1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
i've changed my mind
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
baby whinger
1,965 Posts
So once they're done here...they can do Brunswick Street? Just need to install vomit-troughs every 15-20m and open-air urinals.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
So once they're done here...they can do Brunswick Street? Just need to install vomit-troughs every 15-20m and open-air urinals.
in europe open-air urinals arent such a bad thing, in Amsterdam they have unrinals which rise up out of the ground at night time.

quite a good idea i thought, probably not suited to brunswick street though

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Because nothing says 'welcome to our friendly, clean river city' like an open air urinal and vomit trough :fart:

And once again a thread comes back to Europe.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
^
drink the koolaide. urop = utopia.

those carparks are poison. this may improve the aesthetics, but it wont be a functional space until they're gone.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
well excuse me for mentioning anything outside of fucken brisbane, jeez does it phase you that much to see 'europe' mentioned?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
:lol:

Nothing personal, TOCC. Just something I've been noticing lately - Europe tends to be rather idolised around here and every thread generally involves at least one vague reference to how things are done there. But hey - it really doesn't matter.

And yes, of course I got the sarcasm! I didn't seriously think you guys were proposing the above.

Edit: Should also comment on the topic of the thread - the revamp is overdue and most welcome.

·
i've changed my mind
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^
drink the koolaide. urop = utopia.

those carparks are poison. this may improve the aesthetics, but it wont be a functional space until they're gone.
i agree, shared car access at either end of the mall is ridiculous, and looking at the above map, it takes up about half the mall space. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The impact on traffic chaos if those carparks go will be terrible. No really - that many people will not change there travel plans, nor will that many people be able to. If you remove such a significant carpark from a prime location that is SO heavily utilised in an area where on-street parking is already non-existent, you're going to have some real problems.

Going against the grain here, but no way should they remove the carparks. I agree that entering them down the mall in a shared zone is a bad thing, but nothing beyond that.

·
i've changed my mind
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They should have tried to change it so only one end is given up to carpark access. i presume its a private carpark no? and they're being subsided by public space. its wrong. damn wrong.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
They should have tried to change it so only one end is given up to carpark access. i presume its a private carpark no? and they're being subsided by public space. its wrong. damn wrong.
I would agree that public space being used by way of entering the carpark is a bad thing. Not quite sure how else it might be done though given the unique positioning of the carpark and lack of alternative entry points. Would be interesting to know the history of the current setup - was the carpark or the mall there first?

It is a private carpark BTW.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
^
carparks there first.

I'd rather they were removed and the sites better utilised but, as you said, they're private and there's little chance of that happening. That said, i would be great if alternate entrances to them could be made.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The impact on traffic chaos if those carparks go will be terrible. No really - that many people will not change there travel plans, nor will that many people be able to. If you remove such a significant carpark from a prime location that is SO heavily utilised in an area where on-street parking is already non-existent, you're going to have some real problems.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's an abundance of parking anywhere in the Sydney China Town area and yet it flourishes.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
This mall will always be crap until the carpark access lane is removed. It ruins the entire purpose of a mall. The government should do a compulsory acquisition of the carpark, level it, and put something more suited to the area in its place. In fact they should have done this back in the 80's, but it's better late than never.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It's funny that Chinatown in Brisbane doesn't even have a food court. When I'm by myself I don't wanna eat in the restaurant. There are like 4 Asian themed food courts in Sydney's Chinatown and they are really fantastic.

·
baby whinger
1,965 Posts
Why do they need a food court? There's asian restaurants lining either side of the mall and along Wickham Street...I'd rather a restaurant than a crummy food-court diner.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts