Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 686 Posts

·
New Urbanist
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

$600m for new 19-storey Brisbane courthouse
Christine Kellett | June 1, 2007 - 3:58PM

The State Government has unveiled plans for a new 19-storey courts complex in Brisbane's CBD that is expected to cost taxpayers $600 million.

The building, earmarked for a site at the corner of George, Herschel and Roma streets, will replace the aging Supreme, District and Appeals court complex at the corner of George and Ann streets.

Premier Peter Beattie said the new facility would feature an additional 15 court rooms to free up the justice system and increase the number of trials that could be held each year.

Eleven million dollars will be set aside in next week's budget to kick off the project, with construction set to begin soon.

"The new complex will transform the capacity of our courts to meet the special needs of children, vulnerable witnesses, victims of crime and other Queenslanders who deserve our support, in a way that just isn't possible with the current facilities," Mr Beattie said.

At full capacity, the new building will have 47 court rooms divided into dedicated wings for civil and criminal trials, and will include special security measures to protect judges, jurors, prisoners and the public.

A "state-of-the-art" recording suite will also allow vulnerable witnesses to give evidence via CCTV.

"The current courts were built almost 40 years ago and don't meet the needs of the modern justice system which puts a heavier emphasis on victims of crime," Mr Beattie said.

"The (new building's) design also allows sufficient structural capacity to accommodate further technical advances during the life of the building over the next half-century.

The winning design by Architectus Brisbane and Guymer Bailey Architects was announced today and has been given the thumbs up by Queensland's top judge.

Chief Justice Paul de Jersey said the unique glass design reflected "the transparency of contemporary justice."

I am confident Queenslanders will be enthralled and inspired by a new metropolitan courthouse to this unique design. I certainly am," Justice de Jersey said.

"This will establish an inspiring and reassuring new legal precinct, a counter poise, at the other end of George Street, to the grace of Parliament House."

The complex will link the Tank Street pedestrian and bicycle bridge with the Roma Street Parklands and has been given a four and a half-star energy efficiency rating.

It will feature water reharvesting and recycling technology - unlike the current complex, which still uses full-flush toilets.

Architectus designed the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) an its other projects include the Commonwealth Law Courts building on North Quay.

The new complex is expected to be complete by 2011.

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Where exactly is this going? Is it the triangle of land that has been unused for about 30 years, opposite McDonnell and East?

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
nice work, just saw this on channel 9. my opinion is yet to be decided

^^ and yes, opposite McDonnell & East next to the magistrates court

·
7,976 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't take up the full site and there is a bit left over for something of decent height. Good design though, nice glass.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
if the old supreme courts become defunct, imagine the size of the site left over. a whole city block similar to brisbane square

·
26,664 Posts
^^That's what I'm more excited about. The $600M is probably this high due to the high security and technology needed.

·
Premium Member
9,613 Posts
Also it will be pretty plush inside, judges and the legal fraternity do love their conforts and the pollies are happy to provide them. One hand washes the other.

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with Judges being given extra.. It is a pretty big job

·
i've changed my mind
3,880 Posts
yeah me too, i hate the aussie winge mantra when they see people who get more then them.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am excited about this. A great new courthouse to look forward to. I hope they have decent catering facilities for when clients buy me lunch ;)

I like how they make allowances so that the building can be upgraded in line with technology advances over time.

·
Registered
689 Posts
$600 million??? lol...... Alongside paying for the facilities & security.. I wonder if this price tag takes into account collecting income from new the increased amount of fines collected from on the spot infringements - new smoking laws etc, somewhere in the budget.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
^It's a judicial complex - what do you expect?

That should be a decent height for that part of the CBD, shouldn't it? Will tower over the Magistrates Court. Going by that render, it won't take up the entire site - depends how they position it though. They might convert the remainder of the site to parkland.

Actually, I think the reader is looking north-west down George St, and you can see part of the Magistrates Court in the foreground. It also seems to be at the north-west end of the site, north of Tank St. So it may actually be triangular, rather than rectangular, in shape - need another render. In that case, it would leave a decent size space between this building and the Magistrates Court - possibly creating either a park (good for a legal area), or a site for another building of this scale in the future.

http://www.archmedia.com.au/aa/aaissue.php?issueid=200505&article=8&typeon=2

[edit]I've just realised that Herschel St meets Roma St, rather than terminating at George St - it's so obvious now. Given the height, it's probably about 60m wide, meaning it will be set-back roughly 20m north-west of Tank St. So about equal to left-side of the tall white box in the above pic. It won't be perfectly triangular, but it won't be a box either.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...bane-courthouse/2007/06/01/1180205492525.html

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The area between the two buildings is in line with Tank St. Perhaps they plan to have it open space and use it as the main Tank St bridge to Roma St Parklands route.

1 - 20 of 686 Posts