SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 360 of 4250 Posts

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
That's correct, 270m. I'm disapointed, however it is still a dam fine tower, and either way this will be the height to meet elsewhere in the city. I wonder if the Parallel Runways would help at all?

·
Registered
574 Posts
GAH! surely pilots are well trained enough they can fly around it, 20m is really not going to make much difference if a plane is trying to avoid crashing into the CBD. Nevertheless still a mighty fine tower for brisbane :)

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
IIRC it is to do with radar shaddows. As aircraft fly along Breaky Creek, the radar could be affected by a 300m tower.

Therefore it has nothing to do with the skills of the professionals involved. It would be good if in the long term they could have it set up to avoid these shaddows being created.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh well that makes a bit more sense then haha. Maybe they should build a reeeeeallly tall building and put the radar ontop of that ;)

·
Registered
76,429 Posts
still 270m is a great height. how many stories?
Rl274m is only 11m higher then Infinitys Rl of263m.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
So 270m is essentially Brisbane's height limit now?

What a load of rubbish. As if it's seriously going to interfere with aviation.

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
@ Mick: Exactly.

Cul, there are still 90 storeys.

·
New Urbanist
5,516 Posts
IIRC it is to do with radar shaddows. As aircraft fly along Breaky Creek, the radar could be affected by a 300m tower.

Therefore it has nothing to do with the skills of the professionals involved. It would be good if in the long term they could have it set up to avoid these shaddows being created.
What can be done to stop this shadowing? And wasn't the approved Vision proposal taller then 270m?

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Yes Soul, but that was with a spire, not building bulk.

·
New Urbanist
5,516 Posts
Obviously CASA needs to install more radar dishes or something???

If height isn't a problem then this could be solved for future towers.

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
I agree Soul, however it isn't just a matter of putting in more dishes, and the cost is more than its worth when it comes to 270m towers being able to go taller. How many are we going to get? What would be the economic impact on the economy if we have a 270m height limit?

I'm irritated, but to be honest, it only sucks for us who like massive towers.

·
New Urbanist
5,516 Posts
I guess if there is a future cashed up developer with big dreams of creating something tall. He/she could contribute some money to expanding our radar coverage.

I'm just happy its not a permanent height issue like Adelaide has.

·
25,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
^^They would need some serious money. I was under the understanding it would cost hundreds of millions.

P.S. I agree with your second point.

341 - 360 of 4250 Posts