Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Ethiopia wins this one...Non-Oil/Gaz, Mineral economy . so big.

Look at the power of agroculture,!. Thanks to the Roads, power plants that have and still being built.:cheers1:

·
I'll Fly Away/Blue skies.
18,812 Posts
Our inflation rate has fallen from over 10% two years ago to below 5% this year...The aim of the central bank is to have it below 3% by 2015 elections. This has been achieved by impressive food production growths and infrastructure improvement across the country.

Our GDP is still expanding by 7% annually...I expect after 2015 to be hitting the 8-9% growth.

·
18,812 Posts
Plus Tax revenues have been showing impressive growths.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Tanzania is in the category of Commodities . Same as Nigeria, Angola and DRC.

Ethiopia is solely Agroculture.

Big difference.

·
18,812 Posts
Do you know how much mining contributes towards our overall GDP?

GDP - composition, by sector of origin:

agriculture: 27.6%
industry: 25%
services: 47.4% (2013 est.)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

Your point doesnt hold water my friend.

Check out more Tanzania's economy stats here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

Services is the key to Tanzania's growth,this include telecommunications, real estate, tourism and others.

Not that there is anything wrong towards having mining as a key component of economic growth but in case of Tanzania, the mining act 2010 hasn't started providing overall fruition just yet

Tanzania is not DRC or Angola or Nigeria...we don't have oil and our decade long economic growth has never been based on minerals...many uninformed people presume that's the case.

The 2010 Mining Act will have more effects from 2015 onwards when the sector is expected to contribute 10-15% to GDP by 2020, then we shall really have an exploding economic growth..I expect it to be over 15% from 2018.

Remember, Tanzania's agriculture production has also been expanding annually at a steady rate of 5-6%.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
I'm not in denial on how mch money the mining brings in the coffers and how it boosts the number on the paper..

But, It's simple. agroculture employs masses, Mining not that many people.

The economy is not just about growth. You have to look at the details of that growth and the social economic impact it has on the overall economy.

The social economic impact in Ethiopia is far greater than that in Tanzania.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
South Africa is the only country that makes lots of money from mining , simply because they process them, which also means it employs a bit more people than the rest of us, even they dion't employ more people than agroculture.

Processing their minerals, easily attracts manufacturing investors , helps create local manufacturers, etc that is a massive impact on social economic reality in the country.

·
18,812 Posts
I'm not in denial on how mch money the mining brings in the coffers and how it boosts the number on the paper..

But, It's simple. agroculture employs masses, Mining not that many people.

The economy is not just about growth. You have to look at the details of that growth and the social economic impact it has on the overall economy.

The social economic impact in Ethiopia is far greater than that in Tanzania.
That is why I gave you statistics on Agricultural growth and the link to check other sectors...including industries which is also growing at 7% as stated by the CIA page.

Oh yes I know about social economic impact and trust me, the Tanzania of today is way different than Tanzania of a decade ago....we have had real growth not paper growth economy. I don't know much about Ethiopia social economic impact...but I know you are uninformed and lack knowledge of Tanzania economic growth as you evidenced by presuming we depend on mining for our growth.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Go Moz! :cheers: Most of our growth is not related to mineral commodities. That's a big SSC misconception but IDGADF...I actually CAN'T wait till we start pumping the damn gas.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
That is why I gave you statistics on Agricultural growth and the link to check other sectors...including industries which is also growing at 7% as stated by the CIA page.

Oh yes I know about social economic impact and trust me, the Tanzania of today is way different than Tanzania of a decade ago....we have had real growth not paper growth economy. I don't know much about Ethiopia social economic impact...but I know you are uninformed and lack knowledge of Tanzania economic growth as you evidenced by presuming we depend on mining for our growth.
You are right...Im clueless about Tanzania's state of economy. LOL

So, more than 80% of the economy depends on agroculture and 80% of workforce is employed by agroculture.
That then is same category as Ethiopia. That is good news!!!

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Go Moz! :cheers: Most of our growth is not related to mineral commodities. That's a big SSC misconception but IDGADF...I actually CAN'T wait till we start pumping the damn gas.
No, it's not a SSC fact. It's real life fact.....It's actually a SSC that Africa is rising when it isn't. sadly

South Africa is the only heavily diversified and largest formal economy on the continent, followed by North Africa.

When you have 6-8 ppeople out of 10 employed by sustence agroculture, imports almost all processed/manufactured goods, more than 80% informal economy etc... That is not anything to be happy about.

Africa or any will never rise if it doesn't industrialize.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
It's actually a SSC that Africa is rising when it isn't. sadly
What factual info are you basing that statement on when you don't even live here for decades. :lol: Really, I need to understand what you mean by "not rising"... do you mean it's in a state of inactivity and stagnation or that it's just not growing to its full potential yet. The latter is not news to anyone who understands a bit of economics. Unfortunately our governments have failed to focus on key areas to achieve more pro-poor growth like education, rural infrastructure, and agricultural development but that doesn't mean there are no concrete changes. Like Raindrops said, the Africa of today is different than what it was in 1998 for example.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Do you know how much mining contributes towards our overall GDP?

GDP - composition, by sector of origin:

agriculture: 27.6%
industry: 25%
services: 47.4% (2013 est.)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

Your point doesnt hold water my friend.

Check out more Tanzania's economy stats here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

Services is the key to Tanzania's growth,this include telecommunications, real estate, tourism and others.

Not that there is anything wrong towards having mining as a key component of economic growth but in case of Tanzania, the mining act 2010 hasn't started providing overall fruition just yet

Tanzania is not DRC or Angola or Nigeria...we don't have oil and our decade long economic growth has never been based on minerals...many uninformed people presume that's the case.

The 2010 Mining Act will have more effects from 2015 onwards when the sector is expected to contribute 10-15% to GDP by 2020, then we shall really have an exploding economic growth..I expect it to be over 15% from 2018.

Remember, Tanzania's agriculture production has also been expanding annually at a steady rate of 5-6%.
If that is true about the 5-6% agric growth then thats good news.

But remembee that industrial growth includes mining often, manufacturing is a subsector of industry so you need to look specifically at that.

·
Banned
11,651 Posts
No, it's not a SSC fact. It's real life fact.....It's actually a SSC that Africa is rising when it isn't. sadly

South Africa is the only heavily diversified and largest formal economy on the continent, followed by North Africa.

When you have 6-8 ppeople out of 10 employed by sustence agroculture, imports almost all processed/manufactured goods, more than 80% informal economy etc... That is not anything to be happy about.

Africa or any will never rise if it doesn't industrialize.
Do you have anything to support your position that SA is the most diversified 'formal' economy. And can you explain that word? And to the idea that africa isn't rising as you say. You're throwing around numbers with no support for them. You're speaking about SSA like a typical foreigner but lumping all the countries together

1 - 20 of 46 Posts