SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
T&G TOWNSVILLE

Backround info-

This tower will consist of a 16 level office tower. The facade of the tower will be predominately glass. The tower is Townsville's second "Green/Eco friendly" tower through the use of its shutters and architectural design, And will be Townsville first actual good looking glassy/classy looking tower ;). The tower is situated at the old T&G site.

----------------------------------------------

PRESTIGIOUS ... an artist's impression of the new Ecologically Sustainable Development standard building to constructed on the corner of Ogden, Stanley and Flinders streets

The new T&G

SELINA SHARRATT l 23Jan08 l Townsville Bulletin

THIS is the building that will soon rise out of the rubble. Just days after the former T&G building bit the dust, local property developer Laurence Lancini unveiled the vision for this prime parcel of real estate nestled in the heart of the CBD.

The 16 or 18-storey commercial building will span three street frontages on Ogden St, Flinders St West, with the main entrance on Stanley St.

It will include about 700sq m of retail space and between 11,000 and 13,000 sq m of commercial space.

It will also have the provision for 240 on-site car parks.

Mr Lancini said the architects, The Buchan Group, had designed the building to meet Ecologically Sustainable Development (ESD) standards.

"We are looking at doing a prestigious, A-grade office tower," Mr Lancini said.

"We are looking to have retail on the ground level, multiple levels of car parking and then between 10 to 12 levels of commercial space."

Mr Lancini said the building would be a first of its kind for Townsville.

"It will be the first building designed in Townsville that will meet all the current ESD requirements," Mr Lancini said.

"We are really focused on meeting all the ESD requirements, and building it to a five-star green rating.

"That will include the use of natural lighting and the correct energy uses."

Mr Lancini said the building was a `key' part in the CBD revitalisation.

He said every effort had been made to make the development aesthetically pleasing.

"I think if anyone says that this is an unattractive development than I don't know what more I can do.

" I think what we have designed is aesthetically pleasing," Mr Lancini said.

"From my point of view, we are very much focused on the revitalisation of the city centre."He said several tenants had already expressed interest in occupying the building.

"We are negotiating with several tenants at the moment but at this stage it is confidential," he said.

Once those negotiations are complete, Mr Lancini said he would submit the plans to Townsville City Council for approval.

It is expected the building will be completed by the middle of 2010.

Picture of the Site-

Renderings-

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW I do have more renderings of this tower but its on SSL in which I cannot access the website anymore, Apparently its a big problem and know one in central and northern Queensland can access the website? Weird. Anyway I thought it was sufficient to make this thread as it seems the tower is Approved and is likely to become under construction at the start of next year.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T & G Development, Townsville
-Commanding Townsville CBD Location
-Minimum 16 level Tower
-Combination of retail and commercial tenancies
-To be built to a Greenstar 5 Rating
-Delivery Date - approximately late 2010
-Available for Lease

·
Registered
56 Posts
looks more like a residential tower than an office tower....that grate/mesh type effect at the parking levels looks a bit nasty

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Looks tall, The car park spaces seems to be around 4-4.5m tall. Around 60-65m should be achievable I would imagine.

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
if office levels =4m which these days they do. the tower is 65m tall. not bad.

·
6,435 Posts
There is a PDF on the Lancini Group website (where Sean got that elevation and copied that information) http://www.lancinigroup.com.au/commercial/LanciniT&GDevelopmentBrochure.pdf

There is also a floorplan there, of the ground level and an office level, which is interesting because it shows a "residential lobby" on the ground floor - there are four lifts, two of which are for office levels and two for residential levels. So make of that what you will. Remember that 16 storeys is the "minimum" (according to Lancini), so maybe they're thinking of whack a few levels of apartments on top, or turning some of the office levels into apartments. And polk did comment that it looks more like a resi tower - particularly true for those upper levels.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks more like a residential tower than an office tower....that grate/mesh type effect at the parking levels looks a bit nasty
I actually like the mesh, only because it has abit of effect to it, if you can notice it in the renders. Iam very interested to see how they construct this thing along with Verde due to it having an apparent 5 star green rating.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make it taller, its just accross the road and down the street from the Sugar Shaker and Saville, so much density.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ergon's decision not to establish offices in the city, preferring Garbutt, could have an impact on planned developments like this one. They would have been a very attractive tenant.

·
6,435 Posts
^^Yeh, thats really dissapointed that Ergon has scrapped plans to move into the CBD. One of the reasons quoted was they couldn't get enough parking for staff. I'm sick of this small town mentality that every person must have the right to drive to work in their own car, without any passangers and park for free at the front door of their place of work. Its unsustainable, its irresponsible, its selfish and its lazy. Anyway, there was a quote in the article (page 26 of the Bully, Saturday 26/7) that said:

"It's dissapointing not just for the sake of my building project - a tenant of that size would have been great for the CBD," one developer said.
I'm assuming that developer was probably Laurence Lancini. This would have to threaten the viability of 420 Flinders and the other major office projects, but hopefully they can find other tenants.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think Lancini can go back on developing the site now, I mean with the Old T&G clock tower demolished people will be expecting this "Swanky" tower to be built. Oa and... Why the Title change, The Bully and Lancini's own website refers this as the new T&G Tower

·
6,435 Posts
^^I know but its innapropriate - I'm pretty sure its just a working title because its being built on the site previously occupied by the T&G Building. The new building has no association with T&G so they shouldn't be using that name. And Temperance & General is a company the ceased to exist years ago so I'm pretty sure they wont be anchoring the building or applying for naming rights :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
^^ yeah. plus it makes me sad.

Probably best not to go on reminding ourselves of things that weren't considered important enough to keep. Onwards and upwards for this site now.

It all reminds me of Tom's Tavern over in Aitkenvale. There was a great big old Banyan tree that got demolished for the new tavern. Then didn't they call one of the bars "banyans" or something? .... "bastards" would've been better.

·
©
9,470 Posts
^^Yeh, thats really dissapointed that Ergon has scrapped plans to move into the CBD. One of the reasons quoted was they couldn't get enough parking for staff. I'm sick of this small town mentality that every person must have the right to drive to work in their own car, without any passangers and park for free at the front door of their place of work. Its unsustainable, its irresponsible, its selfish and its lazy.
Light rail, light rail.......

·
6,435 Posts
^^Wow, I must have missed that update, cause I have no recollection of reading about it. Anyway, unfortunately nothing came of it. Heres a pic of the site from yesterday. Looks like the owners of the building next door aren't expecting their wall it to be concealed anytime soon :)

1 - 20 of 140 Posts