'commie blocks' also.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Try posting in the British tower blocks thread, its under skylines and photography. There are few people that should know where they all are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts