Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 22storey 1972 ANZ Centre cnr castlereagh/Martin place is being refurbed.
they are adding some metres to north face of tower to place the new lift shaft

renders
architects-Crone
reason for refurb

model

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Am I to understand that they are actually removing this buildings core and relocating the lifts to the northern edge? That's quite an engineering feat.

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^yep. thats exactly what they doing. old 60s bldgs were all the same. central cores which was very innefficent with floor layouts. pushing the lift core to back frees up the entrie floor plate. just like new towers such as Duetschbank, 8chifley

·
Registered
77,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^yes, such a prime location in CBD. had to be a good makeover.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like the existing building as well, reminds me of the energy australia building on george and bathurst which I also like..

·
Registered
14,962 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
AltiusAltiusAltius said:
I don't like to see too much glass in Martin Place. Sandstone is much better :)
I agree that it needs to integrate better with the rest of Martin place ! Last chance to do so in this spot for the next 40 years or so

·
Registered
203 Posts
The single worst building IMO, is in one of the best possible spots. Across the road from Hyde Park Barracks and St James church. I hate seeing it every morning as I walk through Hyde Park.

Why dont they fix that, rather than fixing a perfectly good building.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Law Court building, it was recently fixed. Total internal renovations at the cost of tens of millions. Unfortunately they did not ouch the external facade...

I don't like to see too much glass in Martin Place. Sandstone is much better :)
I think the Colonial State Bank building, ie channel 7 studios, is how you do glass in Martin Place. The dark brown tones fit in perfectly with the sandstone, the problem is not glass but the colour scheme they went with, clear glass. Should be a gold or brown.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
The DA is now on public exhibition.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Development/DAsOnExhibition/details.asp?tpk=1061889

There is a heavy focus on the retail podium and the establishment of a flagship retailer on Martin Place as well as reducing passive spaces and blank walls around the buildings three street frontages. The developer is also looking to better activate Hosking Place and ANZ will potentially open a large bank as shown in the renders

1 - 20 of 231 Posts