Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 901 Posts

·
Registered
15,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner of 60 Martin Place is moving to refurbish the building once Westpac vacate en route to Barangaroo.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/.../september/planning-and-development-committee

The planning proposal is still in its infancy, however the owner is seeking a modest height increase (from ~120m to ~138m) and an increase in commercial floorspace (up to 44,000 sq m GFA with dual height retail tenancies mooted for the street frontages).

Presumably, this will come with a relocated lift core to optimise the floor plates.

Couple of screen grabs:

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.17.11 PM by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/...018/213282/140909_PDC_ITEM02_ATTACHMENTA8.PDF

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 7.15.23 PM by Sky_Is_The_Limit1, on Flickr

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/...016/213280/140909_PDC_ITEM02_ATTACHMENTA6.PDF

·
Registered
77,970 Posts
oh no another slopped roof.lol
mush better then current boring tower

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I hope they can do something better than a sloped roof for its top but it will be nice to see this tower given a makeover. It might give the eastern end of Martin Place the mojo it needs.

·
Registered
20,134 Posts
Been slogging through a couple of the documents. Sun access obsession for 14 April 12-2pm pretty much predicates a sloped roof or something similar & restricts the potential of a taller tower unless architect is very clever & creative.

Council is very good at delivering all the fine phrases and key sentiments about supporting and sustaining the financial viability of city towers and yet it smothers proposals in a deluge of conditions, regulations and limitations, most based on some quaint, crafty green ideas of sun access for a few folk at lunchtime.
But we've been through all of this before!

Best hope is for a not overly high but stunning piece of architecture.

·
Registered
20,134 Posts
I don't understand how some overshadowing on some days can be so crucial to the survival of the buildings and the people who lunch.
What do they do on cloudy, wet or overcast days? Wither and die...

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
I don't understand how some overshadowing on some days can be so crucial to the survival of the buildings and the people who lunch.
Constant sunshine is overrated. :lol:

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I like it and if approved, an 18m height increase on top of the existing building is nothing to sneeze at - 15% taller in other words.

And that site is probably about 18m above mean sea level, in one of the highest parts of the CBD; so it makes for a very prominent building along the eastern edge of the city.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What about opening up the rooftops of more office buildings so that workers can soak up the sun up there? We can't keep on building midget blocks just to cater for the Vitamin D deficiencies of sun-deprived office workers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
All things considered, we could get a cute little mid-sized building.
Being on Martin Place, I expect nothing short of a stunning design.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
it was a twin to the RBA building, fat base, thin tower to minimise overshadowing
Maybe a twin timing wise - but certainly the uglier of the two. :) Not convinced about the apparently much denser building (I admit MP is about to be my part of town), but I'd be happy for 60 MP and Norwich House to disappear!

I love the absolute BS in the breakout points - looks like a Nation Building Authority document......

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
What about opening up the rooftops of more office buildings so that workers can soak up the sun up there? We can't keep on building midget blocks just to cater for the Vitamin D deficiencies of sun-deprived office workers.
A bit of common sense there but then there will be the complaints of "its too dangerous for people to be up the top" because its too windy etc.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I worked at the Bank of NSW when I first left school. On the first or second day there, they took us to 60 Martin Place, where we spent some time in the cafeteria on one of the top floors (on the eastern side of the building).

As you can imagine, it was a fantastic view.

I think a similar scheme may be on the way for Norwich Union.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I actually like the idea of having sun in lunchtime though. Our boring corporates don't really get to go outside much in business hours and sometimes don't see the sun the entire day!

Wynyard Park has set camping chairs so people can just sit on it and have lunch there.

1 - 20 of 901 Posts